Why become a member? ×

Unable to play with a pick

smithy

Being a confirmed finger player I have to admit that sometimes (just sometimes) I feel the need to use a pick....

There´s only one thing to hold back - I can´t play with a pick !! After weeks of practicing there should be at least a slight improvement, no?!

Looking for a culprit (except me) I noticed that narrower string spacing might be helpful.

Does it make sense to try with a cheap Harley Benton VI for example ?

Are there others outside with the same difficulties or am I just too goofy?

Any help is welcome.

Edited by smithy
  • Like 1

I followed several tutorials and tried to practice the recommended exercises but I just can´t hit the strings. I simply don´t find them. Even looking at my right hand doesn´t help. I feel like I´m actually lost in between the strings. Total desorientation . ZZTop made a song "Driving while blind" That´s how I feel  with a pick.

I'd kind of be like that with a guitar, with it's silly little skinny strings so close together, hence my thoughts that wider might equal easier. 

Maybe just play on one string to start with, then add the string next to it and build slowly from that? 

Just an idea off the top of my head, I'm no teacher, wouldn't have the patience! 😁

Well - that was my first step and picking only one string was OK and adding the second string came out as well but then - Over.

Believe me, I really tried, but I think I have to give up the idea of picking. It seems impossible to me to alternate between more than two strings.

Finger playing - no problem. Pick - chaos.

Maybe I´ll have to accept that.

Am I the only one with such a problem?

Weeks? Think back to when you first started playing, how long did it take to sound any where near decent? It can be disheartening to not nail a new technique after a shortish while but, if it’s totally new, then you need to be realistic and accept that it may take months to be just average. I’m lucky in that, coming from a guitar background, my pick chops were already ok, IMO. My fingerstyle, however, was another question, but that eventually developed as I became a better bass player, again IMO. Give it more time and, perhaps, just play pick style all the time and not revert to the more comfortable fingerstyle, until you’re at a level you find acceptable.

• Like 1

OK  i said " weeks " ,but actually there were ten to twelve of them, so others would call it three months.😉

And I´m not exaggerating. There´s is really no (!!) improvement.

Perhaps I´m just lacking that motor skills, perhaps it´s the result of an earlier finger or wrist  injury ( there were lots of those)

Maybe I just should be grateful that finger playing does work.

Edited by smithy

Try a triangle shaped pick Tortex or Ultex and practice on the E string and A string only at first alternating between the two with 8th notes 

Don’t grip the pick too hard and I find anchoring my picking hand on the bass helps a lot. 

If your picking hand is floating around or hovering you will be very hit and miss !! 

Also pick closer to the bridge as the tension is higher on the strings and reduce string bounce. 

On a PBass just over or behind the pickup is best for me.

Finally adjust your EQ as it will sound weak and bass lacking if not !

Maybe try different picks (a lot of brands offer variety packs).

The actual pick, thickness, material and flexibility has a larger say in not only tone but also feel than most people realizes.

You might find that simply finding the right pick for you will make picking a lot easier for you.

Most bass players prefer relatively thick picks, but there are no rules, or such a thing as the ultimate one best pick for everyone, and I for instance really prefer the Dunlop USA Nylon .73mm, which is relatively flexible.

Also to add what other people have already suggested, grip the pick close to the tip for improved control.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Maybe try different picks.

The actual pick, thickness, material and flexibility has a larger say in not only tone but also feel than most people realizes.

You might find that simply finding the right pick for you will make picking easier for you.

Most bass player prefer relatively thick picks, but I for instance really prefer the Dunlop USA Nylon .73mm, which is relatively flexible.

Definitely this... also, I would highly, highly recommend trying a thumbpick. I use Herco heavies and for an occasional pick player like me they are absolutely wonderful. I'll never go back to normal picks now.

image.png.50e1c7ba511f4629bdd332f47467e42f.png

• Like 1

Another thing you should be aware of technique wise, other than what BassAdder60 mentions, and the part about gripping the pick close the tip for better control that I mentioned, is to not use your arm to strum the pick, by far the majority of the movement is supposed to be in your wrist, not your elbow. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, chris_b said:

I've never played a song that didn't work with fingers.

Sadly, I have. In my repertoire it's only a handful, but without a pick they just don't work.

The most obvious ones are Summertime Blues and C'mon Everybody, but I can't get Let's Dance or Down Down to sound right with fingers either.

For pick playing I don't use the traditional thumb + forefinger grip, instead I use thumb + first two fingers. It's clumsy and restrictive, but you know exactly where you are and you're much less likely to drop the pick.

@BassAdder60 is spot on with the whole 'anchoring your hand' thing. With my r'n'r band I play a Precision with '57 pickup cover in place, so I rest the side of my hand on that and pluck between pickup and neck. With my covers band I play (mostly) a Rick 4003s5 with a sensible bridge so I rest the side of my hand on that and pluck over the bridge pickup.

21 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Sadly, I have. In my repertoire it's only a handful, but without a pick they just don't work.

The most obvious ones are Summertime Blues and C'mon Everybody, but I can't get Let's Dance or Down Down to sound right with fingers either.

For pick playing I don't use the traditional thumb + forefinger grip, instead I use thumb + first two fingers. It's clumsy and restrictive, but you know exactly where you are and you're much less likely to drop the pick.

@BassAdder60 is spot on with the whole 'anchoring your hand' thing. With my r'n'r band I play a Precision with '57 pickup cover in place, so I rest the side of my hand on that and pluck between pickup and neck. With my covers band I play (mostly) a Rick 4003s5 with a sensible bridge so I rest the side of my hand on that and pluck over the bridge pickup.

This is spot on .. I have the HiMass bridge on my Pbasses and when called for palm mute nicely.

I too can play my whole set ( even the Trooper ) with fingers and it sounds decent but .. to really hear tone differences I find the clarity of a pick is hard to beat. 
Using a good compressor with a pick adds to the thump too 👍

Keep practicing and it will become easy after a time. 
I think incorrect holding techniques will hamper any progress and you’re more likely to drop the pick or miss a string ! 

Edited by BassAdder60

21 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

How do you get on with that? Getting back into bass, and it's high on the list of bad habits to drop- if im playing too long my thumb cramps up, cant keep it up. It does help sling your bass low enough to be down with the (90s) kids, though...

1 hour ago, G-Lo said:

How do you get on with that? Getting back into bass, and it's high on the list of bad habits to drop- if im playing too long my thumb cramps up, cant keep it up. It does help sling your bass low enough to be down with the (90s) kids, though...

Bad habit holding the pick wrong, or bad habit playing with a pick at all?

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Bad habit holding the pick wrong, or bad habit playing with a pick at all?

Holding the pick a way that I cant sustain too long. Picks are amazing for a lot of genres. Fat Mike goes into it quite deeply on a youtube vid somewhere out there...