Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky J NYC - The Real Deal!
£4250
Oxfordshire / Berkshire Borders

molan

Now Sold!

As I slowly edge my way towards owning just a few instruments, this stunning Sadowsky is the next one up for sale.

As an ex-Sadowsky dealer, I had first look at everything that came into the store. This particular one came from a customer in Canada, who had it custom made for him in NYC, and as soon as it arrived I knew it was 'the one' for me. It's quite simply the best J-style bass I've ever owned (and I've owned a LOT!). However, I pretty much only play my, shorter scale, Ritters these days and it seems a shame for this to be sitting on the wall & only taken down once a month or so.

Sadowsky basses really are designed to be pro-level 'gig-machines'. It's hard to explain but they just sit perfectly in a live band mix & that onboard tone control offers so much subtle tweaking across songs - perfect in a covers band environment when you need to go from a clear precise tone to something with more grind & then back right off in pure passive tone control mode.

It's been gigged maybe 10 times in its life and always kept under direct supervision. As a few people here know, I always keep every one of my instruments in excellent condition & this is no exception. It has some swirl marks on the pickguard, a few on the rear and some very tiny marks near the lower strap pin where I'm assuming it was rested on the ground at some point by the previous owner. Fretboard is a, pricey upgrade, Amazon rosewood and all frets, the board itself and the maple neck are in superb condition. The thin nitro finish on the back of the neck shows no signs of wear at all.

Official specs are:

Dark Cherry Burst

Quilted Maple Top - one of those that Roger does so well with amazing depth of colour

Chambered Swamp Ash Body - weighs just 8.2lbs / 3.7Kg

Amazon Rosewood Fingerboard

Mother of Pearl Face Dots (note that this is what the spec says but they look quite plain to me)

Maple Neck with thin Nitro Finish

1.5" nut

21 Frets

20mm Bridge Spacing - EDIT, checked with Roger (and a tape!) and this would have the regular Sadowsky 20mm spacing not 19mm

Sadowsky Humcancelling J pickups

Sadowsky Preamp - Master Volume, Pickup Blend, Vintage Tone Control (with pull for passive mode), Treble & Bass Boost

Current price for a new one of these with these specs is exactly $7,000 / £5,650 - that's excluding any delivery charges, VAT or Import duties. It is now possible to specify a Masterbuilt bass from Warwick in Germany but I don't think it would be any cheaper & the wait list is long - besides, it won't have had Roger's hands on it either, which, for me, was always something quite important as part of the 'brand experience' 😂

I've, therefore, priced it at around 25% off the base price for a new one.

It will come in a Hiscox hard case & with a nearly new Sadowsy neoprene strap (super comfortable and, at just 8.2lbs, great for long sets!).

I can potentially ship almost anywhere. EDIT: Checked direct with Sadowsky, and Gov sources, and this instrument would not require a CITES certificate for international shipping.

IMG_6924.thumb.jpg.ad5e3e14c8e5db30ab67b483db428a6c.jpg

IMG_6933.thumb.jpg.47d8c75028631a5153d1fa26d18a717c.jpg

IMG_6925.thumb.jpg.8af11743bb1744179d458ec941db891f.jpg  IMG_6931.thumb.jpg.d76572a0014f227eed329d16bce17d65.jpg

IMG_6928.thumb.jpg.c009cf9ceb1ff0e687a68a3b9c70d0ee.jpg 

IMG_6929.thumb.jpg.f601a4afbbd90e2bab46fa8978eeff1a.jpg

IMG_6930.thumb.jpg.0eeb29dafe897710d44adc391a7cf558.jpg

IMG_6927.thumb.jpg.b0695e2e1035f7c319a93b8482678b61.jpg

IMG_6926.thumb.jpg.6c9df2e648c2a156a8421f857c0816c3.jpg

IMG_6932.thumb.jpg.cbe68683b9b3f471c02b1d61b966aabb.jpg

f74883056.thumb.jpg.3308f4656acdb22ad72441422749ffc2.jpg

Edited by molan
Sold
  • Like 22

Stunning bass. Anyone considering a Custom Shop/Master Built Sadowsky should seriously consider this. I very recently got i  touch them with a view to ordering a german made masterbuilt bass and was quoted nearly £13,000 (yes that's right!) and over a year for delivery. 

1 hour ago, Alanbass said:

Stunning bass. Anyone considering a Custom Shop/Master Built Sadowsky should seriously consider this. I very recently got i  touch them with a view to ordering a german made masterbuilt bass and was quoted nearly £13,000 (yes that's right!) and over a year for delivery. 

Wow, I’d heard about the 12 months or more delivery dates but it sounds like prices have risen further since I last looked!

I guess this one of bought from the US would reach over £7K by the time it landed in the UK. 

To a degree, this is going to be simple supply and demand stuff. If you have to wait more than a year for a new one then the demand is certainly there!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Alanbass said:

And it is the vast increase in cost that simply astounds me - it almost beyond boutique! I can’t see these basses having the demand there has been in the past for new nyc basses. Perhaps there will be a growing pre-owned market in the years to come? 

Warwick Masterbuilt prices went through the roof about 5-6 years ago. It was almost as if they wanted to reduce the volume of these custom builds. Personally I'd always try to go through NYC for anything custom. It also gives you the option to travel over, meet Roger & the team and collect in person etc. All part of the experience when spending £6K-£7K+ on your very own custom build.

Ot you can just buy a lovely pre-owned one and save a few grand 😂

• Like 1

On 21/01/2023 at 12:01, molan said:

Oh my, that’s crazy - a 2 year+ wait!

You can get a custom hand painted Warwick for 40% off... Only a mere €12,865 instead of €21,430. 

For that you'd think they'd get the description right!!! Check out the last point of spec below... 🤣

Screenshot_20230122-153923_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a5feb8637f4fbab2395b4a2cb9147d26.jpg

Edited by binky_bass
  • Haha 2

A couple of edits applied to the original post.

I've had some queries about international shipping and I can confirm that this instrument does not require a CITES certificate. I've checked official shipping sources and also with Roger Sadowsky himself.

Someone also queried the strong spacing as the 21 fret series would normally come with 20mm spacing, again, Roger confirmed this is the standard spacing. I've taken a, rather rudimentary, tape measure to the strings and this appears to be correct to me :)

• Like 1