Why become a member? ×

Best machine heads?

Owen

I have always thought that a machine head was a machine head. My ACG has some Hipshot Ultra Lite jobbies on it. Wow, it looks like a machine head is not just a machine head. The mechanical action is massively pleasing and the tuning accuracy is fabulous.

What should I have on my shopping list?

I have two favourites:

The hipshot HB7 lollipops on my vintera & JMJ mustangs look great and work exactly as a tuner should.

20710LN_800x.jpg?v=1521860795

The Gotoh res-o-lite GB640s sets I put on my Thunderbird vintage pros not only look great and work perfectly, they are also ultra light and are the only ones I know of in this vintage 50s/60s style that turn the same way as the tuners on all of my other basses.

GB640-XN.jpg

Gotoh, Graphtec, Hipshot and Schaller all make machine heads worth considering.

Which you chose will depend on features are important to you. Gotoh used to be the most versatile because they offered a service where you could assemble a set of machine heads from all the various options they had. This unfortunately no longer appears to be available, so you have to make do with the preset options instead.

On 20/12/2022 at 10:18, lidl e said:

Personally, im a big fan of the Schaller open backs with the chubby keys

20221122_161744.thumb.jpg.19a6c45e4e7b45ce5193063f91f27ab1.jpg

Yes, I do enjoy me some M4S action.  The Grover Titans are similar but less elegant because they use visible mounting screws instead of built in pins on the underside.

• Like 1

Hipshot ultralights are my favourite. Having experienced both USA and licenced versions on various basses I am highly impressed with the licenced ones.  A standout bargain are these : https://retrovibe.co.uk/product/premium-quality-bass-tuning-machine-heads-201-retrovibe-tuners-2l2r-4l-4r/ . I used a set on a bass build, really smooth tuning feel and at 59g each are not heavy weights.  For comparison a Schaller M4 light is 52g.