Why become a member? ×

Complete - 32" Scale Headless 5 String

benh

On 23/10/2022 at 11:36, Smanth said:

Simply gorgeous!

On an earlier point about locking strap thingies.

I recently got a Hohner Headless, (as per my profile pic).

It would sit wonderfully level on the two strap buttons, with the tuners kept safe from floor contact.

I then fitted an S-Lock, whilst the strap button on the bass is not that different from the original, when I've got the strap on the strap mechanics protrude about 12mm an the whole rig leans at a jaunty (even worrying) angle now!

Not sure if any of the fully recessed strap lock systems might avois this issue.

S'manth x

Some day I'll get round to replacing the strap buttons on my Hohner cricket bat with straplocks - I intend to move the neck strap peg to the top leading edge of the body, a mod that I have seen done somewhere. @FlatEric has a bass with a strap button in the corresponding position:

image.png.f2963bb3393d560020209f3f81c9a8d0.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Small update. Fretboard glued in place (remembered the truss rod, just in time), fretted, tidied up the body shape (and routed for the pickup). Lots and lots of sanding to go, as well as hardware to fit and electronics to sort, but getting there!

PXL_20221215_152140473.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Forgot to take pics of the boring bit. Sanding, pore filling with Z Poxy, more sanding, sealing, spraying, wet sanding... Over with now! Buffed with Meguiars ultimate compound, I think it's come out alright!

PXL_20230105_190118008.jpg

PXL_20230105_190103614.jpg

Edited by benh
Pics
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • benh changed the title to Complete - 32" Scale Headless 5 String
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, tauzero said:

Looks really good. Headless is so much better than headed.

On the practical side, can you stand it up without the tuners touching the floor?

This is actually the first headless I've ever owned (and built) but I think I'm a convert to be honest. And yes, it does stand up without touching the tuners, so long as the straplock is clipped on