Why become a member? ×

Female Bass Players

SamIAm

On 12/10/2022 at 20:18, Sonic_Groove said:

Not sure it is that simple S'manth, I been on a few Acoustic Guitar schools & weekends & there are not really many females take part (even though some of the tutors are female). So don't know?

Also as a short bottom guy with not very big hands I myself have usually played very big heavy basses including 6 strings didn't ever put me off.

It's probably also to do with the fact that playing in a band on the local circuit can be a complete PITA & can be as mentioned sometimes seem very "Blokey" 

We gals are good at dealing with PITA!!!

And blokey,  these days with supposed gender equality ... !?!?!?

Anyway I will bash my bass till the cows come home ... an I love it!

S'manth x

• Like 1

On 14/10/2022 at 18:37, tegs07 said:

My daughter has recently shown an interest in playing bass. After a couple of lessons using a Fender Jazz it became quite obvious that this was an instrument designed with a male player in mind. I have a Sandberg Cali and the dimensions and neck profile are far more comfortable for her to play. It’s lighter and  more ergonomic.

It may just be a matter of ladies hunting down a more ergonomic bass as a lot of the more common models are definitely heavy and not a great fit for the female form.

For sure ... short scale are the way to go (IMHO)

I can definitely play faster on a shorty, but then there are areas where the frets get a little bit close together... you probably have to switch scale completely and get used to it... wax on / wax off... sorry if that's stating the obvious.

I think 32" scale is the way to go, but I am still yet to try one. 🤷‍♀️

8 hours ago, Stingray5 said:

Interesting thread and as I read through all six pages, many of the female bass players I would have mentioned, were already mentioned. Except this one (I think):

Ah yes, Marta Altesa. She played some gigs with Jamiroquai in South America and apparently ended up living in London. Her YouTube channel was pretty successful but she stopped posting 5 years ago. Anyone know what happened to her?

1 hour ago, Velarian said:

Ah yes, Marta Altesa. She played some gigs with Jamiroquai in South America and apparently ended up living in London. Her YouTube channel was pretty successful but she stopped posting 5 years ago. Anyone know what happened to her?

Yes, she married me

and then I woke up :(

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Velarian said:

I'm pretty sure that she just sat in with Jamiroquai at soundcheck rather than actually played gigs with them? (Still cool though)

Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned Linda Oh yet? She's killing it in the Jazz world lately.

Naomi Holmes from William the Conqueror. Saw them twice at Red Rooster festival and then again the other night in Cambridge. Cracking band and she gets a great bass sound as well as gorgeous backing vocals. See them if you can. They're on tour at the moment for a little while longer.

52 minutes ago, Japhet said:

Naomi Holmes from William the Conqueror. Saw them twice at Red Rooster festival and then again the other night in Cambridge. Cracking band and she gets a great bass sound as well as gorgeous backing vocals. See them if you can. They're on tour at the moment for a little while longer.

I'm liking this. I was listening to Jamiroquai as per the other thread but now I'm listening to these guys :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doddy said:

I'm pretty sure that she just sat in with Jamiroquai at soundcheck rather than actually played gigs with them? (Still cool though)

Apologies, I stand corrected. It appears that this was already covered on BC 4 years ago. That thread got locked so I won’t reference it here.

Agreed, it was still cool. 😉

Thank you for turning me on to Ozric Tentacles. 

Cool Gong-ish band.

As for female bass players, and being a bassist (yes, I play the Chapman Stick but think it like a bassist even while playing the thin strings), I find them just SEXY. And intimidating when they play whup-*ss shenanigans.

• Like 1

On 17/10/2022 at 12:14, Linus27 said:

I'm liking this. I was listening to Jamiroquai as per the other thread but now I'm listening to these guys :)

This is being held up as an example of great bass playing? 3 repeated root notes all on the E string? I'm clearly out of touch.

21 minutes ago, pete.young said:

This is being held up as an example of great bass playing? 3 repeated root notes all on the E string? I'm clearly out of touch.

They've got more than one song. I've checked the thread title too and the word 'great' doesn't feature, but, having seen them live a few times, I can assure you that she's a very good player.

Edited by Japhet
  • Like 1