Why become a member? ×

The classic dilemma... i can fit one more pedal on my board. What to choose?

lidl e

So i have all my basics covered, dist, synth, comp, oct, chorus, etc, and i can fit one more pedal.

I dont really want to get a bigger board, as to me it's pretty much at the limit of what i can present to the band without getting mocked! Also, i dont have the space on my power supply for another.

Do i go with my all time favourite the DOD fx25? I have a future impact and a pigtronix mothership 2, id say i could probably get a close envelooe out of the FI.

Do i go with the Boss PS-2? A good delay and also gives me ocatve up with the free form control and an alright down ocatve (got down already covered with an mxr BOD)

Or the classic boss DD-3? A killer digital delay that i think sounds a bit better than the PS-2 delay wise. I have a line 6 DL4, but it's too big.

I cant decide!

i used one as my main preamp/tone creator for years and it was perfectly good at it. only moved it on because I got an HX stomp!

I've now got one on my board along with my stomp and other various things and its a tuner, and an always on compressor and EQ - This leaves the HX stomp to be all the important stuff!.  I've currently got the footswitch set to an envelope filter, but i change it about depending on what I fancy that night!

For 50-60 quid second hand, for me its a no brainer!

Edited by Elfrasho
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Depending on how you’re using your compressor but with all that synth, fuzz, sub octave? I’d stick a Thumpinator on the end 😄

I saw those. Interesting idea.

Do you have one? Hiw do you use it?

1 minute ago, lidl e said:

And what do those volumes say, friendo?

That you should get one, and that if you get something different you’ll possibly always be thinking if only you’d got your fave.

I’ve done similar in so many ways, cars, holidays, musical instruments, meals in restaurants, women to name a few. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

That you should get one, and that if you get something different you’ll possibly always be thinking if only you’d got your fave.

I’ve done similar in so many ways, cars, holidays, musical instruments, meals in restaurants, women to name a few. 

Ah, sorry! I read that wrong. I rhought you were bemoaning my taste!

These three pedals i am choosing from are pedals i already own.

Although i think i figured iut a way to out all three on if i move off the expression pedal

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

ms60b all the way, but then again, if you have a seperate tuiner on your board id swap that out for the ms60b, and then you're back to square one!  Another ms60b?

And also swap the compressor out for the MS60B, so you've got two free slots.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrDinsdale said:

Thumpinator, its subtle but really tightens up the sound nicely. I've got mine running just before my compressor. I've noticed my amp has stopped inconsistently clipping a lot too.

Really? Before comp?

Surely it should be last in your chain right before amp?

I did fit all three pedals on after all. But i will need to daisy chain two of them as i ran out of spots on my power supply

1 hour ago, lidl e said:

According to the guy who makes it, it should be right at the front of your chain before anything else. This works well for me - I found that the only thing it really didn't like was an envelope filter, but I don't use one any more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lidl e said:

Really? Before comp?

I did fit all three pedals on after all. But i will need to daisy chain two of them as i ran out of spots on my power supply

If it's right at the front, it means it's getting rid of the subsonics before they hit the compressor and potentially push it into compressing when it shouldn't. For effects further down the chain, it prevents them getting driven into clipping by the subsonics.

• Like 1

Brighten your board up with a pedal with great artwork! Photon Death Ray comp, a Jam pedal, Walrus have some great pedals, their Slo has some interesting modulated delays, Mr Black Fwonkbeta is super phat.

Not as pretty, but how about a phaser? The Aguilar Grape phaser is super funky.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2023 at 19:40, paul_5 said:

Zoom ms60b will do everything you’ve listed above and more. Takes up the same space as a boss style enclosure, just in case you need. Flanger/phaser/reverb/eq etc…

That was going to be exactly my suggestion. Room for one pedal. Then use a pedal that does absolutely everything. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lidl e said:

The cookn fella has some nice patches that are effects like that.

I’ve done a few. Better envelope filter sounds were possible to set up on the v3 patches due to the presence of the mod matrix. All the old Talkbass patches are pre-v3. 

Here’s one (with a clip). https://auraplug.com/fidatabase2/downloads/micro-tron-iv/

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1