Why become a member? ×

Spector Q4 fixer-up

Rich

Arrived in need of a bridge saddle (in truth, a whole new bridge wouldn't hurt... see below), strings and a proper clean-up, and those tuners want straightening too.

A few hours later, the hardware's off and it's an awful lot cleaner, and the battery (which was dated 2009 :o) is in the bin, and now it's got me thinking... do I stick with black bridge & tuners, or change? Don't want chrome, but maybe nickel? Or even gold, for a bit of a JPS Lotus vibe? There's a black bridge in the mail, but I can always return it and get a different one.

332506961_1204386290469375_4411206890323529328_n.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Cato said:

I feel it needs something to break up the monotony unless you like the stealth look.

Yes, this is what I was thinking. I'm not big on the stealth thing TBH. Like you, I'm not normally much of a fan of gold, but it does go really well with some colours -- for me, red and black are the two that it really suits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rich said:

Arrived in need of a bridge saddle (in truth, a whole new bridge wouldn't hurt... see below), strings and a proper clean-up, and those tuners want straightening too.

A few hours later, the hardware's off and it's an awful lot cleaner, and the battery (which was dated 2009 :o) is in the bin, and now it's got me thinking... do I stick with black bridge & tuners, or change? Don't want chrome, but maybe nickel? Or even gold, for a bit of a JPS Lotus vibe? There's a black bridge in the mail, but I can always return it and get a different one.

It's what all the cool kids are doing.  Well, it's what I'm in the process of doing to my black Epiphone Les Paul.  I blame Squier for that black and gold Precision they put out recently.

• Rich changed the title to N(TM)BD - cheap 'n' cheerful Spector Q4 fixer-up
3 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I just about spat my tea out at the price of 'em!

Compared to how much the Yammy was - I imported it from Japan - it was small beans.

Then, of course, once it arived I didn't like it.  :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I just about spat my tea out at the price of 'em!

I've just seen the price of them, and am going to go & make a coffee specifically to spit out :lol:

Joking aside, I'm an Elixir fan so I'm used to spending big money on strings (albeit only every 18 months or so!). I've no doubt they'd look amazing, but I'll stick with my regular Elixirs I think. I've a part worn set I'll throw onto it for the time being.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

That’s better 👍, what else you doing to it ?

Gold bridge, subtle black EMG control knobs as per the top range Spectors, and other little details - gold screws for the TRC and back plate, etc. And a good elbow-grease going-over with T-cut and polish.

• Like 1