Why become a member? ×

2023 Gear Abstinence Thread

jimmyb625

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be grateful for a ruling. I've recently bought a HB Stomp Control unit, which allows for the connection and selection of up to four effects loops in any combination. Yes, it goes in the signal chain but it doesn't actually affect the signal itself other than routing it. Am I in or out? 🙂🙁🙂🙁

51 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

I'd be grateful for a ruling. I've recently bought a HB Stomp Control unit, which allows for the connection and selection of up to four effects loops in any combination. Yes, it goes in the signal chain but it doesn't actually affect the signal itself other than routing it. Am I in or out? 🙂🙁🙂🙁

It's gear.  If it's not directly replacing a broken item, then I think you're out.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I’m out, surprisingly a lot later than I thought I’d be at the beginning of the year.

I bought myself a Backbeat purely because my gig tonight has a stupid 75dB limit (honestly what are these guys smoking…?) so we are strictly on IEMs without anything onstage.

So a sort-of necessary purchase but still it stops me from making the cut this year sadly. Maybe next!

• Like 2

Wow, two months between posts. That has to be a record. 

I am stil trying to go out, but can't justify the purchase I want without flogging some kit. So- If someone here can help by buying this off me (and it doesn't count for this competition) then that would be great and I will crash out in style 😅

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/477376-cymatic-lr-16-live-recorder-2x8-way-loom-£260-open-to-offers/

i'm actually stunned - 7 months in to the year and i've still not bought anything bass or bass related.... starting to worry the wife i think - i've usually traded in or bought a new something by now haha

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Its almost a year since I purchased my last big item, more from lack of playing more than me exercising any restraint or anything 😅  

Same here. Last purchase was 25th July 2022. I should make it to the end of the year hopefully. 

I suspect that the real world cost of living is having an impact on us all. ☹️

Or to put it another way:

GAS PRICE HIKES HIT GAS!

"We can barely afford the bass-ics" say UK forum members. "It was buy food or a Fodera, but fortunately I found a can of tuna under the stairs" (more on p34)

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I suspect that the real world cost of living is having an impact on us all. ☹️

Or to put it another way:

GAS PRICE HIKES HIT GAS!

"We can barely afford the bass-ics" say UK forum members. "It was buy food or a Fodera, but fortunately I found a can of tuna under the stairs" (more on p34)

Yes even 'consumables' like strings, leads, valves (if you're into that) etc have become very pricey. 

5 hours ago, Richard R said:

Do cellists suffer from Classical GAS? 

Yes, but we can't afford it! There are some strings I'd like to try, but at around £300 a set, you can't really experiment.

My cello is German, dates to around 1900. If I had the money, I'd like a nice C19th English / German / French / Italian instrument. Unless you are very lucky, you'd be looking at prices of £15k and upwards - nice English cellos are very expensive. Forget an C18th instrument, I don't have enough gold bricks for that.

My bow is a basic German pernambuco one cost £450 back in 2011. I've tried bows costing up to £1,500 but not felt there to be much improvement. I've been told I need to spend a lot more than that to see 'real' improvements...  

I have had a discussion with my cello teacher about once I've moved house, I might treat myself... but not rushing

• Like 1