Why become a member? ×

Quantity VS Quality

Bluewine

Fewer, better gigs for me every time. I'm not against the occasional badly paid pub gig if its a good laugh, decent band etc.

But 30ish gigs a year is plenty for me while juggling a full-time job and family, so I've no desperate need to add in bad gigs on top of that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

Maybe depends on whether music is a hobby or if it’s the job that puts food on the table.

Most would go for option 2, given the choice I’d suppose.

For me, it’s definitely option 2.

For me, when I was still working a traditional full time job gig money was extra cash to play with.

When I retired gig money became a real and necessary income supplement.

In someways I'll say quality is coming home from a showcase 60 minute gig with $450.00 in my pocket as opposed to $100.00 from a 4 hour pub gig.

Blue

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

Maybe depends on whether music is a hobby or if it’s the job that puts food on the table.

Most would go for option 2, given the choice I’d suppose.

For me, it’s definitely option 2.

For me, when I was still working a traditional full time job gig money was extra cash to play with.

When I retired gig money became a real and necessary income supplement.

In someways I'll say quality is coming home from a showcase 60 minute gig with $450.00 in my pocket as opposed to $100.00 from a 4 hour pub gig.

Blue

Sadly, to get to option 2 and be able to cherry pick those gigs you invariably have to go through option 1, gig your backside off and get a name for yourself.

Retribution kinda of go for option ref 1.5 where you play 14-18 gigs per year, hopefully some of the better venues but we're not flogging ourselves to death!  We all have other interests, partners/families etc so gigging twice a week every week just isn't an option

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bluewine said:

For me at 69 years young and been in the gigging game since age 12, classy gigs with premium pay upscale patrons with money is where I'm at. 30 years ago I'd play anywhere. Lol

Blue

I don't think I could enjoy playing nasty, dirty grunge to nice people drinking pimms in a posh hall 

50 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I don't know about playing, but I think I'd enjoy watching that. 😆

We had a stoner metal band play our wedding party. That was quite amusing, they came on and ripped in to an energetic cover of Mexicola by Queens Of the Stone Age. There were some shocked looking elderly relatives but we had a great time! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

Sadly, to get to option 2 and be able to cherry pick those gigs you invariably have to go through option 1, gig your backside off and get a name for yourself.

And ain't that the truth?

These days I am increasingly playing in one successful band (the rock'n'roll outfit, which could easily play a hundred gigs a year if there were enough weekends) and a bunch of side projects which maybe play a couple of dozen gigs between them. The side projects will take what gigs they can get, and in most cases "how much are we getting?" is the last question anyone asks. 

Meanwhile, the talent around which the rock'n'roll band is built has daddy/daughter issues and needs to spend more Saturdays with her next year. No problem. I've put our rates up by roughly 20%. Having been a Finance Director for most of my career has its uses, such as knowing about Price Inelasticity Of Demand. Yes, you read that right.

If demand for your product (in this case, a band) is very strong, then demand will go down by less than you put the rates up. Translation: Put your price (gig fee) up by 20% and demand (number of bookings) goes down by 10%, for example.

What does that look like in the real world? If a band plays 20 gigs in 2022 and charges £300 for each gig, then they generate 20 x £300 = £6000 in revenue. If the same band charges £360 for each gig in 2023 and loses 10% of its bookings as a result (two gigs), then they generate 18 x £360 = £6480 in revenue. They do 10% fewer gigs but earn 8% more money overall. And that, ladies and gentlemen, I see as a Win/Win. 😎

• Like 5

two gigs a month is ideal for me. I'm more interested in the difficulty of travel / parking / get in as I find most pubs (where we do pretty much all our work) are much of a muchness. That said, our gig last Sunday was at one of the loveliest pubs in Kent with the worst travel & parking I've encountered.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

What if they really enjoy listening to grunge and the experience your band brings ?

Blue

It would depend on their reaction. If they sit an listen and give a polite clap at the end of each song then that wouldn't be in the spirit of our music. If they'll get up and have a mosh then maybe we could all have a good time. 

• Like 1

On the face of it, 2 quality gigs per month would be my choice. But thinking about it for a while, some of the best gigs (the ones I've enjoyed and the ones that have gone down best) have been at the lower end of the venue spectrum. I've done the 100+ gigs per year thing and it was valuable for learning the practical side of being in a band and made me a better bassist but it also resulted in many of those gigs being played with less enthusiasm from the band than perhaps the audience deserved. I stopped for a while as I found myself turning up to a gig prepared to 'wing it' rather than having learnt the songs properly (particularly true of the duo gigs I played) and I didn't like it. 

In the last few years (2020 aside) I've been fortunate enough to play with two bands that have been getting decent gigs. One organises their own festivals, charity gigs and Christmas gigs that are always well attended. The other uses an agent to get some good work. I would say that on average since 2018 I've played 15-20 gigs per year between the two bands and that, to me, is comfortable.

• Like 1

On 16/08/2022 at 12:53, Happy Jack said:

And ain't that the truth?

These days I am increasingly playing in one successful band (the rock'n'roll outfit, which could easily play a hundred gigs a year if there were enough weekends) and a bunch of side projects which maybe play a couple of dozen gigs between them. The side projects will take what gigs they can get, and in most cases "how much are we getting?" is the last question anyone asks. 

Meanwhile, the talent around which the rock'n'roll band is built has daddy/daughter issues and needs to spend more Saturdays with her next year. No problem. I've put our rates up by roughly 20%. Having been a Finance Director for most of my career has its uses, such as knowing about Price Inelasticity Of Demand. Yes, you read that right.

If demand for your product (in this case, a band) is very strong, then demand will go down by less than you put the rates up. Translation: Put your price (gig fee) up by 20% and demand (number of bookings) goes down by 10%, for example.

What does that look like in the real world? If a band plays 20 gigs in 2022 and charges £300 for each gig, then they generate 20 x £300 = £6000 in revenue. If the same band charges £360 for each gig in 2023 and loses 10% of its bookings as a result (two gigs), then they generate 18 x £360 = £6480 in revenue. They do 10% fewer gigs but earn 8% more money overall. And that, ladies and gentlemen, I see as a Win/Win. 😎

Agreed 👍

Blue

23 hours ago, NHM said:

two gigs a month is ideal for me. I'm more interested in the difficulty of travel / parking / get in as I find most pubs (where we do pretty much all our work) are much of a muchness. That said, our gig last Sunday was at one of the loveliest pubs in Kent with the worst travel & parking I've encountered.

Travel became an issue for me. I was getting lost on the way to gigs and almost got into an accident one night. Our band leader found out about it and ever since they pick me up in the Maple Road van . So , I haven't had to drive to a gig in over 6 months.

And this does play into " Quality". Not having to drive is really nice.

Most of you know my band mates are half my age.

Blue

IMG_20220805_204344.jpg

• Like 1

Guys, I think you'll find with us seniors hours also play into quality. Most of us older guys don't want late night long hour gigs anymore. Fortunately I live in the Midwest 🇺🇸 where festivals and fairs are huge and present allot of opportunity for bands and most are early hour gigs and you're home by 8:00.

I'll start another thread on tbe new Winery and Brewery market. These are the new quality gigs.

Blue

9 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Twice a month well paid fed and watered would be wonderful. Where do I sign up?

Depends on where you live and what opportunities there are for live music 

Plus having a band mate or agency that really understands booking.

Blue

I prioritise the quality gigs and fill some of the remaining slots with, er, not-so-quality gigs. At a recent pub gig in one of the less desirable areas of Bristol, a rat appeared stage left and ran the length of the bar before disappearing into a cupboard.

Will I play there again? Of course I will!

• Haha 1