Why become a member? ×

NBD! Fender AV ‘63 Reissue Precision Bass. Edit: it has one issue.

ossyrocks

Finally got this in my hands yesterday. The sale was agreed a week ago, but we needed to arrange a meet up.

2016 American Vintage ‘63 Reissue in faded sonic blue. The tort guard is a Fender guard but not the original, however the original is included. 8lbs 15 oz.

It had La Bellas on it, but really heavy ones, so I’ve swapped those for some La Bella 760FLs. It needed a truss rod tweak to reduce the relief even after fitting lighter strings, some saddle adjustments and the pickup height. It’s now playing really well, very low action with no fret buzz, and sounding great. 

It has a piano like clarity unplugged which is really noticeable compared with my other basses, very resonant. 

I’m get used to the wider nut width and I think it will be fine. I’m really looking forward to taking it to rehearsal next week.

Cheers,

Rob

52B5C45A-EC56-4B6C-9E10-35181C065017.jpeg

E23EB3B1-6B1E-441B-B86F-925A4B981D83.jpeg

Edited by ossyrocks
  • Like 23

Ok, a few days in now. It’s a really great bass. It’s tight and punchy, plays superbly well, it’s well balanced on a strap, not too heavy, I really like it.

Apart from one thing……… the side dot markers on the neck. It has them, but they are very indistinct, so playing in low light requires more concentration over my left hand positioning. I’ve googled it, and it’s an issue with these AV reissues, lots of people are having the same issue. 

The question is, what to do about it? I love the bass and I want to keep it. I’ve been in touch with a luthier and sent him pictures. Right now I’m contemplating have the side dots replaced. What do you think?

Rob

E024494B-EEB9-4E4D-8765-5047180B5B96.jpeg

ECC449B6-28AA-4FE0-8715-24168F5E2E8D.jpeg

• Like 1

• ossyrocks changed the title to NBD! Fender AV ‘63 Reissue Precision Bass. Edit: it has one issue.

I "upgraded" some hard to see side dots using an ultra fine tipped UniBall POSCA paint based marker pen, they are inexpensive and available in a variety of colours:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uni-Ball-Posca-PC1-MR-Bullet-Marker/dp/B0046ZAH9E

It has worked well, seems to stay on and as it is water based should come off (with a bit of elbow grease) if I ever want.

S'manth x

Edited by Smanth
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Smanth said:

I "upgraded" some hard to see side dots using an ultra fine tipped UniBall POSCA paint based marker pen, they are inexpensive and available in a variety of colours:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uni-Ball-Posca-PC1-MR-Bullet-Marker/dp/B0046ZAH9E

It has worked well, seems to stay on and as it is water based should come off (with a bit of elbow grease) if I ever want.

S'manth x

This is definitely worth a try, thanks.

• Like 1

Same issue here. I use small white 'letraset' type transfers over the original dots from this chap https://www.rosetteguitarproducts.com/new-page-2

I have a thumb on back of neck style of playing so I don't rub them off but if you grip your neck like a baseball bat then I'm not sure this solution would be a long term one!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Muppet said:

Same issue here. I use small white 'letraset' type transfers over the original dots from this chap https://www.rosetteguitarproducts.com/new-page-2

I have a thumb on back of neck style of playing so I don't rub them off but if you grip your neck like a baseball bat then I'm not sure this solution would be a long term one!

Thanks for all the input. I’ve looked at all the options suggested and I’ve gone for these above ^ in the first instance.

At first I tried to find them in the Uk, to no avail. But if you do buy direct from the US, they’re only $6.90 and postage to the UK is free. I’ve gone for the smaller ivory ones as they are the same diameter as my current dot markers, the 1/8” ones might be a tad too big and look a bit odd.

Anyway, I’ll post an update once they are here and fitted. Fingers crossed.

Rob

• Like 1

I fit Luminlay side for markers to all my gigging basses, which does involve drilling the original ones out.   There’s still a problem with importing these though, so I recently had these off eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/407pc-Glow-In-The-Dark-Round-Dot-Luminous-Sticker-Sheet-Self-Adhesive-Room-Decal/165753031622?pageci=239ab921-0aea-4092-8b2b-37e779ab8fa6&redirect=mobile

I just used the small ones, and they’re impressively good.   Clean the area you’re going to stick them to with meths first to get a really good stick (unless your neck happens to be French polished, in which case don’t....), and they also come off leaving no marks to the finish.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Thanks for all the input. I’ve looked at all the options suggested and I’ve gone for these above ^ in the first instance.

At first I tried to find them in the Uk, to no avail. But if you do buy direct from the US, they’re only $6.90 and postage to the UK is free. I’ve gone for the smaller ivory ones as they are the same diameter as my current dot markers, the 1/8” ones might be a tad too big and look a bit odd.

Anyway, I’ll post an update once they are here and fitted. Fingers crossed.

Rob

Good stuff. This is them fitted to mine. 

20230104_182603.jpg

• Like 6

For what it’s worth here’s my pre cbs 63P 

they actually look lighter than they are in this picture.

I did have a few minor mishaps when I first got it.

Plenty of playing and no problem anymore 😄

8217F40E-C2E1-4505-8CDC-7897A0BA0439.thumb.jpeg.f07a3c7bdef3bd0e38e13533c43c22d0.jpeg

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Bunion said:

For what it’s worth here’s my pre cbs 63P 

they actually look lighter than they are in this picture.

I did have a few minor mishaps when I first got it.

Plenty of playing and no problem anymore 😄

8217F40E-C2E1-4505-8CDC-7897A0BA0439.thumb.jpeg.f07a3c7bdef3bd0e38e13533c43c22d0.jpeg

They don’t exactly stand out do they. I can see where Fender were coming from with the reissues, but I still think your 60 year old dots look more distinct than my six your old dots!  Lovely bass btw, congrats.

So, the dots arrived this morning, 8 days after purchase, from the USA, not bad.

The instructions are clear, fitting them is fiddly, especially getting the placement just right. These are the smaller ivory dots and are exactly the same diameter as the existing inlays, so positioning is crucial.

The kit says you get 12 dots, but I got 14, which was good as I wasted 3 of them. 
The result is better than I expected, they look good, can be clearly seen, and hardly felt.

Here’s some pics.

Rob

791544A5-7B58-4F79-A65B-400C42CCFAF6.jpeg

FB99976D-2D91-493E-9FC0-7FE0D5E7FFFA.jpeg

CF8F3437-B7F6-4926-90CB-D54579E3C0AC.jpeg

• Like 4