Why become a member? ×

Squier Sonic Series P Bass

PaulThePlug

5 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

Too bad that my experience with quality control for entry level Squiers was dreadful.

maybe QC can be a bit hit & miss as my yellow FSR bullet mustang guitar, once I set it up, is spot-on & punches well above its weight.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

My experience with recent cheapo Squiers is excellent, I picked up a PJ which seems to be the currently available bottom of range thing, and it's great, I'd use it on a gig with no hesitation, plays and sounds better than a lot of "names" I've had in the past.. 

Same here, and the jazz width nut on that Sonic should prove popular😎

Edited by iconic
  • Like 1

I saw these, I assumed that they're replacing the simarly priced Affinity range.

There are some interesting colours and pick up configurations though. I'm tempted to get a purple single humbucker tele as a modding platform.

Edited by Cato

• 2 weeks later...

Under Californian law, anything that contains nickel (in the case of a bass, most likely frets, tuners, strings) is deemed to pose cancer and reproductive risks.

2 hours ago, Grassie said:

That looks like a great modding platform. Stick me down for a blue one 'n all... :)

To expand on what I said above, 2 out of 2 of the modern-production Squier Affinity PJs I jad had truss rod issues. One I returned it, the other I could not return. It proved to be a good mod platform in the sense that now it is a lightweight bitsa with Fender neck. But at the end of the day I spent 180 pounds for a poplar body so not necessarilly a bargain..

Still, I am sure I was unlucky. Orders from shops with good return policies should be ok

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 1

TBH I think that Squier represent better VFM that many of the top of the range gear basses - in recent years I've been pleasantly surprised with the build quality.

You don't need to change any parts - machine heads are perfectly adequate, change the settings on your amp rather than buy new pickups - probably won't stop anybody doing this though.

If I could have bought a bass of this quality for £189 when I started playing I would have been well chuffed.

• Like 1

I’ve never had a Squier, until a few days ago. I was looking for a project, to practice working on, changing parts etc, just for my own amusement.

So I found a mid 00s Frank Bello sig PJ Jazz. I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised. Nicely put together, the neck in particular feels really nice with good fretwork. The hardware is ok, no issues, and it sounds decent too.

Ok, I’ve bought it to completely strip and re-build, but it doesn’t really need it, it’s fine as it is.

I don’t know what constitutes entry level anymore, but as my mate above points out, compared to the MIJ crap we had to put up with in the 70s/80s as our first basses, instruments like these are absolutely great.

• Like 1

I've had nothing but joy from the Squier Bass VI I got a few months ago, to the extent I've been ignoring instruments that cost more than 3 times what the Squier did.

I'd confidentally take a punt on any of the Squier ranges.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cato said:

I've had nothing but joy from the Squier Bass VI I got a few months ago, to the extent I've been ignoring instruments that cost more than 3 times what the Squier did.

I'd confidentally take a punt on any of the Squier ranges.

Same here. I was so impressed with my Bass VI - in pink, no less - that I took a punt on a 50s Precision. Then got another. And another.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi bro, I'm from Indonesia, and FYI currently the Squier company also produces goods made in Indonesia.

I just bought the newest Squier Affinity PJ Bass for US$279.99, and recently Squier released their newest product Squier Sonic Precission Bass at a price of US$ 219.99.

What I want to ask is which is better, Squier Sonic or Squier Affinity PJ? Because I read in an article that the Sonic series is an update of the Bullet series. Where the Affinity series is better than Bullet, is Affinity better than Sonic?

Thank you all, please help.

20230903_231358.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've had two Sonics come to me...a third was returned to vendor before it got to me. 

Now, I'm absolutely a Squier fan boy, still have a first gen' VMJ, owned oodles, rarely get a bad ern. 

Sadly, both the Sonics I've worked on have been poor value to me. 

As soon as I picked the first up it felt cheap, built to a very low budget, lowest bidder, it's an intangible feeling, but you know it when touch it. 

I was chasing both necks for a consistent action, it's as if the wood selection is poor, controls felt a bit rough. Both didn't hold tune very well, may get better with age, or worse🙂

They were not up to Affinity build, more like an Ebay cheapy, in a bad way. They certainly don't feel like a Cor-Tek, Samic? 

Just my experience, maybe three rogues?

Edited by iconic