Why become a member? ×

Gigging with a bad back

police squad

Yup. I feel your pain. One prolapsed disc which occasionally decides it wants to rub on my spinal cord, and one worn disc which means I get crepitus and can actually feel two of my vertebrae rubbing together. 

I sold my heavy old cabs and bought the lightest ones I could afford and had to give up playing my 6 string which weights in at a whopping 14lbs. 

I wear a back brace when loading and playing, but the biggest change is I bought myself one of those folding guitar stand chairs. It doesn't take up much more room than a normal guitar stand, and it means that I can sit down if the pain gets too bad, or preferably before. 

It may not be very "rock n roll" but it means I get to keep playing. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Saul Panzer said:

Just had my second physio appointment on Monday, glad to see the world doesn't entirely end with a back injury.

Feels like it does, kind of humbling when a 1km walk is an achievement.

just being able to walk my dog atm, is an achievement

• Like 1

2 disc bulges here as well...

The consultant at Gobowen told me years ago (15!) that I had 2 courses of action; either have surgery, with all the risks that entails and no guarantee of success, or build core strength in order to support the injured area (I got it attempting to lift a Triumph spitfire back end!).

So every morning I do an exercise routine - some yoga to help keep joints moving, 300 fully supported crunchies (twist and straight), some Pilates/yoga back stretches (cat, upenarsinan or whatever it's called etc), 2 minutes plank, 50 press ups, lunges, hip flexes, Sun Salute (i.e reach right up then touch the ground with as straight legs as you can).

It's kept me pain-free and able to mountain bike, climb etc, though it took nearly 6 months of exercises to get to that state. I shall continue with this regime until I'm no longer able to move at all!

• Like 4

I also have a bulging disc which the physio reckons comes into contact with the nerves around it when my pain flares up. I do morning execises but it is a very light regime compared to some of you guys, basically managing it more than cure.

Not sure what caused mine but it used to show itself most when opening the tailgate of my car?

Like mentioned previously lightweight gear although I can manage to pick up the pa cabs these days.

• Like 1

Gig - no problem. Lifting in and out - no problem though I do sometimes put a sports support belt round me. Short drive home - no problem. Long drive home.... I sieze up in the car. Before now I've had to crawl out head first. When I get in I have to be careful how I sit back or I won't get out of the chair again. I go to bed like a thousand year old man curled up in a ball and wake up the next day like nothing happened.

I could sit at home and watch Ant and Macyntyre get talented in a  love jungle or whatever it's called or I can think to hell with it and crack on. 

Sadly , I know some of you have proper serious back issues and it must be frustrating beyond words.

I sit on a stool, having had assorted back issues for years, starting after a bike crash in 2001 which broke several ribs round my right scapula and caused a fair bit of soft tissue damage. More recently, my back deteriorated during lockdown as I wasn't walking enough.

• Sad 1

When my body is playing up, I go to this thing called KCR - kinectic chain release. 

I’ve used a woman up here for years - she managed to fix me after ruining my knee at tough mudder, ruined my shoulder boxing and most recently when I injured myself at the gym. 

If you can find a KCR person near by, i’d defo recommend giving it a go! 

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I thought exercise was supposed to be good for you. I've never hurt myself watching the telly. 😂

😂 I agree! I put my back out last year too. Heavy deadlifts. Easy. Trying to keep things tidy and ruined myself.

so safest place is at home on the sofa with absolute chaos around. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nilorius said:

You mean ELP ?

No , I was referring to the guys we used to do gigs with. A B3 with a Leslie cabinet took up a lot of space , and was heavy. Really heavy.
Inevitably the organ player had a bad back and everyone else would have to help lift it.

2 hours ago, msb said:

In the old days it the guys playing Hammond organs that had the bad backs …

I’ve been in that band. Full size Hammond inc. full on sideboard sized wooden case and Leslie to match. To be fair, he did have some kind of cage on wheels for it, but it was still a pain to move. Once at the gig, it always needed maintenance too, right down to soldering bits between sets!

• Like 1

Had to give up due to degenerative spinal condition. Kept going as long as I could but I can only walk a few paces now, just enough to get from my house to the studio on a bad day, rest of time for anything other than being around the house I’m in a wheelchair. 
The last years of gigging were spoilt by the pain and lugging a 4x10 into the van, although I did ask for help with it towards the end. 
I didn’t really try going for lighter gear, I don’t even know if the Mark Bass Style light weight cabs were a thing back in 2012??? But I was and still am a tone junkie and a stubborn idiot so I would probably have carried on lugging the Trace 4x10 at 30kg. 

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, police squad said:

It's a lot better this morning.

2 gigs (sitting for some of them) and some ibuprofen and I seem fairly ok

sat here, just got out of bed, no tablets and not too bad.

Hopefully I've turned the corner now

Glad to hear that. Take it easy. No shame in sitting down to play a gig. Seen plenty of famous bassists on facetube sitting or perching on a stool whilst the rest of the band is standing. eg Jack Bruce at Cream gigs RAH.  
Hope you have many more gigs. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DTB said:

Glad to hear that. Take it easy. No shame in sitting down to play a gig. Seen plenty of famous bassists on facetube sitting or perching on a stool whilst the rest of the band is standing. eg Jack Bruce at Cream gigs RAH.  
Hope you have many more gigs. 

Playing sitting is quite acceptable... The band we had in Manchester I often used to blag a tall bar stool and sat playing for the whole gig, I was only about 21 and didn't "need" to sit but it became a bit of a gimmick and people thought it was unusual and pretty cool 

• Like 1

Yep, L4/L5 prolapses and disc damage years back have left my back…not great.

Pilates based stuff seems to be what the NHS physios at least have been favouring in recent years and does help me for sure. Walking plenty when it’s OK to also helps. Likewise (trying to) keep my weight down.

Oh, and Barefaced cabs!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Playing sitting is quite acceptable... The band we had in Manchester I often used to blag a tall bar stool and sat playing for the whole gig, I was only about 21 and didn't "need" to sit but it became a bit of a gimmick and people thought it was unusual and pretty cool 

Indeed. I saw Pino Palladino with Chris Dave at Band on the Wall a few years back, funkiest gig I've probably ever attended. Pino sat on a chair centre stage for the entire gig.

• Like 1

I've got 3 slipped/herniated discs from L4/5 downwards, just come out of the worst sciatica flare up to date, part of my foot is still numb. 

Fortunately for me as I already have a disability that limits my balance and mobility, band mates are very understanding. 

Played sitting for a long time, fortunately I can play well enough so that band members don't care about the rest of it.

Barefaced cabs, stretching and trying my to manage my weight seems the best way forward..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Paul S said:

If remotely possible the best way forward is to go through the desk and ditch the backline completely.  It is most liberating.  

That would be ideal, but my last 6 gigs have been with 5 different bands, so I have to bring my own backline.

These days lightweight gear is some of the best on the market.

In case things get worse, I have contingency plans. . . . check out the Mbrace Stage Guitar Stand   https://www.imuso.co.uk/itm/mbrace-stage-guitar-stand