Why become a member? ×

Big up for the Markbass STD 104HR

lownote

Just thought I'd shoot a mention for the 800w Markbass 4x10 cab. For me, lovely tone. And although bulky, so light!  Everyone raves about the ultra-portable Barefaced cabs but this MB has twice the speakerage yet is entirely manageable, even for a old buffer with atrophied muscles and heart disease. I bought it with casters fitted but I've just taken them off, because the simple woodscrews worked loose and also the wheels added to the weight without being especially useful or necessary. In fact, any issue with the cab is in its size rather than weight.  It's taken me 11 years to find The One and it ain't going anywhere in a hurry (well, until tomorrow anyway).

[Edit: Pic shows the 410 mounted experimentally on an amp stand. Post post I tried it out. While it  looks cool I was astonished how much this bled off the cab's oomph - totally cut its balls off.  Why I have no idea.  Experiment hastily reversed and cab now back on the floor] 

_72A2796.jpg

Edited by lownote
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, lownote said:

Just thought I'd shoot a mention for the 800w Markbass 4x10 cab. For me, lovely tone. And although bulky, so light!  Everyone raves about the ultra-portable Barefaced offerings. But the MB is enirely manageable, even for a old buffer with atrophied muscles and heart disease. In fact, any issue is in its size rather than weight.  It's taken me 11 years to find The One and it ain't going anywhere in a hurry (well, until tomorrow anyway). 

I used to own a 4 ohm STD104HF which was an incredible cab. I only sold it because it was physically too large for many of the venues I was playing. The best Markbass cab I've played by some margin.

• Like 1

• lownote changed the title to Big up for the Markbass STD 104HR

I'm using a modular 4x10 arrangement made up of a STD102HF together with a Traveller 102P cab and my Little Mark head and I love it. 

Previous had a Barefaced 2x12 but the Markbass set up behaves much more like a bass rig for my needs, and still v light and portable.

(Updated with image)

D8AEAD9E-91E0-481C-BDBD-33B2AC7E2070.png

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 1

I agree. I genuinely dont know why or how barefaced get all the credit for lightweight cabs when markbass have been doing it for years and years.

I've had a 6x10 at 32kg and currently use a 2x10 combo at 15kg, and that's built like a tank and an easy one handed lift.

They sound so much richer to me as well. The amps have heft and the cabs sound like bass cabs should.

The newest line look crazy light. 4x10s at 15kg !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

Both of your comments are really interesting to me as I'm SOOO close to selling my barefaced and going for a markbass 104, I've seen comments saying the barefaced stuff smokes the mark bass cabs, but your experiences sound a lot closer to what I was expecting to see!

I can’t vouch for all the Barefaced range as I haven’t tried it. But in terms of the one cab I did own (Big Twin II I think it’s called) I much preferred the sound of the Markbass stuff.

As I understand it Barefaced is great as FRFR stuff - a great blank canvas for effects etc. But for me as a plug in and play bassist (I just use a tuner, a compressor and occasionally a chorus if needed) then the Markbass stuff feels more like familiar ‘bass speakers’ territory rather than the super transparent Barefaced sound.

Each to their own tho. Lots of people on here love their Barefaced cabs. They are incredibly light weight too - noticeably lighter than my Markbass cabs. 

12 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

I'm using a modular 4x10 arrangement made up of a STD102HF together with a Traveller 102P cab and my Little Mark head and I love it. 

Previous had a Barefaced 2x12 but the Markbass set up behaves much more like a bass rig for my needs, and still v light and portable.

(Updated with image)

D8AEAD9E-91E0-481C-BDBD-33B2AC7E2070.png

I have a combo version based of this CMD102p plus a 102TP traveller. Sounds great to me, light powefulr punchy tone , with plenty of low end, and very versatile. I did swap the horrible Leson tweeter in the combo for an HT30 one which was a big improvement for twenty quid. I may change the speaker one too

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

As I understand it Barefaced is great as FRFR stuff - a great blank canvas for effects etc. But for me as a plug in and play bassist (I just use a tuner, a compressor and occasionally a chorus if needed) then the Markbass stuff feels more like familiar ‘bass speakers’ territory rather than the super transparent Barefaced sound.

i think the 10 inch drivers are voiced differently to the twelves.

• Like 1

I had two BF210s and a One10.  Nice cabs with clear sound but for me the MB projects better, doesn't weigh much more and is generally much more to my preference.  YMMV of course.

Edited by lownote
  • Like 1

After doing a bit of digging, I was nailed on going for 2 x 210 cabs and vertically stacking; but it doesn't look like they do a 210 cab powerful enough for my head... I have the LM vintage 1000, and all of their 210 8 ohm cabs seem to stop at 400w 🤦‍♂️ and Andertons is out of stock of the 500 watt version until November so can't even exchange... looks like a 410 will be the way to go after all.  Going to hold out for the new MB58R cab reviews start coming through though they look great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thisisswanbon said:

After doing a bit of digging, I was nailed on going for 2 x 210 cabs and vertically stacking; but it doesn't look like they do a 210 cab powerful enough for my head... I have the LM vintage 1000, and all of their 210 8 ohm cabs seem to stop at 400w 🤦‍♂️ and Andertons is out of stock of the 500 watt version until November so can't even exchange... looks like a 410 will be the way to go after all.  Going to hold out for the new MB58R cab reviews start coming through though they look great!

x2 210 traveller cabs is more than enough. I've used them on big stages with a 500w head, and only had the master around 9pm on the dial.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

I can’t vouch for all the Barefaced range as I haven’t tried it. But in terms of the one cab I did own (Big Twin II I think it’s called) I much preferred the sound of the Markbass stuff.

Each to their own tho. Lots of people on here love their Barefaced cabs. They are incredibly light weight too - noticeably lighter than my Markbass cabs. 

The ten inch range of BF sound very different to the 12 inch. The 10s are voiced to be far more vintage / traditional in tone.

I used to use a set of Mark Bass Club 1x12 and they were very good, but I prefer the clarity / flatness of the BF 12s these days.

I think Mark Bass were the first major brand to move to genuinely lightweight cabs, but as with all things there were developments from competitors and BF then went lighter still. Now GR have some models that are lighter.

Now Mark Bass have introduced their new line that are even lighter. Can't want to try them. 

I did notice that the photos of the new cabs suggest they are very deep. Hopefully not so large that they've got them lighter but they won't fit in my car!

Edited by fretmeister
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Aye.

And 410 as a monitor is crazy town overkill unless you're on an outdoor stage.

I am sorry I must be mr crazy town overkill as I use a Peavey mini mega sat on top of a 2x10 Peavey with a 4x10 Peavey to hold it up. I play in Oxford City so I am realy mr crazy city overkill. But as my settings are gain 9 O'clock and master vol at 9 O'clock I am heard and felt amongst the din of drummers and singers that can stop a tank at 100 yards lol but I am not loud. Used to use Peavey black widows awesome speakers, can't get them anymore.

The new ones are cheap and good.

Buy the speakers not the hype.

Your own ears are far better to judge for you than any amount of anything we or any advertising can write. Do the leg work have fun as you do. You won't regret it.

And if you do it will be your own fault ha ha

4 hours ago, la bam said:

x2 210 traveller cabs is more than enough. I've used them on big stages with a 500w head, and only had the master around 9pm on the dial.

Completely agree with you from a volume stand point, my concerns were more with a wattage thing than a volume thing.  My head is 1000w at 4ohm, and 600w at 8ohm.  All of Mark Bass's compact 8ohm cabs seem to stop at 400w so I'd be forever scared of burning them out.

5 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

Completely agree with you from a volume stand point, my concerns were more with a wattage thing than a volume thing.  My head is 1000w at 4ohm, and 600w at 8ohm.  All of Mark Bass's compact 8ohm cabs seem to stop at 400w so I'd be forever scared of burning them out.

Nah, nothing to worry about there. You wont even get close to 1000w.