Why become a member? ×

Roxy Music. So underrated

YouMa

Some excellent writing, fabulous basslines and bass-players (all good but Alan Spenner is a particular favourite), and simply sublime production. Rhett Davies is an absolute genius IMO. I saw Roxy last year in Manchester in a venue that is notorious for dire sound. Somebody/everybody in the Roxy crew had clearly been paying attention - even in the cheapest seats, the sound was staggering - faithful to Davies’ ideas and vision (as far as that’s possible live). A bit of an eye-opener

• Like 1

My wife and I rescued a four week old abandoned kitten out of some bramble bushes by the side of a railway track. We named her Roxy Music, can’t remember what we were thinking. But she is still quite feral and weirder than peak Brian Eno. Also she’s French so she doesn’t have a fake aristo accent like Bryan Ferry. She doesn’t seem to like it much when I sing “Saveloy” to the tune of “Avalon” but then nobody else does either. It’s probably too late to rename her now.

E559F5C7-07D1-4687-B11F-186D6975D604.thumb.jpeg.137e5ab0b0244e2fa7dbd52c6f4e8ec7.jpeg

Apologies for the cat related Roxy Music thread derail. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Im pretty sure the technology will be at a point within a few years to allow driverless cars to collect you from home and take you to your destination safely. Your own car will be able to drop you off at the shops and go park itself.

At which point we will have achieved the same results as trams and horse drawn cabs did over 100 years ago but with more congestion and less people employed. Progress is remarkable.

Edited by tegs07
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

Im pretty sure the technology will be at a point within a few years to allow driverless cars to collect you from home and take you to your destination safely. Your own car will be able to drop you off at the shops and go park itself.

At which point we will have achieved the same results as trams and horse drawn cabs did over 100 years ago but with more congestion and less people employed. Progress is remarkable.

Possibly the wrong thread :D 

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

Is that the hidden track on the Music For Airports reissue that no one can ever seem to find?! 

1 hour ago, three said:

Some excellent writing, fabulous basslines and bass-players (all good but Alan Spenner is a particular favourite), and simply sublime production. Rhett Davies is an absolute genius IMO. I saw Roxy last year in Manchester in a venue that is notorious for dire sound. Somebody/everybody in the Roxy crew had clearly been paying attention - even in the cheapest seats, the sound was staggering - faithful to Davies’ ideas and vision (as far as that’s possible live). A bit of an eye-opener

Completely agree re. Rhett Davies. Uncannily over the weekend I listened to Discipline and Wild Planet. Stylistically and sonically both completely different albums, but both produced perfectly by Rhett Davies.

He tends to get overlooked when lists of ‘influential’ producers pop up (imho)… 

• Like 1

Just now, Lozz196 said:

And underrated 

Oh no, I said it again 🫢

Indeed if he was minister for transport (a role he clearly excelled in) we wouldn’t be in this mess. Additionally music in airports, lifts, shops in railways and other mass transport systems wouldn’t be so insufferably sh1te.

• Like 1

Stranded and Manifesto are my favourites. Session ace Alan Spenner played on the latter, and he and Gary Tibbs (latter of & The Ants) leapfrogged around the line-ups for a while in the late 70s and early 80s. If you're a fan of Alan Spenner from this era then you should really hear what he's doing on the original Jesus Christ Superstar, eg

• Like 2

I saw them live in Nottingham in 1975,no one back then ever described Roxy has being underrated, they where a massive influence on so many other bands over the years Even Bowie copied them to some extent, so the word Underrated is not valid at all really.

On 14/04/2023 at 21:58, Old Man Riva said:

There’s a fine reworking of Re-Make/Re-Model that Bryan Ferry does on his Let’s Stick Together album that features a fabulous slinky and groovy bass performance by John Gustafson. You’ve probably heard it, but well worth checking out if not… 

I hadn't heard that version (possibly put off by Ferry's 'tache on the cover) - but as its my favourite song by anyone I just listened...loved it, an unexpected rework (😁) that sounds like the original in the style of In every dream home a heartache. Thanks for the tip Mick!

I'm a big fan of the bass on all the early albums, Country Life has some cracking basslines from JG (Song for Europe, Mother of Pearl...)

30 minutes ago, Kevsy71 said:

I hadn't heard that version (possibly put off by Ferry's 'tache on the cover) - but as its my favourite song by anyone I just listened...loved it, an unexpected rework (😁) that sounds like the original in the style of In every dream home a heartache. Thanks for the tip Mick!

I'm a big fan of the bass on all the early albums, Country Life has some cracking basslines from JG (Song for Europe, Mother of Pearl...)

I did instantly think of you when this thread popped up! 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...