Why become a member? ×

Exeter

uk_lefty

Here's an open ended question... I'm very seriously looking at relocating to Exeter with the family. My wife is from that area but I'm not. I've visited a lot over the last 8 or 9 years and very much like the place. Thing is, I'm in a really good band in Hertfordshire, it took ages to find the right people where we are all on the same wavelength. 

Does anyone have local knowledge of what's going on terms of live music on around Exeter? Once settled I'd be looking at finding a band, fairly open minded as to style etc. I'm very nearly forty, have good experience and all my own gear, a car etc. I'm not looking to make a living out of it but I also don't want to waste my time doing endless rehearsals with people who love to talk about playing "massive gigs" but will never be ready to do a short set in a pub. 

What are my chances?

I'm sure you've looked already, but there does seem to be a fair bit of 'musicians wanted' activity in the Exeter area on the Devon section of JMB - I've been tempted to respond to some of the ads but it really is a bit too far from West Dorset...

• Like 1

I think the only thing (having done something similar a few years back and with family further down that way) is that the travel expectations are sometimes greater - I’ve been asked a couple of times whether I wanted to be part of a band (not a dep) 1+hr’s drive away, which is way too much for me, but doesn’t seem to bother too many people. 

• Like 2

Exeter has a fairly lively covers band circuit and there are bands that gigged 100+ a year before covid. Although I live 25 miles from Exeter I've played in Exeter bands and the gigs are better than those where I live . There are a fair amount of gigs going on in Exmouth too. Further down in Torbay there is a lot more going on. I know nothing of the scene for original music, my idea of a good night out is to be playing myself I'm afraid. There's also a good number of open mics and a bit of a folk scene. Exeter has good music shops with Mansons the stand out. There are a few originals bands that have done well on the covers circuit but they have to play a recognisable genre. Average fee for a band is around £300 so you won't get rich

There are differences down in the West Country. Population density is lower so pubs tend not to be so rammed and the money isn't as good or the gigs quite so closely packed. Distances to gigs are further and it isn't unusual to travel 25 miles to a gig, the upside is that the roads are emptier so travel time stays similar. The population is older too, lots of people turned 40 move down here for a better all round life :) Audiences are largely going to be older too, hence all the covers bands. Lemonrock works quite well down here so tracking bands is fairly simple.

I've played with a lot of people who have moved here, genuinely good musicians who were pro before moving down. There's adjustments to be made in lowering expectations, fewer big gigs not enough work to go pro without doing a bit of teaching and very few big pay days. You often don't get four pro standard musicians in a band and big egos don't find it easy.

I enjoy the music scene down here. I've met a lot of positive supportive people and most of my friends I've met through music. I've never been between bands for long and tend to play roughly every other week. I'm not going to get rich but it pays for bass strings and the odd meal out. Let's face it you are moving down for a better lifestyle, cheaper housing, beautiful countryside and so on. it's not a musical desert but you might need to play Sweet Caroline more than you would wish :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Phil Starr!! I think you've summed up perfectly what I'm looking for. I often bristle when my current band schedule the third gig in a row or ask if I can do another "overnighter". Playing once a month for kebab money would do me fine as long as it's with people who aren't knobs. Plans are gathering pace, will be sad to leave my current band but the family comes first. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheRev said:

you will need to be prepared to travel a bit. 

This. I moved out of London (to Hampshire) last year and have realised how spoiled for choice I was in the Smoke. As Phil points out, once you leave the major cities, everything is more spread out, musical tastes can be a mite less adventurous and the standard of players can be more variable. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

What a loss to the SW in particular and UK music retail in general.

It is, I bought my first two basses there and a few bits and pieces over the years and it was always a bolt hole for an hour .when a day out ended in clothes shopping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What sort of band do you want to be in?

If it's covers and there is a decent amount of local pubs still putting on covers bands then it will probably be OK.

If it's originals then bear in mind that Exeter isn't particularly close to anywhere else and if your band outgrows the local circuit then you are going to be looking at long journey to play gigs in other towns and cities. It is always useful to see how many venues in Exeter are putting on out-of-town bands which will give you an idea how easy the place is to get to (and conversely to get out of). I discovered this problem when I spent a year in Swansea and discovered that all the well-known bands on tour didn't come any further west than Cardiff and that as a result the local music scene was over-saturated and stagnant.

• Like 2

I suppose it depends what you're used to, but walking to gigs or using public transport is highly unlikely. 

Both my bands straddle the Devon/Cornwall border and when we were gigging we regularly travelled the entire length of Cornwall and up to Exeter, Torquay, Teignmouth, Exmouth, etc. 

Exeter was always a good crowd, my avatar is in The Cavern in Exeter. 

From the amount you've said you'll to gig you should be fine, but expect to do some travelling to Torquay, Plymouth to pull in the gigs as well as Exeter. 

I'm happy to travel but we had an enquiry last week asking how much to gig in Skegness, erm yeah, won't be happening. 😄

Good luck if you choose to move. 

• Like 1