Why become a member? ×

Something bad happened

Owen

2 hours ago, paul_5 said:

not just trimming the strings either - that's small potatoes compared to the unfinished wood he's left at the bottom and lack of rear strap peg.

Wowsers, is there an old ladies moaning meeting you should be at somewhere instead of trolling here?

I can trim the strings in seconds but I can't put the ends back if the owner decides they want to either plug the ends, create a plastic clamp or possibly recess them at an angle into the triangle headstock.

As for the unfinished wood, the whole bass would need to be stripped back and repainted costing up to £500 as you can't just retouch poly paint and expect it to seemlessly match.

Everyones strap choice can be very specific so if buy a bass and it has different straplocks to what you already have do you buy another strap or change the locks to match...moan, moan, moan.

1 minute ago, PriZeMaN said:

Wowsers, is there an old ladies moaning meeting you should be at somewhere instead of trolling here?

I can trim the strings in seconds but I can't put the ends back if the owner decides they want to either plug the ends, create a plastic clamp or possibly recess them at an angle into the triangle headstock.

As for the unfinished wood, the whole bass would need to be stripped back and repainted costing up to £500 as you can't just retouch poly paint and expect it to seemlessly match.

Everyones strap choice can be very specific so if buy a bass and it has different straplocks to what you already have do you buy another strap or change the locks to match...moan, moan, moan.

This is a bass forum, you've got a bass for sale, people are commenting with genuine observations and thoughts. I would see this as an opportunity to learn from the critique. You've done something I couldn't do with skills I don't have, so that is admirable from my point of view. Perhaps consider some of these comments as points to address to expand your potential customer base. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

Sure it’s fine, might even be a huge improvement on the original, but I suspect any buyer would want to know a few whys. Why did you do it, why is it better than the original, and why are you now selling it? 

Why do you want to know? Especially the last 'why' because that is potentially a very personal question that isn't relevant?

2 minutes ago, PriZeMaN said:

Why do you want to know? Especially the last 'why' because that is potentially a very personal question that isn't relevant?

Because people will want to know why you undertook this project and why you're selling it - this is a very unique and personalised customisation. For you to sell it may make some people think that is doesn't play well, or sound right and especially for £2000 they'd want to ensure they're not buying a lemon. Mentioning a reason why you're selling isn't essential, but it may alleviate some worries.

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Looks OK, not the usual 'cut and shut' but if only he'd trimmed those strings so they matched the contour of the headstock, and what's going on with those set screws  on the B and E strings, as they seem a lot more recessed?

The set screws in the locking clamp use shallower gauges to allow for the obvious thickness of the strings. I see you're another party member of the 'Trim the strings brigade'...I'll throw in a pair of Knipex wire cutters if you buy it 😜

5 minutes ago, PriZeMaN said:

The set screws in the locking clamp use shallower gauges to allow for the obvious thickness of the strings.

That's not quite correct. I have one of these bridges, the reason why the ADGC screws are further out is because the saddle the ball end sits in is a little too far forward prior to tuning this means you have to wind the tuner more which then exposes the end of the screw. If you wind the saddle in before setting the ball end of the string in it, it moves the saddle to a better position therefore you need to rotate the tuner less thus not exposing the screw. Makes no odds to the functionality, but that'll be why the B and the E are more recessed. 

Edited by binky_bass

3 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Because people will want to know why you undertook this project and why you're selling it - this is a very unique and personalised customisation. For you to sell it may make some people think that is doesn't play well, or sound right and especially for £2000 they'd want to ensure they're not buying a lemon. Mentioning a reason why you're selling isn't essential, but it may alleviate some worries.

Seriously??? If it was a lemon then who in their right mind unless they were Jim Carrey from Liar Liar would include that in the description?

I'm guessing that because this is a very unique modification that any potential buyer would want to view the bass in detail and play it rather than just have it posted.

It plays the same as when it was original and all the mods have been carried out with precision and care. I like taking on weird and wonderful projects, that's the kind of guy I am.

I don't wish to waste my time or risk pissing off a fellow brother/sister bass player who may travel miles and miles to buy a serious bit of kit for them to be hugely dissapointed with a lemon.

This will be evident to a collector that is interested when they see and play the glory of the HEADLESS BONGO ;)

Seriously??? If it was a lemon then who in their right mind unless they were Jim Carrey from Liar Liar would include that in the description?

I'm guessing that because this is a very unique modification that any potential buyer would want to view the bass in detail and play it rather than just have it posted.

It plays the same as when it was original and all the mods have been carried out with precision and care. I like taking on weird and wonderful projects, that's the kind of guy I am.

I don't wish to waste my time or risk pissing off a fellow brother/sister bass player who may travel miles and miles to buy a serious bit of kit for them to be hugely dissapointed with a lemon.

This will be evident to a collector that is interested when they see and play the glory of the HEADLESS BONGO ;)

I've no doubt it isn't a lemon, and quite conceivably plays better than its pre-mod state. But, having answers to these questions might just help a sale, so why not answer them. That'd be my personal point of view if I were selling something unique. 

• Like 1

A fair point, IMO. 

Not sure why there's so much negativity - if you don' like it, don't buy it! I think if you're already considering a Bongo then this is only a small step further and as the seller says in the description, a blank canvas to do more mods/refinish etc as desired. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

This is a bass forum, you've got a bass for sale, people are commenting with genuine observations and thoughts. I would see this as an opportunity to learn from the critique. You've done something I couldn't do with skills I don't have, so that is admirable from my point of view. Perhaps consider some of these comments as points to address to expand your potential customer base. 

Thanks dude, that was a nice reply and...no moaning ;)

• Like 1

I really like the idea, even just putting a bag over the Bongo headstock would be an improvement so lopping it off completely gets my vote. Bongos are amazing instruments but also unspeakably hideous at the same time.

The execution is poor though - bare wood, odd shaping choices and wonky lines all over the place. Needs some work to put right and a full refin, price is a bit wacky but if you have the skills to fix it and wait until the inevitable price drop it could be a good buy. Kudos to the seller for showing the work done, warts and all.

320650757_540959047939884_61498616991503320659203_872971943896837_44381992268930

320627932_8501661499905867_3473578658306

6 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I really like the idea, even just putting a bag over the Bongo headstock would be an improvement so lopping it off completely gets my vote. Bongos are amazing instruments but also unspeakably hideous at the same time.

The execution is poor though - bare wood, odd shaping choices and wonky lines all over the place. Needs some work to put right and a full refin, price is a bit wacky but if you have the skills to fix it and wait until the inevitable price drop it could be a good buy. Kudos to the seller for showing the work done, warts and all.

320650757_540959047939884_61498616991503320659203_872971943896837_44381992268930

320627932_8501661499905867_3473578658306

I think is your eyes that are wonky my friend.

1 hour ago, PriZeMaN said:

OK, I'll bite  even though I realise I'm just adding 02 to the flames....

Must be my eyes too then, are you really telling me the routing  for the tuner cut-out in photo 3 has not 'wandered' a bit? Looks like it may have tipped and nibbled some of the edge?

1 hour ago, PriZeMaN said:

It's not terrible, decent amateur attempt where nothing has gone badly wrong and nothing more really. We've all seen worse on this particular part of the forum but conversely there's also a lot of far more polished, accurate and skilled work from members on here who build instruments to a very high standard in their spare time. I don't think you're going to have much luck passing it off as a pro luthier job because, well... look at it.

As already mentioned it's a niche within a niche within a niche - how many people will want a headless Bongo 6er? Single digits probably. Now from that number think how many people will want to part with £2k for an instrument that needs a full refin. The potential customer base is probably zero unfortunately. I'd take the body off, sand it back and stain it to at least get it saleable for a little bit of elbow grease and minimal cost. Maybe introduce some softer lines in the headstock part too, for all its inherent ugliness the Bongo is a bass with some nicely flowing lines, those harsh angles look out of place.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 4