Why become a member? ×

John Entwistle Slab 66 P on Reverb

acidbass

• acidbass changed the title to John Entwistle Slab 66 P on Reverb

I would love one of these basses but £40 grand is my limit, I'm afraid.

It's a good job the seller isn't trying to flog this on Basschat, though :

"If only this was a five string I'd be all over it."

"What does it weigh?"

"Would you consider a trade with an Elric fretless and can you ship to Moldova?"

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

• 5 months later...

I have one of these to sell. It's been really well looked after - over the years it's had a new neck, body, pickup, wiring and even new hardware. So I reckon I can ask a bit more for it that that battered old thing.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, acidbass said:

That is an incredible figure.  I wonder if this particular bass is mentioned in the Slab Bass book.

I think they all are. The vintage guitar market heads ever further into the stratosphere of preposterousness. 

Barry Matthew’s slab was up for £9k at AB a while back and the guys at the equipment rental place had one for £10k a couple of years back.

7 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

40 grand for any musical instrument is just mental (yes I know, stradavarius etc etc) 

Does anyone ever actually pay this kind of money back in real life?? 

We don’t need to get into “are vintage instruments better” (they’re not), but if you buy right it’s undeniable that they’re a good investment. 

Whether they will continue to be, who knows!

19 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

40 grand for any musical instrument is just mental (yes I know, stradavarius etc etc) 

Does anyone ever actually pay this kind of money back in real life?? 

I look at professional level double basses and have the same thoughts.  How on earth would you earn that back unless you become a prolific player commanding eye watering money.

Edited by 3below

10 minutes ago, 3below said:

I look at professional level double basses and have the same thoughts.  How on earth would you earn that back unless you become a prolific player commanding eye watering money.

As I understand it, many of these instruments are owned by orchestras rather than players. Maybe that’s how?

5 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

As I understand it, many of these instruments are owned by orchestras rather than players. Maybe that’s how?

That puts a different perspective on the prices.  Obvious now you have mentioned it :)

29 minutes ago, 3below said:

That puts a different perspective on the prices.  Obvious now you have mentioned it :)

I think they're also supported by lots of charities and things that can either buy the instrument and then provide long-term loan of it, or interest free repayments over a long-term period (like a mortgage, I guess). I wonder what would happen if you tried to borrow from them to buy this?

1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

Just a thought but I wonder if the body on this bass was original?  I mean, given how many JE smashed up and all that in the late sixties...

Also, I thought there were 66 rather than 25 made...?

I am pretty sure only 25 were made. Still, gives me yet another opportunity to kick myself for selling mine (pre-internet days so I had no idea it was so rare).

11 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I am pretty sure only 25 were made.

Ah, maybe there was a typo between the year and the total number in my source then.

12 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Still, gives me yet another opportunity to kick myself for selling mine (pre-internet days so I had no idea it was so rare).

Ouch.

5 minutes ago, acidbass said:

I've read that somewhere between 25 and 35 were made, and 17 were exported to the UK originally.

At these prices soon to become like sunburst 59 Les Pauls "Gibson made around 1,500 sunburst Les Pauls between 1958 and 1960, but today, only 2,000 survive".

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, 3below said:

At these prices soon to become like sunburst 59 Les Pauls "Gibson made around 1,500 sunburst Les Pauls between 1958 and 1960, but today, only 2,000 survive".

Haha, I liked that.

There do seem to be a statistically unlikely number of 'bursts appearing, but what do I know. Did the Musicground lads get out of prison yet?

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Haha, I liked that.

There do seem to be a statistically unlikely number of 'bursts appearing, but what do I know. Did the Musicground lads get out of prison yet?

Never got in afaik.  At Leeds Crown Court (February 2012) both got suspended sentences.