Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton MB 4 SBK mods?

thisisswanbon

Hey all!

I've pulled the trigger on one of the Harley Benton passive stingray clones... For £121 delivered they seem an absolute steal!  I'm thinking even with a new pick up and tuning pegs it's going to be cheaper than a SBMM sub ray 4.

Not a lot of info on modding these online... Anyone got one? If so, did you change anything?!

• Like 1

Do you have it already? Any feedback on neck, weigh and balance? It's a bass I often consider buying. I suspect on a bass weith only bridge pickup I may personally want to add some bottom end. It is a pity one cannot just drop a preamp in but I was thinking I could just use an external preamp after all. Stll, very interested in this topic, maybe there are pickupsnthat makenit less of an issue..

I briefly had the 5-string version, more than anything to see if it was as decent as people were saying (it was) and to see if I could get in with a 5er 20 years after last playing one (I couldn’t).

In terms of mods all I did was replaced the pickup with a Warman pickup. A few people seem to have done that with them. Was definitely an improvement.

7 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

In terms of mods all I did was replaced the pickup with a Warman pickup.

A pal asked to do that on his sunburst version. No idea if it was an improvement as I never got the chance to play it before the swap.

Another 2 jobs I did were wire the Warman in parallel and knock up a Stingray preamp. Nothing wrong with the stock tuners or bridge so left them alone.

On 12/12/2022 at 19:54, mr4stringz said:

I briefly had the 5-string version, more than anything to see if it was as decent as people were saying (it was) and to see if I could get in with a 5er 20 years after last playing one (I couldn’t).

In terms of mods all I did was replaced the pickup with a Warman pickup. A few people seem to have done that with them. Was definitely an improvement.

My story is a little similar but with different outcome.

I've tried 5-string basses on and off over the years. Didn't gel with any. The MB-5 was cheap enough and I like the Stingray type of sound... but I never like 5-string basses, do I? I hesitated and my girlfriend bought it for me.

I loved it.

It was well balanced, reasonably light, and I loved that neck. Of course, it had to sound good, and it did. I considered putting a preamp in there to make it more like a 5-string version of my main bass... but I enjoyed the passive controls. So much, that I just kept playing it and I finally 'clicked' with the 5-string and now I am "ambidextrous" 😝 

The MB-5 led to a couple more Harley Benton 5-stringers, a JJ and a PJ (JJ55OP and JP55OP), and more recently a Ray35, so I get the versatility of the preamp for when I want that stuff, and the MB-5 for others. 

Aaanyway, I sound like grandpa and his stories... To answer the OP, I've kept mine stock. I'm not shy when it comes to mod instruments, most of my guitars aren't stock. But sometimes an instrument just fills a niche as it is and I don't want to change a thing. The MB-5 is one of them. The one thing I'm tempted to change is the bridge. Not that there's anything too wrong with the existing one, I just would like a slightly wider spacing and the fingerboard is wide enough to allow that... but I'm not in a hurry.

Oh, I lied! It's not stock... I didn't like he tortoise-shell effect type pickguard and had a matt black one made:

IMG_20210216_084719762.jpg?dl=1

• Like 7

Warman pickup turned mine into a snarling rock beast, Wilkinson tuners required slight filing to fit but aid tuning and tuning stability, skull and crossbones control knobs make me look totally hard as nails.  It's great to play, sounds sublime, was very cheap to buy and mod, and is my main bass for band rehearsals and my backup for live playing.

• Like 1

You won't regret it. They sound good out the vbox, but with a bit of Warman goodness they sound epic. A bass/pickup combo that cowt less than £150 has no right sounding so good, it's against the laws of man and nature!

Be aware I had to file the cut out in the pickguard ever so slightly to make the Warman fit, otherwise it was an easy conversion. The big pole pieces look like they mean business.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

You won't regret it. They sound good out the vbox, but with a bit of Warman goodness they sound epic. A bass/pickup combo that cowt less than £150 has no right sounding so good, it's against the laws of man and nature!

Be aware I had to file the cut out in the pickguard ever so slightly to make the Warman fit, otherwise it was an easy conversion. The big pole pieces look like they mean business.

Looking forward to trying it!

• Like 1

On 13/12/2022 at 21:51, mcnach said:

I've tried 5-string basses on and off over the years. Didn't gel with any. The MB-5 was cheap enough and I like the Stingray type of sound... but I never like 5-string basses, do I? I hesitated and my girlfriend bought it for me.

I loved it.

It was well balanced, reasonably light, and I loved that neck. Of course, it had to sound good, and it did. I considered putting a preamp in there to make it more like a 5-string version of my main bass... but I enjoyed the passive controls. So much, that I just kept playing it and I finally 'clicked' with the 5-string and now I am "ambidextrous" 😝 

The MB-5 led to a couple more Harley Benton 5-stringers, a JJ and a PJ (JJ55OP and JP55OP), and more recently a Ray35, so I get the versatility of the preamp for when I want that stuff, and the MB-5 for others. 

Aaanyway, I sound like grandpa and his stories... To answer the OP, I've kept mine stock. I'm not shy when it comes to mod instruments, most of my guitars aren't stock. But sometimes an instrument just fills a niche as it is and I don't want to change a thing. The MB-5 is one of them. The one thing I'm tempted to change is the bridge. Not that there's anything too wrong with the existing one, I just would like a slightly wider spacing and the fingerboard is wide enough to allow that... but I'm not in a hurry.

Oh, I lied! It's not stock... I didn't like he tortoise-shell effect type pickguard and had a matt black one made:

Looks really nice! What's the string spacing at the bridge? 

• Like 1

I added the Warman pup to my 5 string one and that made a significant different to the tonal capabilities. I also added an Artec SE2a preamp (this has a stacked treble and bass 2 band eq and a balance and volume).

This made a huge difference to me in terms of tonal shaping. it was a tight squeeze and needed a bit of fettling to get in but for about £40/£50 this has made a massive difference to this bass. Admittedly the balance doesn't really need to be there but i just leave it central to select both coils. I wanted to add a series parallel switch at some point but adapting this is outside my capabilities!

I also defretted mine as I wanted a cheap fretless 5 and changed some of the hardware for chrome to remove that matt blackness of it! See below...

I also have further plans to completely reshape it into a headless bass and chamber out the body to reduce weight. Basically, mill off 5-10mm off the top, chamber out sections of the body and then glue on a new top and refinish. This would also mean refinishing the neck as well unless i can hide where i chop the headstock off! A white body with the matt black neck would look quite cool!

Edited by carlsim
  • Like 2

Thanks for all of the info guys... mine hasn't come yet but I'm pretty excited about it.  I did seem to read a lot of bad reviews AFTER I'd ordered it, but I'll stay open minded until it arrives.  Was thinking of either an Aguilar or Warman pick up depending on how the pick up sounds, I think it's a given that the tuners will need changing.  I've read a lot that they're short of low end, have any of you experienced this?

On 13/12/2022 at 21:51, mcnach said:

I loved it.

That scratch plate looks great!  I'd love to exchange the bridge when mine comes, those big back plate bridges without the retaining posts next to the saddles just don't do it for me.

3 hours ago, carlsim said:

I added the Warman pup to my 5 string one and that made a significant different to the tonal capabilities. I also added an Artec SE2a preamp (this has a stacked treble and bass 2 band eq and a balance and volume).

This made a huge difference to me in terms of tonal shaping. it was a tight squeeze and needed a bit of fettling to get in but for about £40/£50 this has made a massive difference to this bass. Admittedly the balance doesn't really need to be there but i just leave it central to select both coils. I wanted to add a series parallel switch at some point but adapting this is outside my capabilities!

I also defretted mine as I wanted a cheap fretless 5 and changed some of the hardware for chrome to remove that matt blackness of it! See below...

I also have further plans to completely reshape it into a headless bass and chamber out the body to reduce weight. Basically, mill off 5-10mm off the top, chamber out sections of the body and then glue on a new top and refinish. This would also mean refinishing the neck as well unless i can hide where i chop the headstock off! A white body with the matt black neck would look quite cool!

The headless mod sounds like it would be incredible! I always thought a headless stingray would be a glorious thing.  Where did you put the battery for the active pre-amp?  I'm tempted by the Warman mod, but think I'll see what it's like stock first.

20 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

The headless mod sounds like it would be incredible! I always thought a headless stingray would be a glorious thing.  Where did you put the battery for the active pre-amp?  I'm tempted by the Warman mod, but think I'll see what it's like stock first.

to be honest, it was @kodiakblair who did it first, I'm following his lead!

I added a battery box to the rear of the bass, routed a small compartment out and drilled an access hole for the cables. Pretty straightforward but the paint marks very easily. The stock pup isn’t bad, I think a preamp upgrade is a much more worthy process in my back. Single tone controls in my mind are a bit restricting and I prefer specific eq. I was trying to mimic a 2 band original stingray function.

• Like 1

I’m about to order one. I want a bass to leave at our rehearsal space. I go to work straight from rehearsal and for security reasons I can’t take a bass into work. So a cheap bass that just lives at the rehearsal room makes sense. I may do a pickup upgrade, but to be honest If it sounds half decent stock, I may just leave it as it is. I will be a rehearsal bass for 90% of the time. Looking forward to actually trying one out. Some of these cheaper basses are great nowadays. I’ve just bought another Sire V7. For £449 they are superb.