Why become a member? ×

So... what happened to ramps.

Stub Mandrel

Someone had previously screwed a ramp into this bass and then seemingly cut/snapped the screws off and filed them flat to the body. It actually looks pretty good with the whole ‘rustic’ vibe, but I added this felt malarkey as an experiment to cover them, and actually really like it. Easily removed too should I prefer the look without.

5148501E-B3DE-40B9-AD0A-B25C99EE85B9.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Oh, Charlotte.

I know it's 2023 and we don't say such things any more, but can I just say a quick 'phwoarr'?

Phwoarr.

Thanks.

By the way, "Zardoz" was set in 2023... 

OK. It was 2293..

And didn't she have a relationship with a keyboard player?

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

8 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

We seem obsessed with what to buy our basses as a treat; things we can screw in, glue on, or replace.  We're all guilty of it and we are all under the allusion these additions are all for betterment.

Same as with pets - we buy stuff for them that they don't need. We need it to buy it for them, it's like toys for us, but camouflaged 

10 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

We seem obsessed with what to buy our basses as a treat; things we can screw in, glue on, or replace.  We're all guilty of it and we are all under the allusion these additions are all for betterment.

Actually the ramps on my basses (the two Ibanez on the pic above your post) made me a better player, or rather helped to refine my right hand technique. 

Nowadays I use plectrum as much as (or more than) fingerstyle but back then when these two were my main practice/gigging instruments and I playes exclusively fingerstyle these rampes provided to be a helping addition to these basses. 

edit: and apart from these two ramps and refinishes on two of my other basses and the occasional EMG40 swapping I think 90% of the basses I ever had were completely stock w/o mods and stayed that way.  So while I understand your sentiments I think for me ramps were not a fad or a fancy thing to add but something that has proven to be worthwhile

Edited by Paulhauser
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

Actually the ramps on my basses (the two Ibanez on the pic above your post) made me a better player, or rather helped to refine my right hand technique.

Exactly, I didn’t know what they were about until I tried one, and then I totally got it 

13 minutes ago, Aras said:

Wow, what a beautiful instrument! What is it? 

10 minutes ago, ped said:

I might be wrong but I think a Ken Lawrence? 

9 minutes ago, Aras said:

Ken Lawrence Chamberbass fretless, yes, found it already 

Thanks. Yes, it is a Ken Lawrence Chamberbass (built in 2000). Here's a pic of the bass without the ramp. Trying to keep everyone in this thread happy.

1437970888_KenLawrenceChamberbass-4.3.thumb.jpg.c699dc055d07e5674968cd3ad5d911e9.jpg

M. M.

• Like 3