Why become a member? ×

Complete - 32" Scale Headless 5 String

benh

Another slow burn I'd imagine, but nearly completed getting all the bits together for my next build! Decided to go headless this time, with the impressive Nova headless hardware from @Andre_Passini. Specs will be as follows:

32" scale

White limba/padauk through neck with zebrano fingerboard 

Black limba body wings with ebiara top

Nova headless hardware

Delano Xtender HE pickup

Aguilar OBP-1 preamp

Comments and criticism welcome. All the timber, electronics and hardware are here so won't be changing much at this stage. Will update as things progress!

PXL_20220831_181854298.jpg

PXL_20220827_211801894.jpg

PXL_20220831_181848975.jpg

PXL_20220831_181902551.jpg

PXL_20220831_181843046.jpg

Edited by benh
Finished!
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Si600 said:

On the back, directly behind the A saddle?

Thanks, I wondered about putting it on the back. Will probably go with straplocks on this one though, might stick out a bit much. I also wondered about putting it above the tuners, if I can fettle the design so that that body wood under the tuners protrudes by the same amount it'd (in theory) stand up without damaging the tuners. Hmm. Undecided!

Normally a headless will have a body which extends to the end of the tuners on each side, and typically there will be a strap peg both above and below them. Sei_everythingless.jpg.e0283b6d1038be43aee461d87d0fc14d.jpg

This means that you can stand it on end without bothering with a stand.

If the tuners are exposed, you really need to use a stand.

image.png.ff151ab6f44fb450be9e91bae594160f.png

• Thanks 1

Just now, Smanth said:

Looks fab!

I shall soon be starting on my second bass, 5 string headless sans frets ... I look forward to seeing how yours goes (and learning from it! lol).

S'manth x

Thank you - I think the learning will go the other way though, your build threads are fab! Was sorry to hear about the fire. Looking forward to seeing yours progress!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Simply gorgeous!

On an earlier point about locking strap thingies.

I recently got a Hohner Headless, (as per my profile pic).

It would sit wonderfully level on the two strap buttons, with the tuners kept safe from floor contact.

I then fitted an S-Lock, whilst the strap button on the bass is not that different from the original, when I've got the strap on the strap mechanics protrude about 12mm an the whole rig leans at a jaunty (even worrying) angle now!

Not sure if any of the fully recessed strap lock systems might avois this issue.

S'manth x

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Can I ask what sort of money your build cost ? I’m honestly curious 

lovely work btw 

No worries - I'd estimate about £100-£120 for timber, £100 for the preamp and  £120 for the pickup. Around £20 for the fretwire. £10 for Warwick just a nut. Pots, wire, control knobs, truss rod etc I already had so not sure.