Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Vintage

wateroftyne

[quote name='MythSte' post='605134' date='Sep 21 2009, 11:02 PM']True! But we are comparing the same cabs, Are there any parts of the sound that the Compact had that was definately a part of the schroeders sound and nothing else?[/quote]
Well we were comparing different models of the same brand, so it wouldn't tell the whole story anyway. All I can say about the Schroeder is that it seemed more 'audible'. The Compact has much more rounded mids. More natural sounding. Infact, dare I say it, the thing I like about the Schroeder is how 'ugly' it sounds. The Compact was anything but ugly sounding. There is something about the Schroeders which actually sounds very brutish, while the Compact was more refined in comparison. That brutishness is probably what I was referring to in reference to 'punch'. Both of them sound great in their own ways. I plan to replace one of my cabs with a Barefaced one soon :)

Edited by Finbar

[quote name='MythSte' post='605026' date='Sep 21 2009, 09:36 PM']Right, First impressions;

I genuinly think these things are changing the definition of "light" to bass players. For a long time, Light meant 2 twenty year olds could lift it up stairs without putting a disc out. But this really is a different kind of light. I managed two flights of stairs, on my own, without breaking a sweat. [i]This is a 2x15 ffs![/i].

Anyway, once in my room and plugged in (using a crappy speakon lead at the moment i might add, My OBBM lead should be here in a few days if the posties feel like it) There was a very big surprise at first. You can tell straight away its a full range cab without a tweeter - While this sounds like a criticism, Its a really solid base to build your tone off, and it reacts to EQ'ing very well. I only needed to scoop a touch off 300hz and roll the treble back a touch to be exactly where i wanted to be. Which is a vintage tone with a slight bit of growl over the top. Lovely.

When i spoke to Alex i told him that i really like having a vintage tone, but with a modern presence. and thats when he suggested the vintage to me. I'm gigging and providing backline for the support tomorrow, So i'll be able to tell you what it sounds like both sides of the barrier. But for now, I'd say im satisfied. Whats also interesting (and im sorry to bound some non-technical terms around again) but i find this has the same "punch in the stomach" responsivness-oomph that i've only ever had before with schroeders, that inherent begging from it to be pushed harder. This is interesting as Chris (Finbar) a dedicated schroeder user said this was what was missing when he tried the compact. an you shed any light on this Alex? or is it just that he has better ears than me! :)

I'll come back tomorrow with more conclusive results. But for now pictures are over in the "show us your rig" section.

Lovely![/quote]
Good review and pretty much what i have found as well. I'll tell you what, you'll love it standing in the audience! I did a gig about a month back with no PA support for the bass, one bass player turned everything up to 10 and the place was literally shaking with the amount of bass goodness, and the cab survived! Cracking bit of gear and my favourite amplificatory purchase ever, probably :rolleyes:

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='604350' date='Sep 21 2009, 11:05 AM']I did another gig with Bottomendian's on Sunday night with Bottomendian and Howard The Bass Doc in attendance.

Unfortunately, the set-up meant my fat arse was stationed right in front of - and almost on top of - the cab, so the folks out front missed a bit of clarity. Apparently it sounded fine and dandy when I managed to move out of the way...

I should go on a diet.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how I feel when I go back to the Bergs...[/quote]
I'll point out as well that the room was long, low-ceilinged and boomy, so really not ideal testing grounds, but the Vintage still performed admirably. With the Jazz (mmmm, the Jazz...), there was plenty o' clarity, and lots of bark and growl from the bridge pickup. When the Precision came out, it went a bit... woofy, but when Michael shifted his rear out of the way, suddenly all this grunt came piling through.

What I really love about this cab is the fact that you can just keep adding top-end on your EQ, and it never gets clanky -- it just adds clarity. When you don't have an arse between the cab and your ears, that is. :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='605738' date='Sep 22 2009, 04:08 PM']heh! Im looking forward to putting mine through her paces tonight. I've named her Sharnika. And if your not casually racist enough to work out why then im not telling you...[/quote]
I think there are some better names in this:

How did Sharnika turn out?

LOL! Tut.

Anyway, Here's Stephens official Barefaced Vintage gig review;

First things first, There was such a satisfaction watching both guitarists struggle with their Vox 2x12's whilst you casually hoist a 2x15 to where you want it on stage and slap a Shuttle on top. A moment of bewilderment came between them, They sort of looked at me, Looked back at each other, then looked again. Lovely.

Secondly, It doesnt half look the Bo-Dangleys. Under stage lights that silver grill cloth really does look oh so vintage. I should have taken a picture actually. Next time! The Shuttle looks a bit silly on top, but i've come to find it quite charming, and it doesnt detract from those gaping ports at the bottom.

First things first, Our soundcheck. This is the first time i've used both the shuttle and the barefaced at all with the band, So i was a little worried, I'd got a beatiful tone at home with it but more often than not that tone never works in a gigging situation. However, I had a bit of a revelation! You know that lovely scooped tone? The one with loads of bottom? Really buttery mids and just a light growl on top? The on that gets completly lost in EVERY mix but sounds oh so lovely on its own? It worked in a band!!! I dont know how or why, I'm inclined to believe it has something to do with wattage distribution over the sonic spectrum or something(?) but the barefaced and shuttle just took that tone, made it louder (Lots louder!) and bought a massive bassy smile to my face. This means i didnt need loads of mids to be heard on stage, and also gave my guitarists loads of room. Lovely!

On the other side of the barrier the other band where really rather good. An indie troupe who's bassist used an ibanez with a Pick, not what i'd have chosen but each to there own! Anyway, I told him he was free to change the EQ as he liked and whatnot - To which he replied he really didnt know much about these things and left it as i had set it. And boom, There it was again, More growl due to the pick and a bit more bass but it was just massive lovely tone that didnt get in the way of the guitars but was still very audible.

All in all, Happy days!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='606727' date='Sep 23 2009, 03:21 PM']Another experience of Fender Jazz + Vintage = :)

Just out of interest, what was your previous amp rig?[/quote]

Haha, now theres a question! Right...

from least to most recent (some overlaps)

Warwick pro fet 3.2 + warwick 410 pro
Eden Nemesis NC810
Hartke 2200 + ashdown mag300 + DHA studio pre
Gallien Krueger 1001RBII + Warwick Neo 12 and 15
GK 1001RBII + Schroeder 1212R
Little Mark 2 + schroeder 1212R
Trace Elliot V4 115 combo

I really loved the V4 but it just didnt deliver the goods at volume and weighed over well over 100lbs!

• 3 weeks later...

Whats the deal with the port plugs? Another local bass player is after adding some bottom to his mostly guitar cab rig, trying to sell him one of these (getting a few in Bristol to enter the second hand market when I'm flush is the plan). Thinking sealed cab style response is his bag.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='625651' date='Oct 14 2009, 12:26 AM']Whats the deal with the port plugs?[/quote]

They lower the tuning frequency, thus making the response less fat in the lows. (They're also currently vapourware but that should be rectified in the next week or two...)

Alex

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='625879' date='Oct 14 2009, 12:06 PM']To tighten up a tube head with a geet big fat low end?[/quote]

Exactly. Or if the stage sound is getting too boomy due to backwash from FOH subs.

Mr Shockwave, if you want maximum bottom and perceived depth you leave it in standard tuning - lowering the tuning gets you less bottom where it counts. (Yes, it is counter-intuitive).

Alex