Why become a member? ×

Drilling out tuning post holes

SteveXFR

Should be OK if you have a good pillar drill set up to centre the drill and go steady...

Half depth from each side...

Got a scrap of wood to go 12 > 18 as a test.

Trying to 'Go-Again' with a flat bottom drill may have issues... again bit of scrap to practice.

Tapered Reamer to clear most (from both sides) then finish with the 12mm?

Edited by PaulThePlug

my favoured method for this would actually be to fill the holes in with some 12mm dowel then re-drill with an 18mm  forstner bit, (sounds counter-intuative but would guide the bit the best)

A small diameter (3mm) pilot hole through would allow you to drill from both sides for the cleanest finish.

Matt

• Like 7

When I put cloverleaf tuners on my Variax I used a cheapy Lidl step cutter bit to take the hole up to 18mm on both sides, then ran an 18mm bit through the centre part. 

The 2 or 3mm deep 18mm hole on either side from the step cutter acts as a guide going in and prevents break out coming out. 

• Like 3

On 31/10/2022 at 08:37, Matt P said:

my favoured method for this would actually be to fill the holes in with some 12mm dowel then re-drill with an 18mm  forstner bit, (sounds counter-intuative but would guide the bit the best)

A small diameter (3mm) pilot hole through would allow you to drill from both sides for the cleanest finish.

Matt

This plus if you want to drill all the way through, clamp a piece of sacrificial wood to the top and bottom. This will protect both the finish at the top and tear out at the bottom. Oh and before you do it, line up the machine heads on the headstock to make sure they look right. Sometimes the shaft lengths on replacement are different, on my Aerodyne I fitted Gotoh Re-O-Lite clover heads and the shaft lengths are a tad long ( to be honest I did not do enough research as they did a drop in replacement for the Femder ones). The extra length does not bother me but it might bother some people. I also nearly came a cropper on my Sire when I replaced the stock machine heads with Hipshots.

30EB04F0-06A3-43D3-8EBB-878561A66E13.thumb.jpeg.3351251f9b00529e4077b87c6d141bac.jpeg

1 minute ago, fleabag said:

I don't see how a Forstner bit would work, as they can't be centrered on a hole that's already there.

Using a drill press with the drill off, address the piece with the bit, spin it by hand to check clamping location by eyeballing it in two axes, clamp it, drill on, drill for real.

If that's too wooly for you, I get it, but I'm happy with the results I got.

• Like 1