Why become a member? ×

Music you've done a 180 turn on since your teens/formative years

Barking Spiders

When flicking through my parent's vinyl when I was a kid, I flicked quickly past this:

image.thumb.png.d0366d35989c75a4afa98b48de1d2dc9.png

The decision was based purely upon how boring the cover looked.  Thought it was church music or something.  Only realised what I had missed when the Halifax ads started using "Our House".  Needless to say, opinion duly revised.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, neepheid said:

When flicking through my parent's vinyl when I was a kid, I flicked quickly past this:

image.thumb.png.d0366d35989c75a4afa98b48de1d2dc9.png

The decision was based purely upon how boring the cover looked.  Thought it was church music or something.  Only realised what I had missed when the Halifax ads started using "Our House".  Needless to say, opinion duly revised.

Must admit CSN&Y passed me by too in the 70's. Only 25 years later I came to realise the importance of their output,

and ended up liking Neil Young's stuff the most.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bass is ok but, my 180 has in a very nice way been forced on me. Through a combination of becoming sick and tired of playing in loud electric bands (and yes even an electric duo or cabaret outfit can wreck the ears) for so long with major ear problems kinda forced me to re-evaluate everything. I still noodle on bass but I've learnt Tenor recorder and I'm now just starting out on Cello. I havent been this enthused since I was 17 and never knew Bach, Handle , Mozart et al can really mess with ur time....ie I spend all my time studying them. It's been a bloody revelation.

• Like 2

Not really a 180 turn, but most of my favourite bands didn’t exist when I was a teen.  And although I still love all the bands I liked as a teen, I have to face it, times move on and music advances, and there are just so many new bands to

like. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bauhaus

Even though they're my best buds fave band, I never liked them at the time. It was much later I realised how incredibly awesome they were.

I saw them when they first reformed and toured, that gig is in my top 5 best gigs ever.

• Like 2

On 05/01/2023 at 23:49, Lozz196 said:

Early 80s pop - Wham, Duran, Spandau, Culture Club etc. As a teenage punk I hated all that whereas now I think it’s great.

I was a teenage punk/hair metal fan in this era, and I too hated Wham, Spandau & Culture Club.  I thought Duran were OK. (nothing special though, but just OK)
Nowadays, I'm 52, and I AM one of the old fart generation, even though I don't feel it (mind you, ask me again after a late night listening or playing loud music in a pub full of half-whizzed twentysomethings and you'll get a different answer)  I've mellowed as a listener, and my tastes have broadened.  I now listen to jazz occasionally, and I've been known to have a little boogie to some of the current chart fodder once in a while, but dig deep into my heart and you'll still find my core is full of 70's & 80's stuff!

• Like 2

On 03/03/2023 at 01:37, Nebadon2000 said:

Depeche Mode

How true. In the 80s I was into mainly 60s and 70s music - well out of step with my school and college friends. Had heated arguments how band like Depeche and Madness were rubbish, etc. Finally got into them when Violator came out and I was at uni. One of my friends was into electronica  and played in a band which I joined. Lucky to see them four times so far and off to see them at Twickenham this year. Also did a U-Turn on Madness and go to see them every other year with my daughter who knows more of the words than I do! Also like a lot more of the 80s stuff than I did then. I think I am a bit contrary. Another friend was a huge Rush fan and I tried, I really did. By the time of their last UK tour I got them and I am glad I went. Maybe I just take a while to get some things? Get their in the end though…

• Like 1

Still like most of the stuff I liked as a teenager, metal and whatnot mostly. I do hear it differently now though through the lens of paying guitar and bass to a reasonable standard for a few decades, example: I listen mostly to the bass now when listening to Van Halen because MA is a just a relentless groove machine who I didn't appreciate before. I did have a phase of being really into Raven era Stranglers but hearing it now leaves me cold. Hopefully if I ever turn into a jazz bore someone will shoot me (disclaimer - Larry Carlton is the greatest player of all time, that as jazzy as I will ever get).

Edited by bassman7755

Most 60s music seemed horribly old fashioned to me, that has changed dramatically.

The main change though has been that I can enjoy whatever I'm asked to play.

I used to be so precious about what I could or couldn't be seen to play. Now, if you pay me I'll play it, and probably enjoy doing so.

• Like 3

On 05/01/2023 at 21:17, WinterMute said:

Steely Dan, 1st year at Uni, bloke over the corridor in halls played a lot of Steely Dan, I hated it, preferring to drown it out with a solid diet of Rush, Zep, Pink Floyd, Motorhead and the like.

Now a proper devotee, love their work. Still love the other stuff too, my tastes have broadened. Ewen, you were right there mate.

Still can't stand Jazz mind.

Same with me hated Steely in the 70s,a bit different now ,they are one of my faves that's fo sho.