Why become a member? ×

8x10 Conundrum

SamPlaysBass

17 minutes ago, Dood said:

IMG_7700.thumb.png.f68edf03e90ef5fa418e5364fc22fcb5.png

Here's my answer to the 8x10 / 6x10 conundrum. I like the modular approach depending on the gig size but in a more compact form factor. Nice chunky cabinets. These aren't Neo though. 

We have a winner. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Dood said:

IMG_7700.thumb.png.f68edf03e90ef5fa418e5364fc22fcb5.png

Here's my answer to the 8x10 / 6x10 conundrum. I like the modular approach depending on the gig size but in a more compact form factor. Nice chunky cabinets. These aren't Neo though. 

Of course the number of cabs you take to a gig makes no difference to how much stage area you take up and you don't HAVE to plug them all in, plus you'll only really be able to hear to top cab.

The Terrortones used to do a number of gigs with a traditional style rock band who had double Marshall cabs stacked all round no matter how big or small the gig was. Their reasoning was that the stack took up no more room on stage than a single 4x12 cab, it lifted the top cab in the stack to ear height, and besides they were all using PowerBrakes as their volume control. That way they had backline that suited the image but could tailor the on-stage volume to suit the venue no matter where they were playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is what I’ve ended up with. 

45kg for the cab and 40kg for the head. Not bad! 

Sounds monstrous. The Fender NEO 8x10 is surprisingly hifi - different flavour to Ampeg but I like it a lot. Turn the tweeter down and it’s got the Ampeg 8x10 flavour. Just over a month or so until I get to give it a proper gig bashing. 

E5085BE7-D437-4CDF-B256-447C72F8F029.thumb.jpeg.25202a4019754ab4b076ac1d984bef00.jpeg

(Queue the ‘my back hurts just looking at it…’ comments 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Like 9

3 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Merthyr Tydfil eh? Nice town. :)

In the early Seventies I helped commission your telephone exchange!! LOL

That’s still cutting edge technology around here! 

The cassette tape has taken Merthyr by storm. Those and the horseless carriage 🤯 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Skinny said:

If you want a height war then it's all over from Monday evening. Killing joke last night (second date of tour) 

IMG_20230307_193444.jpg

I was about to say that that is massive overkill, but then I remembered an epic early rig I had which was an SWR SM400 biamped into a Turbosound TMS cab which was a 2 x 15 + 2 x 10 and horn.

If it helps, I’ve had chances to compare a bunch of 8x10s, Ashdown and Ampeg mostly, against the Barefaced Six10.

I love the advise from barefaced on the Eight10 page ‘just don’t. Buy a Six10 instead’

Guess what’s at home?

57FB2DB5-A310-40E5-8B61-0E479DB55657.thumb.jpeg.5b71afc07b618a871e48ad11e808c316.jpeg

• Like 4

I haven't read every single word of this thread, so forgive me if this has already been said, but there is no conundrum here. Just get an 8 x 10 and be done with it. Nobody wants 'em these days and they can be picked up pretty cheap. Don't skimp and get a Behringer or whatever, get yourself a proper Ampeg or old Trace. Don't get a 4x10, either. Regardless of the volume needed, an 8x10 just plain sounds better.  I used a full rig like that for years and years in pubs and clubs and never, ever was thought too loud and that was mostly in a fairly laid back sort of country-ish type band. Got a hell of a lot of compliments on the sound, though...

All the bulk is in the vertical, so they don't really take up any more room onstage than a regular combo.

You've got the head, you're obviously young and strong so just go for it would be my advice, FWIW.

Nobody ever regretted getting the best thing for the job.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

So, a few gigs in and some observations on the ol' Sampeg Stack. 

The Fender Neo 8x10 is a doddle to cart about. Much easier than I expected to get up a flight of stairs due to its shape and handy handles on the bottom. I've even had the guitarist offer to help me take the cab up the stairs whereas he used to take a wide berth around my old 4x10. The sound/monitoring on stage is spectacular and to feel the air move around me is lovely. The drummer likes it because he can hear me at ear level and the sound guy is happy because it does some heavy lifting in smaller venues. FYI - I'm also very responsive to our sound guy because ultimately they are god in a live show. 

On the rare occasion I'm too loud, I use the magic volume knob and take it down a few notches. It's still visceral, even at lower volumes, and makes me enjoy playing live more than my old rig. It sounds great, looks good on stage. I'm very happy with it.

As it's a lot lighter than a traditional 8x10, I'm not afraid to lever it up onto a stage on my own. I can't say I'm noticing a huge difference with the sealed/unsealed cabs I've used in the past so I can't comment on which I prefer. Either way, I always use ear protection as the speakers are closer to my ears. Unlike my last rig, I genuinely don't mind using ear plus as now I can feel the notes as I play them.

Shoutout to the Ampeg SVT CL as well - a wonderful bit of kit.

IMG_4731.heicObligatory practice room pic. 

Sam

• Like 5

We used a different rehearsal room last night, the premium room, and instead of a looking-very-sorry-for-itself Ampeg 810 there was what looked like a gleaming brand new one - premium room v budget room I suppose. Anyway it was a joy to use, though given I set the eq for the sorry 810s it took a while to adjust for the gleaming, especially as I`m now using my JMJ Mustang which eqs differently to my Precisions. But I got there and it was great, a nice solid wall of bass, each note clearly defined but an overall massive presence.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2023 at 01:24, Downunderwonder said:

20230207_142141.thumb.jpg.f600a9c5e67ead05096c75bd625759d8.jpg

The way to run a 210 vertical stack with a big tube amp is with a small shelf to stack the cabs on top of said tube amp. This saves the vents from being blocked and saves the amp case top from bowing under the weight. The shelf spreads the weight to the walls of the amp case.

Suits your basschat name!

Hmmmm  - very interesting    so you ended up with the Fender 8 x 10   cab  

I have a Genz Benz  8 x 10  Uber cab here in storage  

only just read this thread now , maybe you would like to have tried it 

maybe you would still like to try it - Im only down the road in Cardiff

On 05/05/2023 at 17:29, choob.squeemer said:

Hmmmm  - very interesting    so you ended up with the Fender 8 x 10   cab  

I have a Genz Benz  8 x 10  Uber cab here in storage  

only just read this thread now , maybe you would like to have tried it 

maybe you would still like to try it - Im only down the road in Cardiff

That would’ve fit the bill - the Fender is still a wonderful cab but you’ve got to give it the Genz stuff. Wonderfully engineered. Shame

about it being late!