Why become a member? ×

Just curious!?

nilorius

1 hour ago, nilorius said:

. . . .  there are plenty of weak, slow and smiling bassists around.

Thinking you are better is pointless. If those guys are getting the gigs and you are not, then they are doing something right and are doing something you can learn from.

17 minutes ago, nilorius said:

I cooperate with 3 money bands which sometimes need full set up and they had no problems with my playing - never before and after pandemia period. All of them are pros and know what they are doing. . . .

If you are working in "money bands", I guess that's function bands over here, then you are doing what's right for those guys. If you are trying to get into originals bands etc then that's a different set of skills. Seems like you haven't worked that out yet.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Competent players? What do You know about the start of that competent and professional band ? I think - nothing.

I'm starting to think that your playing style didn't have much to do with your rejection. :(

• Like 1

Playing bass doesn't call for being flash and doing awesome solos to impress, it's more about "providing a comfy armchair for the music to sit in"(I heard that quote from someone and thought it was apt). I agree that the issue here is about ego and not really understanding about what makes a cohesive band.

*I do play fretless sometimes when jamming to chord charts or playing in the dark, but only as a way to train my unruly ears.

Once I saw a gig where a local band had a stand in from the States: Jimmy Haslip. He played only right notes, nothing extra. Tight, functional notes.

After the set the band was applauded back to play an extra. Then the band gave Mr. Haslip a place to solo, and he played a nice one. Once more, he played the right notes throughout the song. Not all notes. Functional, really educating gig for me.

Marcus Miller's solo work is not my thing. But I really like his work as a sideman. He plays very tight stuff, all notes serve the songs.

• Like 2

I seem to recall @niloriusyou were kicked off another forum for trolling and rudeness, maybe it’s a language barrier thing. 
There are some extremely talented and experienced people on here that you’ve asked for advice. 
Don’t then ignore it and start insulting them when you don’t get the reaction you wanted. 
Everyone here has probably had rejections or disappointments over the years it’s part of the process you need to go through to improve and learn. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

I think it very much depends on the band, and also how versatile you are on fretless.

Some bands have members that have rigid visions and if you show up with anything but a P bass, you will never be in the band.

I have numerous basses they all make the overhyped p/bass sound like a toy. Whatch the inciming and duck cwak cwak

9 hours ago, nilorius said:

Last every time my time were fine, i tried to play more like fretted, no vibrato or sliding, played only precise lines. I think most people just don't know how fretless can be usefull because they even don't know what it is.

I do slurs and vibrato with frets and hamner ons and pull offs. Been doing them since before they were invented apparently but I am not classes as good in my eyes or ears as the case may be. Even did tapping before it was invented. I called it bouncing the octave and moved on from there. Cutting the end off of my fretting index finger sorted all that out for a few years. Do you have a fretted bass? Go and use it. If it's not the bass it might be you.

To my ears you are not fluent enough on a fretless and yes before the evil finger issue I did play fretless and freted as it suited me.

7 hours ago, nilorius said:

Thanks. Last time with drummer was that he was playing all the way the same at the same agresive level which didn't match the band style. Others didn't care, but i told him to maybe level down a bit. He didn't listen. Tho i had to find a way to addopt and i did, but then he told me that i was too louad, i turned a bit down, but started to not here a bit what i was playing. Rythm acoustic guitar was unhearable also. But the drummer kept his agressive one type groove in all songs we tried out. Later i told the band leader- vocal, rythm guitarist about it, but it seemead he didn't care. Finally - they said they will cooperate with different bassist.

Sorry didn't se this earlier. So you walked through to door and tried to take over? Your sound clips don't inspire me to believe you are qualifued for that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, nilorius said:

Yeah, once the situation was ruthm guiter/vocal, drum and me bass. The songs sound so cosy and i just thought why not to play just more advanced grooves and it sounded good, because drummer was bad and rythm guitarist just played cords. I don't see any point why i could not i have little bit of power in this situation. Otherwise - this will not be wourth anything at all.

If they were as bad as you say, like worse than school children why are you upset they didn't take you on?

5 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Hopefully, Transport for London will start some immediate, mass strikes.

:D

Introspection doesn't appear to be a fashionable or desirable quality in some of the old Eastern bloc/EU accession countries. There's a bloke who goes to a jam session I attend occasionally. He's very extraverted and hail-fellow-well-met and tells everyone he's "one of the best drummers in Lithuania". He's beyond terrible. His playing is reminiscent of a man in a wheelchair falling down a set of metal stairs.

Everyone dreads being called up to play with him. He sits there, happily bashing away and playing the clown (he has been known to wear one of those silly hats with a propeller on top of it, which he spins on occasion) and pulling daft faces. If you ask him gently to tone it down a bit, he looks mystified. He seems genuinely to believe he's the dog's danglies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3