Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Vintage

wateroftyne

[quote name='steve-soar' post='550237' date='Jul 24 2009, 02:40 PM']Have any of you boys tried the Vintage with a big valve head?[/quote]

jonthebass is using a pair of Compacts with a Mesa 400+.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='550237' date='Jul 24 2009, 02:40 PM']I'd be worried about the cloth, as drum hardware has a nasty habit of going in unwanted places when your packing down on stage.[/quote]

I doubt drum hardware could pierce it, but I shall have a go at throwing some cymbal stands at a cab one of these days.

Alex

Forgot about Johnthebass' mighty stack.
Just musing about how my SVT-IIP/QSC PLX 3102 would sound into a Vintage, mmmmm.
Did I just say that out loud, oh no, here comes Claber to tell me it's going to sound better than my Tech Soundsystems 6x10, then I'll have to buy one and sell the Tech, oh the hassle of it all.

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='alexclaber' post='550249' date='Jul 24 2009, 02:48 PM']I doubt drum hardware could pierce it, but I shall have a go at throwing some cymbal stands at a cab one of these days.

Alex[/quote]
Our drummer tried that on Saturday and failed, a slightly dented badge is all. Even so, I've stuck some 20mm acoustically transparent foam behind the grille to add an extra bit of protection. As Alex said to me, it probably won't stop something which pierces the grille but it'll stop it being deflected as much and give me a slight reassurance....

Alex, I'm thinking of getting an SVT 2 Pro and was wondering about the sound a vintage would give me. Would 2 Compacts give me more nastyness than a Vintage? Only problem with Compacts would be using one at 8 ohms would give the SVT problems, so I've probably just answered that one myself. Doh!
Steve.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='551111' date='Jul 25 2009, 02:17 PM']Alex, I'm thinking of getting an SVT 2 Pro and was wondering about the sound a vintage would give me. Would 2 Compacts give me more nastyness than a Vintage?[/quote]

They should sound almost identical, certainly so close you couldn't tell the difference on a gig.

Alex

[quote name='steve-soar' post='551111' date='Jul 25 2009, 02:17 PM']Alex, I'm thinking of getting an SVT 2 Pro and was wondering about the sound a vintage would give me. Would 2 Compacts give me more nastyness than a Vintage? Only problem with Compacts would be using one at 8 ohms would give the SVT problems, so I've probably just answered that one myself. Doh!
Steve.[/quote]
And remember that (if my weighing's right) a Vintage is lighter than 2 Compacts. Oh, and it looks cooler. :)

Join The Vintage Revolution™

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='jonthebass' post='566649' date='Aug 12 2009, 11:57 AM']How about a cab with 2 x 3015LF's and 1 or 2 Midrange speakers in, a kind of Double Big One, Possible?[/quote]

It would just be SO big! And total overkill for almost anyone. However I have considered a cab with 2 x 3012LFs plus mid and optional tweeter in a Vintage sized/shape box - the size is just right. I really need to find someone who actually reaches the limit of the Big One on a gig though, it seems we're a long way from that happening with current users. Looking forward to Dood's test-run!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='566665' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:10 PM']It would just be SO big! And total overkill for almost anyone. However I have considered a cab with 2 x 3012LFs plus mid and optional tweeter in a Vintage sized/shape box - the size is just right. I really need to find someone who actually reaches the limit of the Big One on a gig though, it seems we're a long way from that happening with current users. Looking forward to Dood's test-run!

Alex[/quote]

I think, as I elluded to in my other messages - on experience I've never been able to move enough air from just one essentially small cabinet - I can think of only one situtation when I used to gig with a single 4x10 - and that was because the onstage volume was so low. - If I am going to be on a large venue stage, (not the local fox n hounds / leisure centre type gig) then I want to ensure that I can move enough air to be heard with a good full sound (to over simplify) - it's one thing to be loud - but to actually move enough air to sound good too.

There's also benefit to having stacking cabs or having a taller cabinet - Making use of floor coupling and getting the cones closer to my ears at the same time - hence my interest in hearing a 'Big One' cabinet in a 2x15 form factor - or a pair of the standard cabinets.

I used to play very loud and I like a lot of bottom in my sound and it took a 2000W two Low-B2 rig to achieve that. With 2000W into it the Big One goes even louder and has more bottom where it really counts. Like you say, it's all about moving air! Have you noticed the size of the port on the Big One? There's a very good reason for that and it's not because it looks impressive.

Alex

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='567876' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:44 PM']hmmm, what difference in sound is there between a Big One and a Vintage?...[/quote]

Big One has deeper lows, more aggressive mids and much more treble. Vintage is rounder and sweeter sounding, Big One has more grrrr and thunder.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='567976' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:13 PM']Big One has deeper lows, more aggressive mids and much more treble. Vintage is rounder and sweeter sounding, Big One has more grrrr and thunder.

Alex[/quote]

hmmm, interesting....(said with a pondering look while stroking my beard in a contemplating manner - theres no smiley for that)

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='568144' date='Aug 13 2009, 04:39 PM']hmmm, interesting....(said with a pondering look while stroking my beard in a contemplating manner - theres no smiley for that)[/quote]

Also if you have enough power and EQ you can make the Big One sound very much like the Vintage (or in fact many other bass cabs) but you can't do the reverse.

Alex

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='568516' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:14 PM']Look what Bottomendian, Warwickhunt, The Bass Doc & I did tonight...

:)

More info soon, along with YouTube clips and that...[/quote]

Wow

I need to get to a bass bash soon.

I still cant stop looking at the Aguilars and Bergs....