Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Vintage

wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='337572' date='Nov 26 2008, 06:54 PM'][url="http://www.barefacedbass.com/thevintage.html"]This looks darned interesting, Alex...[/url]

Hurry up and build it![/quote]
That's only coz I said I'd buy two of them... :)

• 2 months later...

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='414382' date='Feb 19 2009, 03:37 PM']It'll be far too much fun with valve amps to not make it available!

Aaaargghhh! Gutted I can't make it over to the bash, and I'm only 30 miles away. Is it actually going to be ready for 1st March? ;)[/quote]

No, it's coming as in going to stay part of the line-up, whilst I think I might completely drop the 2x12" cabs - why use two twelves when you can use one fifteen and save weight and cost? It isn't going to be at the NE Bass Bash though!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='414405' date='Feb 19 2009, 03:49 PM']No, it's coming as in going to stay part of the line-up, whilst I think I might completely drop the 2x12" cabs - why use two twelves when you can use one fifteen and save weight and cost? It isn't going to be at the NE Bass Bash though![/quote]
Ah, I'm with you now. I almost had a special moment in my pants.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='414387' date='Feb 19 2009, 03:39 PM']Hmmm! Have I used a colloquialism unheard of out of the NE? To 'tap' someone = to politely make a request or to ask a favour of.[/quote]
I understood you perfectly, but I'm a fellow NE-er (although I live 20 metres [i]south[/i] of the Tyne...). I think the vast majority of the denizens of the interwebs would understand "I've already tapped Alex" to mean that you had... (how can I put this politely and delicately?) ...ploughed him.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='414423' date='Feb 19 2009, 03:57 PM']To clarify; I did ask Alex if there might have been a cab or two available for attendees of the NE bash to try but Alex is trying his best to complete orders for people asap so it would be unrealistic to expect him to drop paid work to let a few greedy Geordies paw over his cabs. ;)[/quote]
Well, the first Vintage off the production line is destined for my greasy paws, so the next time there's a NE bash after this one, I'll do my best to make it available to those who still haven't experienced Barefaced by then. Let's spread the love.

But not too much, eh warwick? :P

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='462455' date='Apr 14 2009, 08:23 PM']If you made the vintage a couple of inches deeper, would it make it go lower, or would it just toally mess up the port tuning? And as a small run builder, is that the sort of shenanigans that are possible?[/quote]

Because of these drivers' characteristics it doesn't really give you enough extra bottom to be worth the effort. Even increasing the enclosure size by 50% only lowers F6 by 5Hz. Simply turning up your bass EQ by 3dB will get you that extra extension without carrying an oversized cab (and with the Vintage's sensitivity you can afford to add some bottom without running out of power).

Alex

[quote name='umph' post='468912' date='Apr 21 2009, 06:42 PM']any chance i'd be able to a/b one of these against my matamp?[/quote]

The first one will be going to the far North-East so if you're up around there at any point there may be an opportunity! I'd be very curious to find how they differ.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='469240' date='Apr 22 2009, 07:34 AM']The first one will be going to the far North-East so if you're up around there at any point there may be an opportunity! I'd be very curious to find how they differ.

Alex[/quote]
me to since the matamp isn't anything fancy design wise its essentially two high powered speakers in a well made box. i'd love to see what kind of frequency response it gives though

[quote name='umph' post='469596' date='Apr 22 2009, 01:49 PM']me to since the matamp isn't anything fancy design wise its essentially two high powered speakers in a well made box. i'd love to see what kind of frequency response it gives though[/quote]

Do you know what speakers Matamp use in their 2x15"?

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='469723' date='Apr 22 2009, 04:34 PM']Do you know what speakers Matamp use in their 2x15"?

Alex[/quote]
i'm not 100% sure but i think it might be these [url="http://professional.celestion.com/bass/pdf/BL15-400X8.pdf"]http://professional.celestion.com/bass/pdf/BL15-400X8.pdf[/url] i know there 8 ohm celestions around 450watts a piece and there definatly not neo ones

In that case with the EQ flat and equal power into either I'd expect the Vintage to be louder through the mids and brighter on top. If the Matamp is sealed I'd expect the Vintage to have quite similar bottom (slightly bigger in standard tuning, slightly leaner with first lowered tuning) but it'll be about 2dB louder across the board. If the Matamp is ported it'll match the Vintage for sensitivity in the lows but will still be about 2dB quieter through the mids and highs so it'll sound a bit fatter.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='469240' date='Apr 22 2009, 07:34 AM']The first one will be going to the far North-East so if you're up around there at any point there may be an opportunity! I'd be very curious to find how they differ.[/quote]
The far North-East? I'm only level with Newcastle! Surely the far North-East would be Aberdeen? Mind you, to me everything below Leeds is "The South". :)

Anyhow, yeah, the first Vintage will be mine (when it's finally finished!), and if people want to try it out, I'd be happy to try to sort out meet-ups with it. I'm sure I'll be posting here with first impressions when it makes its way into my grubby paws.