Why become a member? ×

Bass friendly fret position markers

jazzmanb

Hello all

Sorry if this has been covered before 

I've got myself a lovely 60s hydrid p bass 

The fretboard is very dark rosewood and the fret markers are a very faded white,half over the rosewood half on the neck

i'm more of a Jazz bass  player and struggling a bit with seeing where i am .More so on dark stages 

Any ideas for markers that doesnt involve touching the woods etc ? dont mind stickers etc to a point 

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

IME any sticker that isn't going to damage the finish in some way is going to come off at the most inopportune moment.

If they are around the same position i'd rarely make contact with them unless i do my fancy Sting moves with my thumb

One of my Jazz basses (Squier, rosewood board) has tiny side dot markers.

I’ve used luminlay type sticker dots, they used to move slightly if my hands got hot & sticky..

To overcome this I’ve put the smallest of blobs of clear nail varnish over the dots to hold them in place, it hasn’t damaged the fingerboard & does the trick nicely 👍

I’m still waiting until proper Luminlay becomes available again without the shipping prices from Japan?

3 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

I use a tippex pen and put a couple of dots over the side markers, yes it wears off eventually but the pen is always in my bag and it dries in seconds.  been doing it for years and hasn't affected any of the necks adversely yet.

Was going to suggest the same.

I do this on my upright because I'm a heathen hack.

Doesn't harm the bass at all. That's my job 😁

• Like 2

I find most side dots to be too small especially on Fender basses so always use 3mm white as white side dots when building or refurbing a bass. (I haven’t found 3mm luminous ones so far). The problem is if the fingerboard is ‘thin’ at the edges a clever bit of repositioning the centre of a new 3mm dot is required.

On 28/12/2022 at 17:19, Boodang said:

Glow Tec Starglow fretmarkers.

I've got them on a couple of my basses... they're low profile and stay in place well.

Wouldn't this bring out the 13 year old boy in most of us??

STARGLOW Reflective Paint Marker

£14.99 – £24.99

A multi-surface, retro-reflective paint marker which create near-invisible markings, signs, symbols or notices which, when hit with a beam of light at night, will glow brightly in much same way a road-traffic sign reflects a car headlights.