Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5’s

Chris Horton

• 1 month later...

I love this thread.

The ray5 neck shape is my absolute favourite for a 5 string. Amazing how much of a difference that 0.5mm narrower nut can make!

I've had 2, but alas unless EBMM find a way of making them about 7lb I won't be having another one.

Or I win the lottery and can get Shuker to make me something very similar!

• Haha 1

I took a 3 hour detour on our honeymoon in 1990 to buy a 2nd hand Stingray 5. My wife was not amused. I then wait straight into a playing session with no 5 string acclimatisation. Extra string? No sweat. Actually lots of sweat. And polytonality. I eventually sold it. My wife was unamused again. 

• Haha 2

Do you know. 

I miss my SR5’s.

just listened to a batch of old recordings and I sounded better, played better and suited SR5’s.

dummy move.

I’ll have another soon. I hope.

will have to be an early one, 90’s. 

I briefly had a SBMM Ray35, but it did not have the right sound for me. I sold it after a few months without regret.

This EBMM hits all the right spots for me. Maybe a tad too heavy, but with the right strap no problem for me. I'm convinced it's a keeper.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Do you know. 

I miss my SR5’s.

just listened to a batch of old recordings and I sounded better, played better and suited SR5’s.

dummy move.

Gas attack! Masks on! Danger! Danger! 😋

I don't own one anymore, but sometimes I still kinda miss it. It was such a lovely workhorse, with a great neck. I never really bonded with it tonally, and never quite got it to sound right in my bands, but I always enjoyed playing it. It also had quite a spectacular finish, the rare Autumn Redburst sparkle finish. I traded it for a Status S2 Classic with Rob @Bonin-in-the boneyard and haven't looked back, that one is my main bass now and I'm still madly in love. Rob has since sold it, but bought another out of seller's remorse :lol:

This SR5 was previously owned by Phil Barker of IONA. I bought it from him off eBay, and when IONA played a gig local to me he got me on the guest list to come pick it up after their gig. Awesome guy! 

SR5autumnredburst1.jpg.fb3d7e976d72c87ec373a01291bc6959.jpg

SR5autumnredburst2.jpg.02a26e42217bd436eef00354703b5152.jpg

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2023 at 22:21, AndyTravis said:

Do you know. 

I miss my SR5’s.

dummy move.

I was oogling the two you had up @AndyTravisbut never had the cash 😆 

Still don't....

On 11/05/2023 at 22:21, AndyTravis said:

Do you know. 

I miss my SR5’s.

dummy move.

Why are the 90s better, just out of interest?

Seems to be the prevailing opinion

4 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

Why are the 90s better, just out of interest?

Seems to be the prevailing opinion

It was slightly more aggressive, a bit more alive.

the 2000’s one was lovely, more warmth.

lucky to have owned 2

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Wish I’d bought this from Andy Baxter, just couldn’t stomach the price, which was about £500 more than I’d paid for my 2000’s from a retail shop and £650 more than I’d paid privately for my 1993 

IMG_2502.jpeg

A fine example

On 21/05/2023 at 20:30, AndyTravis said:

Wish I’d bought this from Andy Baxter, just couldn’t stomach the price, which was about £500 more than I’d paid for my 2000’s from a retail shop and £650 more than I’d paid privately for my 1993 

IMG_2502.jpeg

That's the exact bass I had back in the mid 90s and sold before I moved down under for a couple of years. God I still miss it now.

That and a Sabre exactly the same colour/guard/board which I briefly saw hanging on a music shop wall in Glasgow about 20 years ago.

I went to go back and try it a couple of days later but it was gone. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, dub_junkie said:

That's the exact bass I had back in the mid 90s and sold before I moved down under for a couple of years. God I still miss it now.

That and a Sabre exactly the same colour/guard/board which I briefly saw hanging on a music shop wall in Glasgow about 20 years ago.

I went to go back and try it a couple of days later but it was gone. 

Been there (so often), done that (ditto). 😭

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...