Why become a member? ×

Made myself feel stupid.

DTB

I invested in a set of Genelec 8020 monitors a few months back. My Mordaunt Shorts are great and powered by my vintage Yamaha hifi amp sound better, but hurt my ears after a while in my small studio, hence the Genelecs. I don’t normally like the sound of class d amps but these are ok. Or at least the were until one started rattling very slightly when tracking solo bass lines. 
I tested all the normal stuff. Made sure it wasn’t the grills, checked the multiple screws on the rear sockets were all tight, and really could not fathom out what it was and thought it must be something inside come loose. So I contacted G4M who were absolutely first class in arranging a return. 
I got it back a few days ago and no more rattle. 
There is a metallic type sticker or plate on the back which has the make and model etc on it. This is now stuck down with extra glue so was obviously the problem. How stupid do I feel not being able to diagnose this myself, well extremely I can tell you. 
still it’s back and my ears are very happy about it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We've all done it - haven't we?

Soundcheck at a big outdoor gig with a new FOH guy. My Laney RB7 was sounding good. I finished setting my on stage levels and the sound guy plugged in his XLR DI cable. Went back to the amp a few minutes later for his soundcheck and while he was getting a nice signal and sound out front, the Laney was silent. Went to have a polite conversation with him to see what he'd done to my amp. Didn't want to make a big deal as he was doing the band's sound and we all know a disgruntled FOH engineer can make a difference. I left him with a mildly annoyed 'well it was working before you plugged your XLR in'.

I went back to the amp. Noticed the volume control was at zero. Used it for its intended purpose and there was my on stage sound again. For some reason I'd turned it down after my stage check, something I don't normally do. Went back to the sound guy like a small school child and apologised. I think the gig was ok (we got asked back) but my memory is clouded by that one incident.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

We've all done it - haven't we?

Soundcheck at a big outdoor gig with a new FOH guy. My Laney RB7 was sounding good. I finished setting my on stage levels and the sound guy plugged in his XLR DI cable. Went back to the amp a few minutes later for his soundcheck and while he was getting a nice signal and sound out front, the Laney was silent. Went to have a polite conversation with him to see what he'd done to my amp. Didn't want to make a big deal as he was doing the band's sound and we all know a disgruntled FOH engineer can make a difference. I left him with a mildly annoyed 'well it was working before you plugged your XLR in'.

I went back to the amp. Noticed the volume control was at zero. Used it for its intended purpose and there was my on stage sound again. For some reason I'd turned it down after my stage check, something I don't normally do. Went back to the sound guy like a small school child and apologised. I think the gig was ok (we got asked back) but my memory is clouded by that one incident.

Very easy to do that random stuff…we have all been there.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2023 at 10:05, Franticsmurf said:

Went back to the sound guy like a small school child and apologised

A lot would be too embarrassed to do that!! Am sure that really helped. 

I thought I was being clever buying the soundman a beer recently.... It wasn't, first half sound has awful 😂 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

A lot would be too embarrassed to do that!! Am sure that really helped. 

I thought I was being clever buying the soundman a beer recently.... It wasn't, first half sound has awful 😂 

Probably the result of that beer. 

• Like 1

On 22/02/2023 at 10:05, Franticsmurf said:

back

Imagine the scenario, you've been playing with the order of your pedals during the week & at Fridays gig you feel like the GOAT (ask the kids) cuz you know your new sound is gonna blow everyone away!

But you plug everything in, you look as cool as the proverbial cucumber then you go to sound check & theres no signal getting to your amp!

You check over everything convinced that you've set up the signal chain just like you did when playing at home, you scratch your head, you begin to feel heat building up in your face & you know your cheeks are going red!

Then, the drummer looks over your shoulder & says "you've got there input & output backwards on your tuner mate"!

THE DRUMMER! 

Edited by Horizontalste
Typo
  • Haha 5

A few gigs ago I was setting up my rig and was ensuring all was well before the band sound check. There was strange distortion sound from my rig which was slighty annoying. I wasn't sure if it was my speakers, BF 210 or my amp, Ashdown RM500. I couldn't hear it with the band going so no problem for the gig. At home I tried to recreate the problem and found out the onlytime I could hear the distortion was when I had my hearing aids in as they can't handle the low frequencies! I now take them out when setting up my rig prior to putting my earplugs in for the sound check and gig.

• Like 2

if it makes you feel any better, a few months ago I was sat at home of an evening listening to river of bass by underworld. I started to twitch slightly as once in a while there seemed to be an odd resonance colouring random bass notes. I put the track on repeat and wandered the room trying to track down anything that might be vibrating in sympathy. Sometime around the 6th repeat of the track and with no resonant culprit found I realised that the sound was the intermittent snoring of my somewhat belurgied cat.

doh

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

One day my mate's Boss overdrive stopped working. Swapped out the battery, cables, etc., definitely the pedal at fault. 

He took it to the shop, they tested it, it was fine. 

He took it home, it stopped working again. So he took it back to the shop and insisted they send it back to Boss. 

Three weeks later he gets it back with a note from Boss saying its absolutely fine, but when he plugged it in again it still wasn't working. 

Was about to head back to the shop to give them an earful when he noticed that... 

...he had the input and the output plugged in the wrong way round. 

On 26/02/2023 at 16:10, Horizontalste said:

Imagine the scenario, you've been playing with the order of your pedals during the week & at Fridays gig you feel like the GOAT (ask the kids) cuz you know your new sound is gonna blow everyone away!

But you plug everything in, you look as cool as the proverbial cucumber then you go to sound check & theres no signal getting to your amp!

You check over everything convinced that you've set up the signal chain just like you did when playing at home, you scratch your head, you begin to feel heat building up in your face & you know your cheeks are going red!

Then, the drummer looks over your shoulder & says "you've got there input & output backwards on your tuner mate"!

THE DRUMMER! 

I turned my amp on yesterday, pressed the overdrive pedal and nothing. Checked the volume knobs on the guitar and amp; checked the cables, scratched head. Remembered that I had unplugged the power to the pedal board to charge my bike light. Thank goodness I'm only a bedroom player.

• Haha 1