Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2023

scrumpymike

If there are a handful of things I've taken away from yesterday, it's these:

1. Oh god, the food. And oh GOD, that crumble. ❤

2. What a lovely, lovely bunch of people you all are. It was like spending the day with people I've known all my life. I could almost get emotional about this. 

3. Between us, we don't half have some nice gear. Oh my word yes. Playing @Buddster's lovely '76 Jazz through my own rig was a personal highlight, and possibly a big mistake... 🤤:lol:

4. A renewed deep sense of satisfaction with my own gear. Having drooled over everyone else's gear (especially @Kateplaysbass's immensely cool little green number), I was playing my Shuker and realised that I was really listening to it in a way that I don't normally, almost never have in fact, and I've fallen in love with it all over again. I'm a lucky so-&-so. I think we all are, actually.

Thank you all again for a wonderful day. I only wish Norm and yorks could have been there with us.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 15

Well folks, "another one bites the dust"!  Just got everything put away and the house and garage back in order 😊. Thanks for all your kind messages, much appreciated. Despite the work involved, we love it too.

Sorry that some of the usual suspects didn't make it this year but delighted to meet the S-W Bash newbies. Particularly nice to have the chance to remember and talk about Si ('Norm') and Keith ('yorks5stringer'), thereby ensuring that they were with us in spirit.

Once again, special thanks to Stevie and Phil for giving us the benefit of their knowledge, this year in the shape of the amp shoot-out.

Watch this space for image from the day.

Mike, Mrs Scrumpy and the Scrumpettes

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Hey Rich, well said!!

As the organiser, I like to avoid getting a bit emotional and mushy about the S-W Bash... but trust me, I could!

This really is something special and, like Rich, always leaves me counting my bass-bashing, crumble-crunching blessings - and so chuffed to see that everyone else apparently feels the same ☺️

Mrs Scrumpy is on cloud 9 and likely to remain there for some time.

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, Rich said:

A renewed deep sense of satisfaction with my own gear. Having drooled over everyone else's gear (especially @Kateplaysbass's immensely cool little green number), I was playing my Shuker and realised that I was really listening to it in a way that I don't normally, almost never have in fact, and I've fallen in love with it all over again.

I know what you mean, I noticed in the amp shootout, that no only was the little bam amp (which cost me £78) an excelent thing, but also the TC450, which I hardly use and is often disparaged in these walls is actually a very nice amp.

That and that the bowed B string on the NS Wav DB is actually quite a noticable and pleasant thing!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I much preferred it when it was a heroin based Bash.

The last time any 'crack' appeared at a Bash was the year you dropped your trolleys and mooned for the group shot ☺️

Sorry you missed such a craic-ing Bash yesterday btw ☹️

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

Just spotted in the pic of Rich talking to Mojoke that the former has somehow managed to slip 3 basses into his back pocket. If any of you ended up short, you know where they went 😉

And I woulda gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for you meddling, errm, kid

• Haha 2

Great pics!

Eating outside?

EATING OUTSIDE???

And...is that SUN I can see????

MrsAndyjr1515 is still testing Covid positive.  Mind you, she must be getting better - she's started b*ll****g me again.  This time it's for not catching it (yet).  I'll admit, it didn't feel right, not getting shouted at this past week  :)

Anyway, looks like it was up to its normal splendid standard.  Count me in for the next one - missed you folks  :)

• Like 6

I am really sorry to have missed this one,  but other Sunday morning commitments had to take precedence.  

Looks like a lot of fun, and there were a few basses I would love to have tried, as well as lots of people I wanted to meet. Here's what I would have brung. 

20230723_172708.thumb.jpg.260fb634d4b9aaa88c15eb405f212cf7.jpg

Edited by Richard R
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Richard R said:

So what is it??  And is it more practical for carrying basses than a 2006 Jag XK?

It's a far from standard 3-series compact. 

Yes, a lot more! And also more practical than my 1-series coupe.. 

• Like 1