Why become a member? ×

Thomann Tease

stewblack

1 hour ago, AngeR said:

I’m really sorry if someone is offended by from what I said. Actually, it’s just my opinion. I’m not telling that anyone that buys this bass is stupid or something… for me, doesn’t even come close to Sire (Sire are far from perfect too). 

Here’s my point:

- the bridge was terrible because when you hit hard the E and G strings the saddles move around, other cheap bridges don’t

- the neck pickup has a significant low output comparing with the bridge one (it’s like on a jazz bass you have the neck pickup at 50% and the bridge at 100%)

- actually, I did the setup on this bass and part of my daily work, it’s repairing guitars (setup, fret levelling, changing electronics and many other things) so I might know something 

Funny thing that there’s people who is offended by an opinion based on a recent exeperience. 

My student was really happy with the bass, for me that’s the important thing. 

I would buy it? Hell no! 

Again, that’s only my opinion. 

If the pickups are the same of the JB 75 (I am not sure that's the case but that would be my bet) your student really should not have that problem at all. I imagine the bass would still be within the 30 day return window, and regsrdless Thomann is likely to accept that as a defect and allow a free return/replacement at any time. By getting the bass replaced your student may even be more lucky with the bridge. I have a Wilkinson bridge with brass saddles (so I guess similar if not the same as the HB's) on a Squier Affinity P bass and never had any problem - it certainly felt sturdier than the Affinity bridge. I do not use high tension strings though

5 hours ago, AngeR said:

Doesn’t seem to. There’s a a fair amount of difference on the impedance of the pickups. 
I might have encontered a bass that wasn’t checked by the quality control

I'd expect a partial short to cause a significant impedance difference, leading to a noticeable difference in volume.

I doubt any normal QC check would pick that up.

Thomann are poor at understanding technical faults. My brother had a HB with mis-wired controls and they asked for videos. Although the strange control behaviour was obvious in his video(s!) they just saw both PUPs worked and wouldn't accept there was an issue.

So... he just said "I've decided I don't like it", returned it and then ordered another one. No questions asked.  🤷‍♂️ (Same thing works at Ikea apparently "this mattressdoesn't fit teh bed you said it would!" - "nothing wrong with it, we can't change it!" -"I've decided I don't like this mattress" - "OK, I'll process a refund."

In contrast, I got a Joyo amp with a euro plug and no adaptor, emailed them, and they sent one out next day.

• 2 weeks later...

I whacked some Bart’s into mine and a Ki0g0n wiring loom and it’s a nice improvement over the stock electronics. Mine is heavy at over 4kg but the balance is great and I’m not that aware of it being overly heavy whilst wearing/playing it - I do have wide straps so I’m sure than helps. 

I always like coming back to a jazz bass especially with a little hair of dirt as an always on tone - there’s just something about that scoop! The Bart’s sound good in this one and I’m very pleased with the overall package. The neck really is a thing of joy and was the deciding factor for me in opting to try one. 

Got my final gig with the 80’s band this weekend and I’m stoked that I’ve got all the upgrades done and tested ‘on the road’ in time for that show. It fits the band sound really well and has that nice zing for slap without being too brittle in the top end. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I might try one anyway...

Yeah, take one for the team, Stew B|

I'm sorely tempted by one for the money, although it looks like it's only a single volume control so doesn't look like any pickup blending options, plus I'd have to ditch the tort scratch plate because, well, it's tort 🤢🤮 But even with a couple of cheap and easy mods it could well be a lot of bass for not much money. So it'd be great to get an objective hands on opinion of one. 

4 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Only Burgundy Mist on the website at the moment. It's a shame about the matching headstock, because I think it could do with a wee reduction in size. Still...

image.png.c8e2422f65b80de36ddc4d21c7966868.png

I saw pink and green and black on there. Funnily didn't see the burgundy. That is beautiful in real life by the way. I have it on my jazz

4 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I saw pink and green and black on there. Funnily didn't see the burgundy. That is beautiful in real life by the way. I have it on my jazz

Ah, they're not all listed under short scale it seems.

Sorted in a search https://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sw=Harley Benton MV-4MSB Gotoh &smcs=57032f_905

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Ah, they're not all listed under short scale it seems.

Sorted in a search https://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sw=Harley Benton MV-4MSB Gotoh &smcs=57032f_905

Cheers EZ, looks like there's 5 colour options, the pinky/purple above, turdburst, black, shell pink and my fave of the bunch, sea foam green. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mv_4msb_gotoh_sfg.htm

39 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

It doesn’t look right though.  The headstock doesn’t match the body, the standard PJ pickups look too big.  Maybe they’ll do a more classic version in time.

Why doesn't the headstock match the body, looks a pretty good match here. The standard PJ pickups are the same as the fender ones too.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Why doesn't the headstock match the body, looks a pretty good match here. The standard PJ pickups are the same as the fender ones too.

Headstock too long and a bit pointy, whereas body is stumpy.  I’m probably too Fenderised or something.  I don’t like the Fender PJ Mustang either - don’t look right (to me).

Proper nut width though - that’s good 👍