Why become a member? ×

Something bad happened

Owen

I’ve read this with interest. Nobody here would have an issue with this if it’s your bass that you play and love.

The problem is, when you mess with the originality of the instrument, you dramatically effect the value. But you can’t seem to accept this. 

Leaving it unfinished suggests you’re either a poor craftsperson or you’re lazy. Neither of which encourage people to buy a £2k bass.

This isn’t a personal attack on you, I’m sure you’re a good egg. But the Bongo 6 is already a niche instrument, and you’re limiting your market with these changes. Add on to that your attitude and it’s a hard sell.

Happy Christmas, good luck with your sale, and I hope you can find someone that loves it as much as you do.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Sometimes people have to try these things to prove that they can't.

It is being so defensive about this that I believe is holding the OP back.

The man that never made a mistake never made anything but the man that can't and won't admit his own mistakes is unteachable and can't move on.

I wouldn't do that to a rare bass without testing the concept on something of a lesser value.

Not because I can't but because it isn't wise to do.

Before anyone throws stones I am a very skilled woodworker and machinist but I am not a luthier

Yep - there's no problem mucking about with your own stuff.

The disconnect is where folks adopt the "it owes me" stance and even look to add a charge for their own time and/or artistic input.

A supplementary issue with this one is that it looks like the change has only been taken so far and then given up on.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...