Why become a member? ×

DR Black Beauties

Alan Wilkes

I think that’s what was on my Unicorn when I picked it up. They had been on for a while but still sound good. So good I’ve left them on .
Normally when I pick up a bass I immediately put on strings.

9CCC7AF9-932D-4D5B-ADA2-AD93420CB538.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The previous owner of the Unicorn used a pick , you can see where the black finish has flaked off over the bridge pickup. I’ve come to like the look so I’ll probably get some Black Beauties if I restring it.

I’ve liked them a lot more than I thought I would. I’ve no idea how old they are but they sound deep and still have a little top end. I’m not in any panic to replace them, I don’t use that bass often. 
I usually put fresh stings on new basses , most have flats , l do have some with old rounds , and some I keep fresh rounds on.

I buy a surprising amount of strings.

• Haha 1

Really nice strings, I’ve used nothing else on my fretted basses for the last couple of years.   Good articulate sound (very growly on my Warwicks), last far longer than uncoated, and they’re tapered so a narrower part of the core runs over the bridge saddle, improving sustain.  Only downside they can feel a tad sticky / grabby when doing slides, especially when new and especially if your hands are sweaty.....

D203EFF8-852D-417F-A4AA-E07366092511.jpeg

• Like 3

I have a set on my Hofner Verythin bass and it's coming away on tour with me tomorrow. I love DR strings - they sound nice and bright with plenty of bottom end and don't dull quickly. I have the neons on other basses and whilst I worried about not being able to see them on stage, turns out I don't look at my fretboard as much as I thought (plus the dot markers along the side of the neck stand out all the more when the strings are black). A very different animal to the Rotosound ones, going from memory. I play rock in the band I use them in with a very heavy pick attack and the marks on the strings are actually very minimal. 

IMG_5274.jpg.25f3efbe991ef152cfe304d442ff904d.jpg

• Like 2

On 05/10/2022 at 13:18, Shaggy said:

Really nice strings, I’ve used nothing else on my fretted basses for the last couple of years.   Good articulate sound (very growly on my Warwicks), last far longer than uncoated, and they’re tapered so a narrower part of the core runs over the bridge saddle, improving sustain.  Only downside they can feel a tad sticky / grabby when doing slides, especially when new and especially if your hands are sweaty.....

D203EFF8-852D-417F-A4AA-E07366092511.jpeg

Thanks for that.👍

• Like 1

On 05/10/2022 at 12:57, msb said:

I’ve liked them a lot more than I thought I would. I’ve no idea how old they are but they sound deep and still have a little top end. I’m not in any panic to replace them, I don’t use that bass often. 
I usually put fresh stings on new basses , most have flats , l do have some with old rounds , and some I keep fresh rounds on.

I buy a surprising amount of strings.

Me too,.some flats and some rounds, just like a change.

• 1 month later...

Intrigued by these. Does anyone have any feedback on the relative tension of the 40-100 set vs the 45-105? I prefer lower tension strings in general (eg TI Flats) but as these are round core - not hex core -  maybe the 40-100 set would be too low tension?

Edit: I have searched online but can't find any string tension measurements for DR strings. Also these would be for my gloss black Spector bass.

Edited by Clarky

• 1 month later...

I've recently fitted them onto my Sandberg VM4 and my initial response to how they sound and feel is WOW.

Played a 3 hr gig with them and they were brilliant.

I dont have any tension figures on the box but they are similar to in feel to my D'Addario EXL190's

I was surprised how flexible they were (40-100's) compared to other coated strings i've tried over the years.

I'm a convert and got another set at Xmas for my MarloweDK and will be fitting a set to my P bass once i've used up my other spare string sets.

Dave

• Like 1

Just ordered another set from Amazon altho they're now up at £36 free postage.

My VM4 is quite mid focused and they sounded really good on it. I found the tone and string volume pretty well even across the strings. It was like stepping up to a better class of bass where everything is better built, smoother edges and just feels a lot better to play.

I really am smitten with them. Hopefully they'll last a good bit longer than normal strings.

Dave