Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for something similar to replace my Little Mark III

ikay

My trusty LMIII, which has served me well for the last 13 years, has stopped working. Fine one day, dead the next. It seems that most amp techs in the UK won't touch Markbass as MB Italy deal exclusively with Real Electronics for repair and support. I've read some less than encouraging comments about the service from RE (and the cost) so a bit dubious about sending it there. I spoke with Surrey Amps but they won't touch it due to lack of technical materials from MB. Which leaves me looking at options to replace the amp.

The LMIII has worked well for me. It's been a solid workhorse amp, simple but effective EQ (which rarely strays much from 12 o-clock), just plug in and go. Always sounds good. I like amps that are easy to use and 'just work' without too much fiddling around. My first thought was to get another LMIII. But the 'exclusive' arrangement with RE is a put-off in the event that support is needed at any time.

Would appreciate any suggestions for other amps of around 500w that might do the job. Anything that stands above the rest as sounding good out of the box. Ideally with a decent support network. Also, anything to avoid or be wary of.

Thanks for any input!

33 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Ashdown RM500. Similar warm sound, though a more versatile eq. UK based with excellent customer service.

There was one on eBay last week which didn't sell for £100 and was relisted. Must have sold - couldn't find it.

34 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Ashdown RM500. Similar warm sound, though a more versatile eq. UK based with excellent customer service.

+1 for a RM500. I was a massive MB fan. Like you used them for years but when Real's estimate for repairing my Little Mark came to more than it was worth, I went the Ashdown route. We've gone "amp free" now but I loved my Rootmaster and Ashdown customer service is second to none.

• Like 1

The LMIII has cost you around £30 a year, maybe look at replacing it with another or the LMIV, which if it lasts as long will cost you £38 a year. As been said by many there are plenty of us out there who have had no failures and the price Real Electronics charge might not be too bad, from what I understand there is a fixed fee to look at it and then they advise of the charge you for usually a new module. But on something 13 years old maybe put the fee into a  newer one with more features?

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 1

@yorks5stringer that's a good way of looking at it. The RM500 is definitely a contender but it has quite few features I wouldn't use and costs £150 more than the LMIV. 

One slightly odd thing with the LMIII is that the effects loop is wired in parallel rather than series. I wonder if that's the same with the IV? The technical blurb doesn't say.

Edited by ikay

@BassmanPaul  I just tried that and IT WORKED!! There's a mod for the LMIII that changes the effects loop to serial which I did years ago (involves moving a jumper on the circuit board). It's been working fine up until now so I'm a little baffled as to why it should suddenly pack in. But that seems to be the problem and connecting send to return fixes it. Obv something still adrift inside which is a bit of a concern, but I'm back in business. Thanks for suggesting that and I owe you one! 👏🏆

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 0175westwood29 said:

Rm500 is a great choice, id also throw Aguilar th500.

Aguilar are excellent (I use an AG700), but I've heard that getting them fixed is not necessarily easy or cheap, either, although I haven't had to find out as yet. For us in the UK, Ashdown are renowned for backup. I'd suggest looking at Laney, too. Another UK based company and their newer bass amps are very good.

3 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Aguilar are excellent (I use an AG700), but I've heard that getting them fixed is not necessarily easy or cheap, either, although I haven't had to find out as yet. For us in the UK, Ashdown are renowned for backup. I'd suggest looking at Laney, too. Another UK based company and their newer bass amps are very good.

there does seem to be a few more dealers in the uk for aguilar over MB, but i was thinking more in terms of sound aswell aguilar for me anyway having had ashdown, agular and markbass amp the larter two sound closer.

• Like 1

@ikay I'm glad, no I'm delighted to have been of help. Those jacks have contacts that complete the circuit if nothing is connected to the loop. These can corrode over time and the connection is lost. You can leave a small cable, such as ones for interconnecting pedals, permanently attached going forward which will bypass the corroded contacts.

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I have an RM800 Evo2 and a Mark Bass AG1000 (and I've had the LM3 in the past)

I don't think they sound very similar at all. They are both great amps, and I really like both of them, but I don't hear many similarities in tone.

My experience as well. I had an RM 500 for a while but stuck with my MB. 

• Like 1

I have a LM3, and a TE Elf. I’ve been using the Elf out of convenience mostly, it’s just so tiny and fits in a gig bag.

At rehearsal the other day, I had this feeling that it wasn’t doing what I wanted it to do, somehow lacking in the mids, and not quite defined enough. It’s still a good amp, but it got me wondering if I just should use the LM3 more.

Anyway, Friday night, I went to see a band because a great bass player I know had let me know they were playing. What’s he got on stage?, an LM3 and a MB 1x12. How did it sound? Frickin marvellous! It’s convinced me to use mine more, his sound on Friday is more in the direction of what I have in my head. I might keep an eye out for another……

Rob

Edited by ossyrocks
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Friday night, I went to see a band because a great bass player I know had let me know they were playing. What’s he got on stage?, an LM3 and a MB 1x12. How did it sound? Frickin marvellous!

MB stuff always sounds good in the room, in my experience. Just seems to fill the place better than many.

• Like 2