Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Enhanced 25th Firemist

Tvrtastic

I don't have my Enhanced here at the moment, but when I weighed it before it was around 4.7kg or 10½ pounds. I thought it was fine on stage, but for casual use in the home, its size and weight has got me checking out short scale basses like the Epiphone Newport! 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I have HB P basses which are incredibly well priced and they're not remotely heavy.

That's fair enough. Let's just say they have a tendency to make basses I personally am interested in quite heavy. The two I bought, I sold. The Enhanced and the PJs are reportedly heavy. Even the PB20 with a poplar body, can easily be heavy for what I read. I have good hopes for the poplar JB62. The one on sale in rhe classfields was 4.4kg if I remember correctly, which is ok for a Jazz in the great scheme of things, but it is not on the light side for a poplar body. This makes me suspect that, much for the JB75 I had, they use fairly thick slabs of wood. That being said, other people report lower weigh and I will likely end up ordering one at one point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paolo85 said:

That's fair enough. Let's just say they have a tendency to make basses I personally am interested in quite heavy. The two I bought, I sold. The Enhanced and the PJs are reportedly heavy. Even the PB20 with a poplar body, can easily be heavy for what I read. I have good hopes for the poplar JB62. The one on sale in rhe classfields was 4.4kg if I remember correctly, which is ok for a Jazz in the great scheme of things, but it is not on the light side for a poplar body. This makes me suspect that, much for the JB75 I had, they use fairly thick slabs of wood. That being said, other people report lower weigh and I will likely end up ordering one at one point.

I'm guessing that maybe the heavier cuts of wood are a cheaper bulk buy for HB, helping in one way of the many to bring down the cost of decent instruments to the consumer? 

Totally guessing though. 

However they do it is nothing short of amazing.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

I'm guessing that maybe the heavier cuts of wood are a cheaper bulk buy for HB, helping in one way of the many to bring down the cost of decent instruments to the consumer? 

Totally guessing though. 

However they do it is nothing short of amazing.

I would guess that they do it by a combination of rock bottom Chinese labour prices and the distribution capacity and relative low cost web based sales of Thoman’s online platforms.

The couple I have tried have been very good for the price but a little on the heavy side.

• Like 1

I can believe that. If I play long gigs ever again, I'll want something light and more ergonomic for the majority of the time, and keep a heavier bass like that for certain songs. I have used it with 50-120 balanced tension strings already, tuned DGCF (opt. drop C) and still have those strings for that.

PS Low End Lobster just released a review of the HB PB-20 SBK, the basic P-bass in satin black. Weight 8.8 lbs, he says.

• Like 2

On 31/03/2023 at 09:21, Pea Turgh said:

If they did a Mustang in this colour, I’d be on it.

If they did a lefty Mustang at all, I'd be on it by now. I bet it would look great in this finish too!

I love that they're doing lefties of most (if not all) of the 25th anniversary models, especially the Jazzmaster looks tempting (even despite the tort pickguard) - and according to the specs it has an alder body too, instead of the regular basswood for that model! Oddly, the video of the JA-60 25th on their website contradicts that though so I'm not quite sure? I love the roasted, figured maple neck and the stainless steel frets too. 

My only experience with HB so far is the PB Shorty that I bought used recently. It's fun, but the hardware, fit and finish (and especially the fretwork) are everything you'd expect from a €99 bass. I really do hope these 25th anniversary models are better. 

Edited by LeftyJ

5 hours ago, stewblack said:

I have HB P basses which are incredibly well priced and they're not remotely heavy.

I only have one HB PB20, and it's is pretty heavy going if I'm honest. The JB 62 I just got is deffo lighter. 

I'm considering getting another jazz bass bass from HB to put th3 neck on my PB20, once I've checked the neck pockets are compatible. Now only if they started to do their roasted necks in kit form..!

Edited by Bobo_08
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobo_08 said:

I only have one HB PB20, and it's is pretty heavy going if I'm honest. The JB 62 I just got is deffo lighter. 

I'm considering getting another jazz bass bass from HB to put th3 neck on my PB20, once I've checked the neck pockets are compatible. Now only if they started to do their roasted necks in kit form..!

HB PB20 4.35kg

HB JB62 4.22kg

These are right on the limit I'm willing to accept, I'm not old or infirm but neither do I wish to develop any kind of shoulder or back injury. 

By comparison my Yamaha ,TRBX304 made from mahogany is 3.9kg. obviously more expensive by about x 2.5 compared to Harley Bentons. 

Frankly in the overall scheme I would be willing to pay a little extra for a HB bass that was say 300g

lighter. 

Edited by Bobo_08
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tegs07 said:

I would guess that they do it by a combination of rock bottom Chinese labour prices and the distribution capacity and relative low cost web based sales of Thoman’s online platforms.

The couple I have tried have been very good for the price but a little on the heavy side.

Yes a combination of all these things is what helps keep the cost down, they have zero marketing costs too and basically no middle men to take a cut which helps.

Interesting Dingwall produce guitars in china but also maintains Premium price of circa £1500.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobo_08 said:

I'm not old or infirm but neither do I wish to develop any kind of shoulder or back injury. 

Frankly in the overall scheme I would be willing to pay a little extra for a HB bass that was say 300g

lighter. 

I feel the same. My back is ok for now but clearly back problems are quite common among bass players. I work in front of a computer and I have been meaning to start doing sports for many years now. Unless something kills me, there is potential for a few decades of playing ahead of me and if that turns out to be the case I don't think it's likely I would be one of the lucky ones without back problems. Especially as I play standing up most of the time.

I could see myself tempted by playing a heavy 60s precision. Not really tempted by playing a heavy bass just to get a supercheap one instead of a quite cheap one

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paolo85 said:

Yet the MB4 Snide'rays seem consistently ok weight wise. 

But one mans heavy is another mans reassuringly substantial😉

Edited by iconic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I've cracked. It's on the way.

But don't you find that after you choose one to play and go around and apologize to all the others you own there is no time left to play. I know I do. Na Testicleese let em work for their place in my affections.

Lazy scum get it easy compared to a bass that is the only one in the place. 🤣

58 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

But don't you find that after you choose one to play and go around and apologize to all the others you own there is no time left to play. I know I do. Na Testicleese let em work for their place in my affections.

Lazy scum get it easy compared to a bass that is the only one in the place. 🤣

I empathise with these sentiments 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stewblack said:

I've cracked. It's on the way.

I know you saw my NBD thread in which I criticised the stock electronics, but you might get on better with them than I did, especially if you use an amp. That Roswell PM-4 (P) pickup has to have the most powerful output I have ever heard from a bass, it's an absolute unit of a pickup.

9 hours ago, bnt said:

I know you saw my NBD thread in which I criticised the stock electronics, but you might get on better with them than I did, especially if you use an amp. That Roswell PM-4 (P) pickup has to have the most powerful output I have ever heard from a bass, it's an absolute unit of a pickup.

I shall reserve judgement until I have given it a good go. But hopefully I get on ok with it. 

I'm genuinely intrigued to see what this one is like. It's by far the most expensive HB I've ever bought - will that affect my judgement I wonder?

• Like 1

On 21/04/2023 at 09:12, stewblack said:

I shall reserve judgement until I have given it a good go. But hopefully I get on ok with it. 

I'm genuinely intrigued to see what this one is like. It's by far the most expensive HB I've ever bought - will that affect my judgement I wonder?

When does the Eagle land?

46 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Is it tomorrow yet?

Can you send us the tracking ID so we know when it arrives 😂😂

But seriously, I am considering buying this bass but I am interested to see their approach in terms QC and materials selection, the JB62 I bought is ok, but has some uneven frets and what appears to be a bow in the neck higher up towards these things combined are preventing me from the action where I would like it. 

The big thing I'm interested in is the weight... My JB62 weighed in at over 4kg which for a poplar body is on the heavy side, as the 25th anniversary firemist is American alder I am concerned it could be heavier!. 

• Haha 1