Why become a member? ×

Affection for my basses

So I've recently managed to condense my bass collection down to four basses, one of which I've had for over 30 years and the others that have been relatively recent acquisitions. 

While having a quick play with them yesterday I had a familiar warm fuzzy feeling that I usually get when I'm with old mates and have had a few beers. It was a feeling of genuine affection for them and one that I've never really had before with all the (many many) basses I've owned previously.

Should I be worried?  Is this the end of the road for me in terms of buying and selling? I may need to phone my doctor on Monday for an appointment and for all your sakes (and for the sake of the economy) I really hope it's not contagious. I'm thinking of changing our house name to Dunbuyin. 

Please think of me in your prayers tonight. 

18399927-CFE0-417A-9B91-FEEA81246E53.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'd say it's good to distill it down to just what you like and feel good about, and concentrate on playing rather than fussing about kit. 

I've never really been emotionally attached to instruments as such, there's ones I've particularly liked, but they're a lump of inanimate wood at the end of the day. It's like getting attached to a car, I don't really get that either. 

• Like 1

I’m only particularly attached to  one of mine, this due to what I’ve done with it, Rebellion Festival, first overseas tours, last 3 albums, stuff like that. It’s just a regular US Standard Fender Precision, I only play it at home but the genuine feel of enjoyment that I get from playing that bass is something I don’t get from any of the others.

14 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

It was a feeling of genuine affection for them and one that I've never really had before with all the (many many) basses I've owned previously.

Should I be worried?

I had a very similar experience yesterday, where I played all of my basses. What was extremely satisfying was playing my EUB through my recently acquired Behringer graphic EQ pedal, with a smiley face curve, resembling the Dr Feelgood logo. No more messing about with my amp’s, mainly flat, EQ and then having to reset it; now I’m good to go.

Worry? No, not at all, GAS, coupled with curiosity, will return soon enough.

BTW I’ve just noticed the somewhat forward position of the J pickup on your ‘Berg, that makes a lot of sense to me. Was that off the peg or custom?

Recent years, painful sadly, has forced me to part with some really beautiful basses. Ones that as a kid I’d never thought I’d ever be able to own. It still feels odd seeing them in the hands of other players as they were rather identifiable!

What I have left with is a few instruments that I just can’t bear to part with. No, I didn’t want to sell the other but I made my peace begrudgingly. I took one of my keepers out to a rehearsal for a new band last night. It just brought a huge amount of warmth and satisfaction. So glad I own it, if that makes sense?

GAS is still obsessional with me and, well, my job doesn’t help - you should see what is sat in my studio right now! Currently a one-off premium bass. 

I’m ok knowing that what I have now is the result of a long journey!

hmmmm, I still want a really nice fretless though…

and a musicman style bass.. 

and..

oh god… 🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I've found that Gear Satisfaction is a temporary condition. 

Give it a few weeks and you'll be back to craving something new.

GAS versus TGS! I think you’ve just coined a new phrase! 

1 minute ago, Dood said:

GAS versus TGS! I think you’ve just coined a new phrase! 

I have TGS just after acquiring anything new. The times that I’ve said, “Right, that’s me done,” makes me think that part of my brain likes a joke, but the rest of my cerebellum isn’t in on it.

• Haha 4

I adore my Warlock. It plays and sounds ace. I had wanted one since the 80s but didn’t get mine until around 2012/3. And to this day my heart skips a beat when I look at it.

I have an Aria Pro II Magna Series 5 string. I absolutely hate the look of the thing, it’s hideous! But it actually sounds great and plays well, too. I don’t know how to feel about it…

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I'd say it's good to distill it down to just what you like and feel good about, and concentrate on playing rather than fussing about kit. 

I've never really been emotionally attached to instruments as such, there's ones I've particularly liked, but they're a lump of inanimate wood at the end of the day. It's like getting attached to a car, I don't really get that either. 

Waddo, don't start me on my car! Oh no! I've come over all funny again. Is there a doctor in the house? 🫣

A5395BEA-9511-4508-B30C-2AA9A9B40254.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

Waddo, don't start me on my car! Oh no! I've come over all funny again. Is there a doctor in the house? 🫣

A5395BEA-9511-4508-B30C-2AA9A9B40254.jpeg

Don't get me wrong, I've done lots of stuff with old "classic" cars and rebuilt a few from scratch, but at the end of the day they're a Metal Box and a tool, not a living thing, and I can't get emotional about them really. 

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Don't get me wrong, I've done lots of stuff with old "classic" cars and rebuilt a few from scratch, but at the end of the day they're a Metal Box and a tool, not a living thing, and I can't get emotional about them really. 

Perfectly fair comment. I am overly nostalgic for the days when I merely aspired to be a nobody. Now I am one, it's all downhill. Where did I put my therapist's number ... ... 

• Haha 4

It's like much in life. We chase around, looking for "the one". When/if we are fortunate enough to find it (or realise it was under our noses all the time), we no longer feel driven to search. It may only be a temporary respite, of course -  our desires and needs change over time - but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

2 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

It's like much in life. We chase around, looking for "the one". When/if we are fortunate enough to find it (or realise it was under our noses all the time), we no longer feel driven to search. It may only be a temporary respite, of course -  our desires and needs change over time - but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

You are sir, a philosopher and write words of wisdom. 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dood said:

Recent years, painful sadly, has forced me to part with some really beautiful basses. Ones that as a kid I’d never thought I’d ever be able to own. It still feels odd seeing them in the hands of other players as they were rather identifiable!

What I have left with is a few instruments that I just can’t bear to part with. No, I didn’t want to sell the other but I made my peace begrudgingly. I took one of my keepers out to a rehearsal for a new band last night. It just brought a huge amount of warmth and satisfaction. So glad I own it, if that makes sense?

GAS is still obsessional with me and, well, my job doesn’t help - you should see what is sat in my studio right now! Currently a one-off premium bass. 

I’m ok knowing that what I have now is the result of a long journey!

hmmmm, I still want a really nice fretless though…

and a musicman style bass.. 

and..

oh god… 🤣😂

Exactly how I feel about my 'keeper', bought new in '76

5124320F-8EB4-4070-BF7B-11ABB424EB54.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

I had a very similar experience yesterday, where I played all of my basses. What was extremely satisfying was playing my EUB through my recently acquired Behringer graphic EQ pedal, with a smiley face curve, resembling the Dr Feelgood logo. No more messing about with my amp’s, mainly flat, EQ and then having to reset it; now I’m good to go.

Worry? No, not at all, GAS, coupled with curiosity, will return soon enough.

BTW I’ve just noticed the somewhat forward position of the J pickup on your ‘Berg, that makes a lot of sense to me. Was that off the peg or custom?

To be honest I hadn't noticed that on the Sandberg, but then I'm not that observant and only found out last week my wife didn't work at Woolworths anymore. 

• Haha 8

• 2 months later...

I find myself in the same situation. I do not feel like buying a bass. I have felt like that for weeks. That is weird!

I am left with

- A Stingray-inspired Cort which is great (although it needs a fret dressing) and I bought when I was around 18 - I don't feel like selling. Especially as it has minor issues and would sell for peanuts

- A PJ bitsa which at the end of the day has everything I could ask from a bass. I just love it and reach for it most of the time

-A Squier P with Wilkinson pickup, a great neck with lovely small frets and flatwounds for some old school tones

-A Squier VM J with a neck that better than that would feel to me like cheating. And great pickups

-A Fazley fretless PJ with a very good neck, good balance, and sounds alright. It's a boat anchor but I play fretless so little that anything more would feel like a waste

These basses cover all I could reasonably think of using. And I have run out of space. The basses are what's left after I bought or otherwise acquired 14 basses, and got rid of most of them. I have made mods to most of them (in fact, when the new tuners for the J will arrive, all of them) to suit my needs. They are all extremely good for what I paid. Selling them would not make me rich, but trying to find basses that I like more could make me poor.

Let's see how long I last before buying another one! :D

20230519_214457.jpg

• Like 3