Why become a member? ×

Spector Q4 fixer-up

Rich

15 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I have no idea what bit route one is, but if i were going for Gold , i would change all the hardware, rather than most of it.

Just a thought.

Direct, straight for the jugular, asking someone about their knob(s) without even commenting on the current weather conditions...

• Haha 1

So much interest in the state of my knob(s). Ooer, matron :lol:

I did consider gold ones, but... then I looked at pics of Spector Euros with gold hardware (these, for example), and they all have black knobs. I had some gold ones and some of the black EMG ones in the old spares box, so I did an A/B comparison and I have to say, I prefer the black. Once it's got its bridge and is all finished, I'll do another A/B and make a final decision.  

• Like 2

How it started vs. how it's going, part II...

Bridge fitted and some old strings thrown on just to get it working. Frets polished, fingerboard cleaned but could do with a light oiling. Still needs a proper setup, and a good body polish. I like it already. To my utter astonishment and delight, it is nearly 2lbs lighter than my 2-Tone J. Depending on how well it fits tonally, I think this might be my new ska bass. 

I know gold hardware is a bit marmite, but I think this looks the absolute feckin business.

Oh, and I've found out why these gold tuners were in the spares box... one of them is fecked :angry2: something inside stripped out as I was tuning it. Into the bin it goes, and off to ebay I go... ¬¬

SPEC THEN AND NOW.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 11

This has given me pause for thought - I'm already committed to gold bridge, tuners, pickup rails and knobs.  Maybe I'll pause there to see how blingy it is before considering gold pickup rings, gold straplocks and a gold surround for the pickup selector/poker chip.

FWIW, I think the bridge would appreciate some company in the form of gold knobs.  The tuners have the complementary gold "Spector" script on the TRC after all.

Either way, definitely looks way better than the stealthy stock look.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'm going to stick with the black knobs, and the black straplock buttons. I like the symmetry of it as it is, I think gold knobs would be just a bit too much.

Well, at least you've stopped me going gung-ho into Mr. T-ing the heck out of my black and gold project, thank you Sir :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Well, at least you've stopped me going gung-ho into Mr. T-ing the heck out of my black and gold project, thank you Sir :)

I pity the fool who doesn't want a Mr. T tribute bass...

• Haha 3

Quick setup done -- all that was needed was some saddle height adjustment, the neck relief was already spot on and even the new bridge's intonation was correct straight out of the jiffybag. Lovely low action and it plays like a dream, and oh my word it sounds HUUUGE.

I was wondering about changing the vol/vol controls to vol/blend, but I really don't think I'll bother. <- any thoughts on this, anyone?

I'm going to experiment with the treble DIP switches though and see which setting works best for me. 

This thing is a revelation. The best hundred quid I have spent in years. Christ, why has it taken so long for me to get a Spector into my life?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

I was wondering about changing the vol/vol controls to vol/blend, but I really don't think I'll bother. <- any thoughts on this, anyone?

I think by saying "I really don't think I'll bother", you've already answered your question.  Unless you've got a burning desire to make that change, I wouldn't bother.

• Thanks 1

I've a Q4 Pro (brilliant things) and I really like having a vol/vol rather than a blend...maybe me but I've never got on with blends and, being a Jazz bass fan has probably reinforced my bias. 

It's looking good, loving the gold😎

• Thanks 1

• Rich changed the title to Cheap 'n' cheerful Spector Q4 fixer-up
  • 3 weeks later...

First ska gig outing with the Q4 last night. Perfect. Sat well in the mix esp. when I favoured the neck pickup. And so wonderfully light! To say I'm pleased is a total understatement. 

The Trojan logo and the neck 'inlays' are all vinyl stick-ons, easily removed without a trace. I'd have like some Spector crowns but they're next to impossible to find.

EDIT: see below for updated pic!

Edited by Rich
  • Like 7

• Rich changed the title to Spector Q4 fixer-up
  • 3 weeks later...

Another mod... the EMG HZ pickups are 4 wire, so after a bit of internet research I've coil tapped them using a pair of push-pull pots for the volume controls. The taps operate the inner coils, i.e. the two closest to each other. The end result is very satisfying, an extra bit of colour for the tonal palette.

04132317363.jpg.0f518160706e389601984c474f9108b8.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 4