Why become a member? ×

Early 80s - Great for Bass

Lozz196

Yup, agree there but don't forget the 70s, also an iconic age for decent up in the mix bass succulence. 

Oddly listerning to some of these DAB 80s n 70s radio stations I'm amazed how much of what I thought was 80s music is in fact mid to late 70s....age is catching up with me....Buggles for instance. 

Edited by iconic
  • Like 1

I agree with @Lozz196 for bass the early 80s was a great era. In terms of the prominence if the instrument in the mix. It was when I started on the bass so I'm probably biased.

The decade itself is a real musical game of two halves. Amazing at the start dwindling by '84 and dominated by absolute garbage after '85.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, stewblack said:

The decade itself is a real musical game of two halves. Amazing at the start dwindling by '84 and dominated by absolute garbage after '85.

Like the 70s, the 80s were good at the beginning and again at the end, and boring in the middle.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2023 at 20:24, SteveXFR said:

Do Stranglers count as early 80s? I think Peaches has the greatest bass tone ever. Absolutely disgraceful and brilliant at the same time 

As others have alluded to this, I would suggest that the best decade would be from the mid 70s to the mid 80s, so yes, it would definitely include the Stranglers in my book.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I agree with @Lozz196 for bass the early 80s was a great era. In terms of the prominence if the instrument in the mix. It was when I started on the bass so I'm probably biased.

Due to the rise and influence of Stock Aitken and Waterman. IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Due to the rise of and influence of The Smiths and other tuneless guitar bands IMO.

Yup, give me SAW any day over Morrissey and other miserable indie mopers. Think the UK generally had it better than the US in the 80s. We never had to really put up with hair metal, stadium AOR and all that anodyne c@ck.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Velarian said:

As others have alluded to this, I would suggest that the best decade would be from the mid 70s to the mid 80s, so yes, it would definitely include the Stranglers in my book.

Yes! 77 to 84 for me. A 7 year decade!

• Like 3

On 18/03/2023 at 16:34, Cat Burrito said:

I started learning in the late 80s and picked bass as it was always the "cool" instrument. It's funny to me now that it seems to have reverted back to being the instrument a lot of people play as a second choice / the bass player being the awkward one. In the 80s bass was definitely king! 

Nope, always been king :) 

• Like 1

On 23/03/2023 at 09:28, BigRedX said:

Like the 70s, the 80s were good at the beginning and again at the end, and boring in the middle.

On 23/03/2023 at 10:47, BigRedX said:

Due to the rise of and influence of The Smiths and other tuneless guitar bands IMO.

On 23/03/2023 at 09:32, Velarian said:

On 23/03/2023 at 16:15, stewblack said:

Yes! 77 to 84 for me. A 7 year decade!

Yep, what they said 👆

Early 70s: Glam rock, Prog, Bowie, Sabbath, Zep and Purple

Late 70s-early 80s: Punk, & (what later became known as) post punk, Rush

Though I was more into the Sex Pistols and the Damned at the time, the mid to late 70s had some great disco stuff out of America too.

• Like 1