Why become a member? ×

When provenance is not enough (in my view)

Clarky

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

People do pay crazy money for old crap. Just look at the value of Austin Allegro's, up to £10k for a really tidy one and they were terrible cars.

Oh Testicleese I seem to recall I gave one away and it was a high end model.

4 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

People do pay crazy money for old crap. Just look at the value of Austin Allegro's, up to £10k for a really tidy one and they were terrible cars.

I bought a mint one for a hundred quid in the late 90s. Had it for years because the b@st@rd thing refused to die. I guess I got a (the only) good one! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miles'tone said:

My 65 P is the best Precision I've ever played. I wouldn't sell it for any money.

(Soon to be seen on a market place near you 😄)

I kid. This one's not going anywhere. 

You remember that movie where the filthy rich guy offers the young couple a million bucks to spend the night with the wife.

Apparently he doesn't collect vintage guitars. Shrug

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

You mean it had an ashtray AND a driver seat headrest??? That's some serious luxury. 

I cant remember the model number or whatever but it had metallic bronze paint and I think twin carbs or something like. Maybe a 1300 model or something

I just remembered I got it from a friend who gave it to me. I feel better now!

I did know a guy who had an Allegro coupe and had far more value of spare parts put in it than it was worth as new.

Lucky for him he had a friend who worked in the spares department of the local agency.

Edited by Ralf1e

34 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

I cant remember the model number or whatever but it had metallic bronze paint and I think twin carbs or something like. Maybe a 1300 model or something

I did know a guy who had an Allegro coupe and had far more value of spare parts put in it than it was worth as new.

Lucky for him he had a friend who worked in the spares department of the local agency.

Not to forget the Vanden Plas model with the big toothy grille to "make it resemble a Rolls Royce"! 😂

• Haha 1

I assume this is a comission sale and is very wishful thinking from the owner. When I sold a Bass through Bass Gallery they asked me what I wanted to advertise it for and they didn't really question that price, they just put it up for the amount and take their % if it sells or wait for the seller to reduce the price if it doesn't. 

• Like 1

On 08/11/2022 at 15:31, Ralf1e said:

Allegro Coupe? Do you mean a 2 door one?

On 08/11/2022 at 13:56, Doctor J said:

There is a teeny tiny difference between a Stradivarius and a Fender, even one where Leo grew the tree himself using only Holy Water.

Why? 

Surely the only difference is a few hundred years? 

Edited by peteb

14 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

the sad thing is we all sit here chatting about "vintage value" and cosmetic condition... and the thing could play like a million dollars and it still wouldn't make a difference. 

We are certainly a style over substance culture, what Guy Debord termed "The Society of the Spectacle":

""All that once was directly lived has become mere representation." Debord argues that the history of social life can be understood as "the decline of being into having, and having into merely appearing." This condition, according to Debord, is the "historical moment at which the commodity completes its colonization of social life."

Merely appearing...

However that bass sets up or doesn't, it isn't worth 9 grand. There are plenty of instruments a fraction of the price that set-up well.

3 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

""All that once was directly lived has become mere representation." Debord argues that the history of social life can be understood as "the decline of being into having, and having into merely appearing." This condition, according to Debord, is the "historical moment at which the commodity completes its colonization of social life."

Merely appearing...

A very interesting quote there Grimalkin, was there a prediction of what happens after that state? Some sort of reset where we put less emphasis on material goods/wealth, or a Lord of the Flies style apocalyptic struggle?

Pretty sure most existing Trace Elliot gear would survive the latter 😄

5 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

A very interesting quote there Grimalkin, was there a prediction of what happens after that state? Some sort of reset where we put less emphasis on material goods/wealth, or a Lord of the Flies style apocalyptic struggle?

Read it yourself (Btw don’t know how good this translation is, when I was at Uni I studied a different version) https://monoskop.org/images/e/e4/Debord_Guy_Society_of_the_Spectacle_1970.pdf

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

A Theatre of the Absurd where no one can actually do anything, they were only entertained for it because they looked the part.

But that's been happening since the '80s, a defining era...

Or perhaps the existing Trace Elliot gear will discover AI, become self-aware and enslave humanity. I think we are at the theatre stage myself:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre_of_the_Absurd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre_of_the_Absurd

• Like 1

Not sure what the problem is here. Presumably the description is accurate. Value is subjective. If a consumer doesn't think its worth spending 9k on, then it will go unsold. If someone is willing to pay 9k for it, then it must be worth it to them; They know exactly what they're getting.. there's no trickery or scam.  

• Like 2