Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for something similar to replace my Little Mark III

ikay

On 23/04/2023 at 13:51, Dan Dare said:

MB stuff always sounds good in the room, in my experience. Just seems to fill the place better than many.

I used Markbass gear for a few years because of this. Seemed whenever I went to see a band play and like the sound it was a Markbass rig the bassist was using, sounded especially great with Fender basses imo. Only moved on as needed some gain/drive.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2023 at 09:06, ossyrocks said:

Anyway, Friday night, I went to see a band because a great bass player I know had let me know they were playing. What’s he got on stage?, an LM3 and a MB 1x12. How did it sound? Frickin marvellous!

A few weeks back I decided to gig with just one NY121P cab and LM3. I was amazed at how good it sounded in a medium sized pub playing moderately loud rock covers. LM3 filters off, all EQ at noon just works most times for me.

Didn't you find the TRV102P sounded as great with your LM3?

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

A few weeks back I decided to gig with just one NY121P cab and LM3. I was amazed at how good it sounded in a medium sized pub playing moderately loud rock covers. LM3 filters off, all EQ at noon just works most times for me.

Didn't you find the TRV102P sounded as great with your LM3?

Like many people, I go all around the houses with cabs and amps, most recently with Barefaced cabs, of which I now have two, a One 10 and a Two 10. I did sell one of my Mark Bass 102P’s, but I kept the minty one, and I have recently reverted back to that setup - LM3 + 102P. I’m gigging that rig today, and on Monday, with the Elf in the bag as backup. It really is a great sounding rig. It’s a sound I haven’t found in anything else I’ve tried, and I can’t put my finger on what it is, like there’s a little magic dust in the air as you play it. Interestingly, I also feel I don’t need the compressor when I use it either. I also set everything at noon with filters off as a starting point, and rarely change it.
When I get a little time, I’m going to do a side by side with the BF Two 10 and the 102P using the LM3, and just see what I think the differences, strengths and weaknesses are are with both. 
Rob

• Thanks 1

Oh, and just a little Public Service Announcement. Richtone have a used 2019 LM3 in stock for £299, which I think is a rather good price for a shop, and shipping is less than a tenner. I nearly bought it myself, but I had a little word with myself and thought better of it.

Rob

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Like many people, I go all around the houses with cabs and amps, most recently with Barefaced cabs, of which I now have two, a One 10 and a Two 10. I did sell one of my Mark Bass 102P’s, but I kept the minty one, and I have recently reverted back to that setup - LM3 + 102P. I’m gigging that rig today, and on Monday, with the Elf in the bag as backup. It really is a great sounding rig. It’s a sound I haven’t found in anything else I’ve tried, and I can’t put my finger on what it is, like there’s a little magic dust in the air as you play it. Interestingly, I also feel I don’t need the compressor when I use it either. I also set everything at noon with filters off as a starting point, and rarely change it.
When I get a little time, I’m going to do a side by side with the BF Two 10 and the 102P using the LM3, and just see what I think the differences, strengths and weaknesses are are with both. 
Rob

Markbass cabs are quite coloured (voiced if you like) it is a bit of a marmite sound. When we rand cab shoot-outs at the SW bass bash, one year the MB was top, the second year it came bottom. The main thing is that it works for you.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2023 at 16:01, Chienmortbb said:

Markbass cabs are quite coloured (voiced if you like) it is a bit of a marmite sound. When we rand cab shoot-outs at the SW bass bash, one year the MB was top, the second year it came bottom. The main thing is that it works for you.

I've found that MB gear doesn't sound particularly special in isolation or when you're stood next to it. As you say, it's a bit coloured and rather "thick" sounding (for want of a better term). However, in a band context, it works extremely well - fat and punchy with a nice warmth. 

I found they had a fairly big top-end roll-off, get a good biting on stage sound and what came through the DI to FOH had considerably more highs. Maybe the intention there was to make things easier when using the DI and not have too much low end going to FOH? But whatever the theory I’m in agreement, they have a very good in the mix sound.

• Like 1