Why become a member? ×

Thomann Tease

stewblack

9 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

I like the Pink one and the Green one but I recently bought a Squire 70's CV Jazz in natural and should not buy any more basses. Aai help!  I mustn't look!!

We have similar tastes! I'm having a red one and a green one.

One day 

Maybe 

Unless I resist.

16 minutes ago, stewblack said:

The good news is there's a few weeks before Thomann has them in stock.

Like a built in cooling off period before you buy.

Gives us time to recover from what we bought in the last 3-4 weeks

They seem to have thought of everything 😀

Bar Stewards 🤣

They should go into politics, at least we would get value for money then rather than what we get for our taxes now Grrr

Sorry moment of weakness.

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Like 1

That should be it right?

https://harleybenton.com/product/mv-4jb-gotoh-db/

Aesthetic aside, looks like the main difference with the JB75 is the gotoh tuners, unless the caramelized neck is actually roasted. Unless.. they have taken the opportunity to slim down the neck and the body and the bass has a more normal weigh. In this case, with good pickups, tuners and bridge, it would be a game changer for the price range

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

That should be it right?

https://harleybenton.com/product/mv-4jb-gotoh-db/

Aesthetic aside, looks like the main difference with the JB75 is the gotoh tuners, unless the caramelized neck is actually roasted. Unless.. they have taken the opportunity to slim down the neck and the body and the bass has a more normal weigh. In this case, with good pickups, tuners and bridge, it would be a game changer for the price range

I came back to post the same thing via a Music Radar article.

Harley Benton offers premium hardware at entry-level prices on the £199 J-style MV-4JB Gotoh bass guitar | MusicRadar

I have to admit, they are quite pretty basses. I don't usually go for shell pink (it's a bit of fad at the moment), but it does look quite handsome.  I just wish they'd offer a maple fretboard with black inlays - like the JB75 series, but with a painted, matching headstock.

And I hope they've saved some weight. It's the only thing that put me off getting a JB75.

3 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

And I hope they've saved some weight. It's the only thing that put me off getting a JB75.

Agreed - I had an HB bass, and it played supurbly but I am sure after a gig I was a few inches shorter and there was a dent in the floor where I was standing!

• Haha 1

The new jazz range is being sold at 156 quid each.

Just let that sink in. Brand new and proven quality instruments at a price you'd jump at if it was a comparable second hand instrument of most any other make.

Glad so many people are coming around to just how good they are.

• Like 2

I've just compared the specs on the HB website. The JB75 is "american ash" and the new MV-4JB Gotoh is alder.  One would assume the alder bass is lighter.

FWIW, the other new jazz bass they recently released in their Classic series (the Gotoh is Deluxe) has a poplar body.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I've just compared the specs on the HB website. The JB75 is "american ash" and the new MV-4JB Gotoh is alder.  One would assume the alder bass is lighter.

FWIW, the other new jazz bass they recently released in their Standard series (the Gotoh is Deluxe) has a poplar body.

Good spot on the wood. Aesthetically I prefer the sunburst bass in the poplar series and I am not so sure I have strong opinions on tone woods yet so maybe that's still the way to go for me unless it balances badly (and it certainly would unless they have changed the neck shape significantly from the JB75fl

I think there is a very good chance I'll buy a HB J within the next few months. But I'll let others go ahead and test them first 😁 

21 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

Good spot on the wood. Aesthetically I prefer the sunburst bass in the poplar series and I am not so sure I have strong opinions on tone woods yet so maybe that's still the way to go for me unless it balances badly (and it certainly would unless they have changed the neck shape significantly from the JB75fl

I think there is a very good chance I'll buy a HB J within the next few months. But I'll let others go ahead and test them first 😁 

I have no opinions on tonewood either. My main concern with wood these days is weight, and as you say, whether it balances or not.

Looking at the specs again, it appears the new basses have a D shaped neck profile, whereas the JB75 Vintage series have a C shaped profile. I guess there's potential for the D shape to be heavier, or maybe they break even. However, with a roasted maple neck (assuming roasted=caramelised) and the lightweight Gotoh tuners, the neck should be lighter too and balance better.

It makes me wonder if HB have been listening and created this bass in answer to the comments regarding the weight of their basses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, velvetkevorkian said:

Metallic burgundy with tort is certainly a choice that was made...

thumbnail_17314735_800.jpg

Na you serious. weeps into bank statement.

Actually in the last year I gave my German built bolt on Warwick thumb to my grandson. He is progressing nicely from what he had before.

In fact from since only playing from last October he is almost unbelievable. Show off.

No one was there to do that for me so why not.

Edited by Ralf1e

So it's a jazz but with expensive fixings. Hmm. Seeing as I've never had a problem with the parts on HB basses, nor ever felt the need to change them then it's down to block inlays and the colours.

Which of course is more than enough reason for me to buy one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The new colours do look great and I appreciate that the tuners are one of the main selling points but.........I think they're the worst thing about them. I'm sure they're great, but I'm just not a fan of that style tuner on a retro looking bass.

If there was a P coming out with a roasted maple board then I'd be pretty tempted though 

18 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

The new colours do look great and I appreciate that the tuners are one of the main selling points but.........I think they're the worst thing about them. I'm sure they're great, but I'm just not a fan of that style tuner on a retro looking bass.

Came here to say exactly this. Not a good look, needs cloverleaf tuners! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

So it's a jazz but with expensive fixings. Hmm. Seeing as I've never had a problem with the parts on HB basses, nor ever felt the need to change them then it's down to block inlays and the colours.

Which of course is more than enough reason for me to buy one. 

That Burgundy Mist one, and the Shell Pink as well, are looking at me with 'come to bed' eyes...

And I don't even like Jazz necks.

I'll walk away fast before my wallet opens...

46 minutes ago, mcnach said:

That Burgundy Mist one, and the Shell Pink as well, are looking at me with 'come to bed' eyes...

And I don't even like Jazz necks.

I'll walk away fast before my wallet opens...

I'm getting some day work in to raise the money