Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2023

scrumpymike

19 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

Have you joined the AA, just in case? It's some tow to the Northern Lights from waaaaaaay doon there. Wishing you a fine, uneventful and enjoyable trip. 👍🚗🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Yeah, 1100 miles in a 13-14 year old, 128k miles s#itbox, damn right I've got AA membership :D

Also have RAC through my car insurance, but dunno what level of service that is ('cos I never asked for it, it just happened)

Cheers!

• Like 1

Popped round with Mrs Scrumpy to pick 'yorks5stringer' Keith's stuff up yesterday. Spent a very pleasant hour or so drinking tea with wife Anna and daughter Loren in the garden. Haven't had a proper sort through yet but - apart from the Markbass cab already sold to neepheid, the only items of substance in terms of sales value seem to be a couple of nice gig bags and a mic stand. I'll try and sell those at the Bash and put the rest in the raffle, which Anna has said it's OK to do.

Anna has given me some words she'd like shared with the Bashers, which I'll either read out, put on display, or both.

• Like 10

Since my last post re Keith's stuff, the cheaper Protection Racket gig-bag has sold but here's a heads-up on the remaining 'Bravo' by Blake Guitar Solutions.

This is a top-quality item in A1 condition with heavy-duty outer shell, thick/robust protective padding, luxury velour lining and nice detailing including: external zip-fastening pockets front and back; neck rest with velcro flap; additional removeable padded insert along the bottom edge; and an 'across the chest' horizontal tie with quick-release clip to keep the shoulder straps in place.

My quick on-line search shows Blake as a US brand not currently on sale in the UK but at launch the 'Bravo' bass bag was listed with a UK RRP of £152. A mint used Apex guitar bag (smaller but same design and quality) went on Reverb for £65 and I'd say Keith's bag would be a bargain at that price.

The internal dim's are approx (L)122cms x (W1*)42cms x (W2**)38cms x (D) enough for any solid-bodied bass. W2 is measured 52cms up from the bottom where the shoulders start to taper in.

*Bottom bout  **Top bout

Any takers in advance of the Bash for payment/collection on the day?

DSC_0112.JPG

DSC_0113.JPG

DSC_0114.JPG

• Like 1

THIS YEAR'S AMP SHOOT-OUT!!

Phil Starr has PMed me what he's planning:

"Hi Mike,

Just touching base about the shootout. Give me half an hour after lunch. I’ll gather up amps in the morning plus what you, Stevie and I bring. We won’t be short 😀

I was planning three runs. Three micro amps because we know their frequency responses from last time, then maybe four best amps by reputation followed by valve vs class AB vs class D, just for fun.

I would like to do the runoff with a live bassist rather than recorded bass, not scientific but more realistic and more fun. Who would be good do you think amongst those coming? I’m going to be busy with swapping leads and ‘compèring’ and amps are a lot harder to swap than speakers.

So who is the best amongst us and not shy?

btw I've talked this through with Stevie and we’ll be using two of his LFSys Monaco cab's (FRFR.

Phil"

So... let's have a good selection of your amp heads - I'll be bringing an Ampeg SVT-7 PRO, Mesa Subway D800 Plus, and Ashdown RM800 EVO.

Last but not least, we need a volunteer or 3 willing and able to play a few short demo lines in different genres.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi 

I've only just come across this thread, I'm only 30 min away and just moved to the area.

Are there still spaces? 

Not sure I'll be able to bring any kit as a lot is still is storage (longish story!)

Happy to Xfer the entrance fee a head of time.

Thanks

Gregster 

22 hours ago, verb said:

I'd like to bring more basses than I have stands for, does anyone have a stand or two I could borrow on the day?

Can't help you, sorry, I've got just enough stands for what I'm bringing.  Maybe someone who isn't bringing any basses could help out?

Also - a week to go... (less from my perspective - leaving on Saturday) - excited!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Just a bit concerned at the lack of feedback re raffle prizes. If those of us who don't have any bass-related stuff could just bring a bottle or something that would be great.

I'll try and remember to bring a bottle (in addition to the Intelligate)

• Thanks 1