Why become a member? ×

John Entwistle Slab 66 P on Reverb

acidbass

9 hours ago, 3below said:

At these prices soon to become like sunburst 59 Les Pauls "Gibson made around 1,500 sunburst Les Pauls between 1958 and 1960, but today, only 2,000 survive".

thanks to fifties goldtops being converted

The legendary status of these basses is due in part to John Entwistle saying that these basses had a raunchier, more growly sound than his regular P Basses at the time. And the fact that he played them during such a fertile era of The Who's musical development. 

I remember back in the mid-1980s Andy Rourke had one of these slabs when he was in The Smiths. I was chuffed because I had a Olympic White P Bass with a black pickguard at the time.

I've never played one of these basses but I have a hunch that if I did, it would sound like a Fender Precision Bass. I am also pretty sure that if John Entwistle played it, it would sound like John Entwistle used to with the Who back in the day, i.e amazing.

The prices of instruments like this is speculative, based on the notion that there are buyers who want to "own a piece of history". I personally just want to own a bass to play. Interesting to look at though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

The legendary status of these basses is due in part to John Entwistle saying that these basses had a raunchier, more growly sound than his regular P Basses at the time. And the fact that he played them during such a fertile era of The Who's musical development. 

I remember back in the mid-1980s Andy Rourke had one of these slabs when he was in The Smiths. I was chuffed because I had a Olympic White P Bass with a black pickguard at the time.

I've never played one of these basses but I have a hunch that if I did, it would sound like a Fender Precision Bass. I am also pretty sure that if John Entwistle played it, it would sound like John Entwistle used to with the Who back in the day, i.e amazing.

The prices of instruments like this is speculative, based on the notion that there are buyers who want to "own a piece of history". I personally just want to own a bass to play. Interesting to look at though.

I’d love to play one but I can’t stand The Who.