Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Vintage

wateroftyne

Morning all!

Bottomendian has VERY kindly lent me his Vintage for the weekend. :)

I've got two gigs, the first of which was last night.. pub gig, medium volume, no PA support. Perfect testing ground...

I've already seen the cab so, physically speaking, I knew what to expect but it still blew me away whenever I needed to move it. The looks from folks who saw it, expecting Fender 2x15 weight, were priceless. And of course, it's one of the coolest looking cabs out there.

It's the first time I've heard one of these cabs 'in anger', and it knocked me out. It's has a naturally fat, rich tone to it... when I pushed the treble on my amp (to levels I wouldn't dream of with the Bergs), the tone just got richer and growlier, with no harshness whatsoever. I backed the bottom-end off compared to the Bergs, and the notes were thick and... 'real'.

I switched to my fretless P, which - with flats - is notoriously easy to get lost in the mix, and it was a revelation. Because the 15" are full range, I got all the clarity I needed without the clatter or sizzle. It meant I could push it up without it becoming intrusive in the mix. Very URB-y. Hopefully it comes across in the clip below.

The cab is incredibly sensitive.. my amp was barely working up a sweat. It was all just.. effortless.

When I watched the clips back this morning, it sounds like there's even more clarity out front, which I'd expect. And that's with flats!

Can I see one of these cabs in my future? At the minute, a definite 'yes'. The Bergs are astonishing cabs, too. Just.. different. And modular, which I like. The Big One, with the smaller driver, is an interesting prospect too.

I'd like to try it with my P - I might use it at tonight's gig. Then again, I'm having a lot of fun with the J at the minute...

Oh, and our lady singer thought it looked cool and now wants a pair of hotpants made with Fender grillecloth. :rolleyes:

Anyway, here's a video clip. I've got new-ish flats on both basses. The J has the neck pup backed off slightly and the bridge full on. Fretted first, then a couple of bits of fretless. Please forgive the ropey performances... the drummer was a dep I'd never played with before. He did just fine, but we were all a little tentative, and it shows!

[quote name='MythSte' post='602782' date='Sep 19 2009, 11:04 AM']Im so glad you posted that WoT, Its subdued my wonderment somewhat! The tone you get with your jazz is pretty much what im aiming for - deep and rich, with just a hint of a snarly overtone. Lovely. 2 daysss![/quote]
No problem! If you play with rounds, expect the growl to multiply by a factor of approximately 1,000...!

Listening on my work laptop speakers (which seem to have a brick-wall low cut below about 500Hz :rolleyes: ), I can really hear that fretless growl coming out -- cuts through like a cutty thing. And did the band notice the change from fretted to fretless? You can't miss it, to my ears.

Can't wait to hear this tonight -- I don't often get the opportunity to hear my gear being played by someone else. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='602797' date='Sep 19 2009, 11:23 AM']Yep... Two-month old La Bellas!

See you later, Owain![/quote]

I was going to change my strings tonight as theyre sounding a bit wet for me at the moment, but im going to hold out till monday now then!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='602760' date='Sep 19 2009, 11:36 AM']Anyway, here's a video clip. I've got new-ish flats on both basses. The J has the neck pup backed off slightly and the bridge full on. Fretted first, then a couple of bits of fretless. Please forgive the ropey performances... the drummer was a dep I'd never played with before. He did just fine, but we were all a little tentative, and it shows![/quote]

Thumbs up for playing some Steely Dan :)
Btw, the fretless sounds awesome through the Vintage.

[quote name='MythSte' post='602782' date='Sep 19 2009, 11:04 AM']Im so glad you posted that WoT, Its subdued my wonderment somewhat! The tone you get with your jazz is pretty much what im aiming for - deep and rich, with just a hint of a snarly overtone. Lovely. 2 daysss![/quote]
Oh you are going to be so happy! I reckon we go for similar sounding rigs, knowing what you've had in the past. The Vintage is the dog's danglies, hell yes.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='603574' date='Sep 20 2009, 01:55 PM']This I'm interested in, because I'm thinking about a Shuttle 6.0. Keep us informed... as if you wouldn't![/quote]

Hehe! Yeah its the shuttle 6 i have at the moment. I've only been driving headphones with it so its a very poor time for me to say "im not 100%" but i'll let you know how i get on tomorrow! I've just realised i dont have a sodding speakon lead so im going to have to go to maplins and make one up. eugh.

I did another gig with Bottomendian's on Sunday night with Bottomendian and Howard The Bass Doc in attendance.

Unfortunately, the set-up meant my fat arse was stationed right in front of - and almost on top of - the cab, so the folks out front missed a bit of clarity. Apparently it sounded fine and dandy when I managed to move out of the way...

I should go on a diet.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how I feel when I go back to the Bergs...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='604350' date='Sep 21 2009, 11:05 AM']I did another gig with Bottomendian's on Sunday night with Bottomendian and Howard The Bass Doc in attendance.

Unfortunately, the set-up meant my fat arse was stationed right in front of - and almost on top of - the cab, so the folks out front missed a bit of clarity. Apparently it sounded fine and dandy when I managed to move out of the way...

I should go on a diet.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how I feel when I go back to the Bergs...[/quote]

I just saw a recording booth lined with arses! hehe.

Right, First impressions;

I genuinly think these things are changing the definition of "light" to bass players. For a long time, Light meant 2 twenty year olds could lift it up stairs without putting a disc out. But this really is a different kind of light. I managed two flights of stairs, on my own, without breaking a sweat. [i]This is a 2x15 ffs![/i].

Anyway, once in my room and plugged in (using a crappy speakon lead at the moment i might add, My OBBM lead should be here in a few days if the posties feel like it) There was a very big surprise at first. You can tell straight away its a full range cab without a tweeter - While this sounds like a criticism, Its a really solid base to build your tone off, and it reacts to EQ'ing very well. I only needed to scoop a touch off 300hz and roll the treble back a touch to be exactly where i wanted to be. Which is a vintage tone with a slight bit of growl over the top. Lovely.

When i spoke to Alex i told him that i really like having a vintage tone, but with a modern presence. and thats when he suggested the vintage to me. I'm gigging and providing backline for the support tomorrow, So i'll be able to tell you what it sounds like both sides of the barrier. But for now, I'd say im satisfied. Whats also interesting (and im sorry to bound some non-technical terms around again) but i find this has the same "punch in the stomach" responsivness-oomph that i've only ever had before with schroeders, that inherent begging from it to be pushed harder. This is interesting as Chris (Finbar) a dedicated schroeder user said this was what was missing when he tried the compact. an you shed any light on this Alex? or is it just that he has better ears than me! :)

I'll come back tomorrow with more conclusive results. But for now pictures are over in the "show us your rig" section.

Lovely!

[quote name='MythSte' post='605026' date='Sep 21 2009, 09:36 PM']This is interesting as Chris (Finbar) a dedicated schroeder user said this was what was missing when he tried the compact.[/quote]
As you say, with these non-technical terms, we could be talking about an entirely different completely subjective sound, but using the same word to describe it! :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='605123' date='Sep 21 2009, 10:54 PM']As you say, with these non-technical terms, we could be talking about an entirely different completely subjective sound, but using the same word to describe it! :)[/quote]

True! But we are comparing the same cabs, Are there any parts of the sound that the Compact had that was definately a part of the schroeders sound and nothing else?