Why become a member? ×

Compact mixing desks - what are you using?

Al Krow

• 1 month later...

Just came across this desk - no idea what the quality is like, but it's pretty feature heavy e.g. 3 band EQ, hpf at 80Hz, FX, and XLR out. Independent volume control for both monitor and headphone. And all for a little over £100!

Could be an interesting option if you're on a budget or if you want a spare desk to have around for home use.

image.png.24ac66a422b4e0587f437f21c71f5ab1.png

Edited by Al Krow

30 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

That looks great. Weird monitoring setup… but hey. If that had multichannel record, that would be ridiculous - and I’d be all over it.

Worth mentioning the Soundcraft Sig MTK if multi-channel recording is a must have (and doesn't have quite such a weird monitoring set up). But you're then into the £300 to £600 price bracket...

But, yup, for around £100 the Debra is ridiculously well featured, and there are 4 and 8 channel versions for a little £less / £more.

image.thumb.png.3b63a7c05093066643699d6fa3526138.png

Now these look interesting - Allen and Heaths new line of CQ mixers.

"Allen & Heath has unveiled its new CQ series, a trio of compact digital mixers for musicians and bands, audio engineers, home producers, small venues, and AV installers, that places ease of use and speed of setup firmly at the heart of the user experience.
“CQ takes our renowned processing and effects, adds exciting new assistive mixing tools, and packages it all up into our smallest, and most affordable, digital mixer series yet,” says Keith Johnson, Product Manager at Allen & Heath. “Usually at this price point, users are forced to choose between a mid-range analogue mixer, lacking in modern features, or an entry-level digital mixer, where corners have inevitably been cut. With CQ there are no compromises. It’s a fully featured 96kHz mixer with stunning audio quality and intelligent tools that, regardless of your experience, lets you mix smarter, sound better and work faster. Just add sound!”
Built around an innovative new 96kHz processing engine, the series comprises the CQ-12T and CQ-18T desktop mixers featuring tactile controls and a seven-inch multi-touch screen, and the portable CQ-20B stage box mixer, all controllable via the companion CQ apps.
The processing engine, utilising Allen & Heath’s FPGA technology, brings numerous time-saving tools to the CQ to speed up and simplify common tasks for users of all abilities. Gain Assistant automatically sets preamp gain to the optimal level and monitors and adjusts for any unexpected peaks in the signal. Feedback Assistant identifies and filters out problem frequencies across all outputs via simple one-button operation, with more in-depth control available for challenging acoustical environments.
Input channels can be switched between a Quick Input, giving users a source-specific set of controls with single knob control of channel processing, or a Complete Input for full control of all channel processing parameters. Additionally, an Automatic Mic Mixer (AMM) is present on all input channels, instantly improving clarity and reducing background noise in speech-based applications.
The CQ range also introduces a new suite of high-quality, user-friendly reverb, delay and modulation algorithms with instrument-specific presets for speedy setup, while the FX Assist tool shapes the FX by dynamically responding to the input signal for optimal clarity. The CQ-18T and CQ-20B offer 4 FX engines and the CQ-12T features 2 FX engines.
All three CQ mixers benefit from flexible recording and playback options including a multichannel USB audio interface, multitrack SD card playback and recording, simple stereo recording and playback via an external USB drive, plus convenient stereo Bluetooth playback.
The CQ series is supported by a pair of free multi-platform apps. The CQ-MixPad app enables remote control of the mixer from anywhere in the venue, while the CQ4You app empowers performers to take control of their personal monitor mix via their mobile devices. The CQ-18T and CQ-20B also benefit from integrated high-performance dual-band Wi-Fi for quick and easy connection of control apps without any additional network equipment.
The CQ-18T provides 16 mic/line inputs and 1 stereo input, the smaller CQ-12T includes 10 mic/line inputs and 1 stereo input, and the stage-friendly CQ-20B offers 16 mic/line inputs, two of which can be used as Hi-Z instrument inputs, and 2 stereo inputs. All three models feature 6 independent outputs which can be configured to run up to 3 stereo outputs."

Yum. If pricing is right, these look spot on.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

They look quite good. It seems like this will be the successor to the QU series, with the SQ being the next step up. 

This is to go after the touchmix, ui, xr, Mackie market. 96khz is great to see too. Will the XR18 become unseated as weekend warrior mixer of choice? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

This is to go after the touchmix, ui, xr, Mackie market. 96khz is great to see too. Will the XR18 become unseated as weekend warrior mixer of choice? 

A good question, it all depends on a number of things, firstly the price. Secondly the apps and finally bug maybe most important, the performance of the WiFi. I have not tried the Mackie but IMHO, the others cannot be used on the internal WiFi without an external router.

However I am intrigued/Interested. Can we ask you to Interogate our West Country cousins further? I wonder if they will be launched at Plasa next week

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Absolutely agree. I think if they get the CQ20-B pitched right price wise, it's a definite contender.

What I was alluding to, was them dropping off with the QU series (I'd think certainly the QU-SB would be up for the chop). They haven't released many software/firmware upgrades for a while, so I'm guessing they'll phase them out soon enough.

It's also good to see that the official app is going to be multi-platform and the bluetooth playback is definitely going to be useful for people who want to control their background music (or even play along to a track).

17 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

A good question, it all depends on a number of things, firstly the price. Secondly the apps and finally bug maybe most important, the performance of the WiFi. I have not tried the Mackie but IMHO, the others cannot be used on the internal WiFi without an external router.

However I am intrigued/Interested. Can we ask you to Interogate our West Country cousins further? I wonder if they will be launched at Plasa next week

I think it was scheduled for a Plasa announcement, but someone got a little "trigger happy" and released the info ahead of time.

I spent ages looking for a reasonably priced compact mixer with 10 mono channels or more & ended up with a Yamaha MG10xu. 
So far I’ve only used it at home, but it sounds pretty good & does what I need from it. 
I was trying to find one that does multi out over usb for recording, but couldn’t find anything in a small form.

IMG_7091.thumb.jpeg.73820403ed35b3325f53d9a201c55c4c.jpeg

• Like 1

£700 for CQ12T, £900 for CQ18T - that doesn't seem outrageous for the level of quality A&H are renowned for, plus the innovation and compact form factor these offer?

I suspect this is going to be on the radar for quite a lot of folk when they next think about upgrading their current kit!

I just had a quick play with the App. I bough a Soundcraft Ui some time ago as it uses a browser for control rather than an app but the fact that this has a screen is nice. There would be a learning curve to use the app but the power is outstanding. 

Having watched the whole video, I really think this is a game  changer. 

Gosh. The Anderton's guy is sooooo annoying. It's like I've been dragged into a transmission of QVC.

Great piece of kit, only thing that is a bit of a :( is the lack of connectivity to the ME personal monitors - which given that the XR18 has the ultranet, is a bit of a disappointment. But everything else, spot on I reckon.

• Like 2

I find Jack to be very irritating most of the time, and dont like the format he uses (give me a key Falcon etc)  but i do watch all his videos as i find it refreshing to hear an english voice, and can relate to some of things he says (especially the very jaded Social club comments).