Why become a member? ×

Is there such a pedal?

fretmeister

For a little project I'm looking to recreate Dusty Hill's live tone.

It is surprisingly filthy. And lovely:

I've watched the rig rundown vids that are available and from them and from the footage from the "Raw" session it seems like he's basically using Marshall plexi types - either the JMP-1 preamp or the Magnatone head and cabs.

This project is not something I can take my Helix to.

So is there a Plexi based pedal with an EQ suitable for bass, maybe with a clean blend that anyone can think of? 

I could get any old Plexi in a Box pedal and use a Boss LS-2 for a blend but I'd like to keep the board as light as possible.

ta

14 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you can get the required tone from your Helix, can you not hide it somewhere in the backline? After all it's not like your going to need to change patches throughout the set.

My Helix is a rack and now fully integrated into my home studio. It's my interface / soundcard etc.

Would be a nightmare to pull it apart each time.

12 hours ago, Hellzero said:

The smallest valve combo turned all the way up will do the job as it was the idea.

Last time I saw them live, the bass was simply oversaturated all the time.

You can also make holes in the speaker(s) cone(s) the way Lemmy did.

That certainly meets my requirements for a pedal.

It's not very helpful I know, but the main thing here is the old-style Precision with the single coil. The distortion is adding flavour but that single coil clank is really what this sound is all about.

When I had such a Precision I used to get a great ZZ Top tone with an EBS Billy Sheehan, surprisingly. I don't think chasing a Marshall-derived tone is vital.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

It's not very helpful I know, but the main thing here is the old-style Precision with the single coil. The distortion is adding flavour but that single coil clank is really what this sound is all about.

When I had such a Precision I used to get a great ZZ Top tone with an EBS Billy Sheehan, surprisingly. I don't think chasing a Marshall-derived tone is vital.

ah damn - I had an EBS BS pedal a few years ago but I sold it!

DOH!

51 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

ah damn - I had an EBS BS pedal a few years ago but I sold it!

DOH!

It does depend on the bass - the EBS only really gave that sort of ZZ Top grind with the single coil P. They push drive pedals in a particular way. With everything else it had that typical Billy midrangey sound.

What bass(es) are you using?

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

13 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

It does depend on the bass - the EBS only really gave that sort of ZZ Top grind with the single coil P. They push drive pedals in a particular way. With everything else it had that typical Billy midrangey sound.

What bass(es) are you using?

A P bass with an Aguilar 60s wind pickup.

Stainless rounds just like Dusty used - well he used GHS Super Steels and I've got Prosteels, but that's close enough!

I've never tried a P with the old single coil.

6 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I know, but my Pedal Train Nano can take 4 Boss size pedals or 2 Boss size and one PSA type thing.

I need my octave, Compressor and filter.

So I’ve only got space for one other Boss sized pedal.

Run the PSA on the floor next to it 😁

It's hard to not find the distortion you're after in the PSA, it's an amazing little thing. I'm slightly ashamed that mine isn't getting used.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I know, but my Pedal Train Nano can take 4 Boss size pedals or 2 Boss size and one PSA type thing.

I need my octave, Compressor and filter.

So I’ve only got space for one other Boss sized pedal.

Ooor... you could get a Nano+?

18 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Run the PSA on the floor next to it 😁

It's hard to not find the distortion you're after in the PSA, it's an amazing little thing. I'm slightly ashamed that mine isn't getting used.

That’s what I would do, or DP3X - it’s what they are designed for

• Like 1

On 19/11/2022 at 19:11, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Absolutely this! It's all in the mids. I use the Sheehan Deluxe, put it on a low gain setting and then for a cabinet sim, the Mooer / Fender Micro DI. You might not even need an EQ. The compressor on the Deluxe is lovely in the 'mid' setting too. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Aaaaaand, I've just bought my old EBS Billy back 😄

There's some really cool tricks up the Sheehan pedals have up their sleeves. Using the sends alone on the effects loops you can split the signal and send it off to separate paths or even different amps. 

• Like 1