Why become a member? ×

Double Necks

Waddo Soqable

5 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Rutherford was mainly a bass bloke tho wasn't he... And Mr Smalls  of course😁

I don’t think he was. I think of him as a guitarist first and foremost, but he obviously can play bass.

He spent a lot of his early years in Genesis playing 6 and 12 string guitar as well as bass pedals.

I have this one, and played it in duo gigs - not a note of prog in sight 😃 . Here, my partner in crime is helping me cope with the weight. It was very much a show thing as for what we did, there was no real need to swap instruments mid-song.

R0010634-1.thumb.jpg.e0bd0aeb8a817a27e5f0af230e17ca46.jpg

I still have it. As far as I know, twin necked guitars were designed with the main instrument (the one most often played) on the bottom. In the duo, I usually played guitar but occasionally strayed into bass territory and it was fairly comfortable to play, albeit at the 80's fashion 'mid-chest' position. In later years I had the guitar side fitted with a Roland GK3 pick up feeding either a VG8 guitar processor or a GR33 guitar synth. I haven't seen this photo for a few years and I can see I'm playing through a Marshall JMP1 valve pre-amp (in the rack behind me) into a guitar amp. My Strat is ready for when my back gives in and I have to shed the Spirit 😃.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, ezbass said:

A closer inspection seems to indicate that that is the case here.

As do the words "Red, fretted and fretless." just above the picture.

I had a cheapy Chinese fretted/fretless, 5 string fretted and 4 string fretless. I'd like a 5-string fretted/fretless headless but Aliexpress doesn't have any.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tauzero said:

I had a cheapy Chinese fretted/fretless, 5 string fretted and 4 string fretless. I'd like a 5-string fretted/fretless headless but Aliexpress doesn't have any.

:facepalm:

A case of posting without reading. In my defence, I was distracted by the picture. Ooh, look! A bee.

15 hours ago, Tokalo said:

Is this the bit where we can openly talk about Barclay James Harvest?

Les Holroyd was my hero when I was 14.

image.jpeg.bbbf373909205007837d7c66bb12441c.jpeg

I also thought Mr Holroyd to be a god of bass. (He also played an Alembic as I recall - rare to see those back in the day). I couldn't afford the Gibson - never mind the Alembic - so I got Jack Golder of Shergold to make me this one. I did have the Holroyd Hair though!

0645CF40-CD77-4389-A4E3-5A9AA3A47601.jpeg

• Like 7

Got this in a case at the back of a cupboard somewhere - when I bought it my prog originals band had a few songs that would've benefited from fretless interludes on some parts.

Never even made it to a rehearsal before the live band fell apart - fortunately for my back...

gordy03.thumb.jpg.bccc0a08e643325fa62be2fba37074a8.jpg

It's a 1985 Gordy Blueshift, & as far as I can make out it's a one - off, originally built for Pete Glennon, who seems to have been a player active in the Manchester area in the 70s & 80s.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Haha - don't notice anything when there is a picture!

Must admit as much as I would love a double neck, I think fretted // fretless probably isn't enough of a difference for the extra weight - I would just play the fretless in a fretted way!

would have to be a guitar / bass.