Why become a member? ×

So I just bought a bass that Basschat (and I) appear to not like.....

Beedster

27 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

One of those 2013 closet classics that looks like a Bronco?

@Ed_S you get the prize :)

I came very close to buying one a few years back when I was looking for a bass with twin singe coils (and was thinking of installing a pair of those Nordy SCs in Jazz Bass cases and install in a Jazz body, but I couldn't get the PUPs in the UK at the time so gave up). The bridge doesn't work for me so I'm going to find something a little more Fender. 

It ticks a lot of the boxes I wanted ticked in an electric bass at present, bit of a gamble but c'est la via ......

image.thumb.png.7a794dfc7b7283d0c3c7d69078f48944.png

• Like 12

35 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I came very close to buying one a few years back when I was looking for a bass with twin singe coils (and was thinking of installing a pair of those Nordy SCs in Jazz Bass cases and install in a Jazz body, but I couldn't get the PUPs in the UK at the time so gave up). The bridge doesn't work for me so I'm going to find something a little more Fender. 

It ticks a lot of the boxes I wanted ticked in an electric bass at present, bit of a gamble but c'est la via ......

Epic 🙂

To be honest, I was never strongly against these when they first came out - there was just no way I was going to pay the ticket price for one at that point. If I was still playing 4 string Precisions I'd have actually been quite tempted to give this one a go when it came up for sale, but I'm on the 5s at present. Agree about the bridge - the slightly curvy Fender high mass one that they used on the USA Standard / Professional models might look quite fitting.

Hope it's a success!

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

I like that, it's just different enough. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ed_S said:

Epic 🙂

To be honest, I was never strongly against these when they first came out - there was just no way I was going to pay the ticket price for one at that point. If I was still playing 4 string Precisions I'd have actually been quite tempted to give this one a go when it came up for sale, but I'm on the 5s at present. Agree about the bridge - the slightly curvy Fender high mass one that they used on the USA Standard / Professional models might look quite fitting.

Hope it's a success!

Thanks mate, yes they were apparently stupid money when released, there's no way I'd be buying this bass new, but I remember think at the time "To all intents it's just a 50's SC Precision with an extra PUP, what's all the fuss?", and then thinking "Actually I imagine that's a pretty good combination. I read a couple of posts on TB by guys who'd modded their SC Precisions similarly and seemed quite happy with the results so the idea stuck. And frankly the used price wasn't much more that standard US Precisions are going for these days.........

In my quest for something with two PUPs but a little out of the ordinary (I've fallen out of love with P/J and never was much of one for J/J anyway) I was also having a good long look at this bass, but over and above being less than impressed by the shop selling it, realised that it lacked a PUP in the all important sport. So I think I made the right choice :) 

image.thumb.png.7fcda8ce07e2ca0240c21d265e8d58a6.png

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I think the Alpher basses that have looked most interesting have the same pickup config as yours - I think it looks great

I didn't realise that Luke, that interesting, and those Alphers look bloody amazing, I'm just not sure they'd look so amazing slung around me :)

I’m sorry but this thread is making me feel quite nauseous. Single coil pickup mounted right next to the bridge? It’s a BASS guitar goddammit!

*shuffles off clutching well-worn Precision, disturbing small birds nesting in beard*

Hope you love it @Beedster!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2