Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Vintage

wateroftyne

[quote name='alexclaber' post='568640' date='Aug 14 2009, 08:50 AM']Corrected that for you. This is the Barefaced forum after all! :rolleyes:

Alex[/quote]

Any chance you could photoshop some of those tatty old Fender basses out of your 'Barefaced' thread... you'd think bass hadn't moved on in the last 50/60 years! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='569091' date='Aug 14 2009, 02:52 PM']Any chance you could photoshop some of those tatty old Fender basses out of your 'Barefaced' thread... you'd think bass hadn't moved on in the last 50/60 years! :)[/quote]

But I like tatty old basses! If it wasn't for the fact I hate having unplayed instruments around I'd have a flatwound strung Precision and a tapewound strung Jazz myself. As it is I just play my weird thru-necked chambered 36" scale passive beast for everything.

Alex

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='568904' date='Aug 14 2009, 12:23 PM']Alex, have you ever made a frequency response plot (even just a modelled one) for the Vintage? I'd be really interested to see it, and I'm sure there would be a few other interested parties.

Oh, and... port plugs. Progress? :)[/quote]

I'll have the port plugs soon - that supplier is out of stock but its imminent. And regarding frequency response, on-axis it's pretty damn flat up to 4kHz. There's a bit of a bump from the lower midrange downwards where the speakers couple and then there'll be some wiggles due to the baffle size as you go lower. But all in all its pretty good and even across the whole 50-4000Hz passband.

I do want to do some proper measurements of everything soon but it's a time-consuming exercise. And you really need a lot of measurements to paint an accurate picture - in my opinion half space on-axis on its own just doesn't cut it.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='569120' date='Aug 14 2009, 03:10 PM']I'll have the port plugs soon - that supplier is out of stock but its imminent. And regarding frequency response, on-axis it's pretty damn flat up to 4kHz. There's a bit of a [b]bump from the lower midrange downwards where the speakers couple [/b]and then there'll be some wiggles due to the baffle size as you go lower. But all in all its pretty good and even across the whole 50-4000Hz passband.

I do want to do some proper measurements of everything soon but it's a time-consuming exercise. And you really need a lot of measurements to paint an accurate picture - in my opinion half space on-axis on its own just doesn't cut it.

Alex[/quote]

I was just reading on the Martin Audio site, they have a passive full range cab with a 2x15 in, where the 15" cones work together up to a certain frequency, then to counteract the problem you speak of, only one of the 15's takes over for the midrange frequencies, then the treble unit takes over for eveything above.

A neat idea?

[quote name='dood' post='569201' date='Aug 14 2009, 04:38 PM']I was just reading on the Martin Audio site, they have a passive full range cab with a 2x15 in, where the 15" cones work together up to a certain frequency, then to counteract the problem you speak of, only one of the 15's takes over for the midrange frequencies, then the treble unit takes over for eveything above.[/quote]

That's what I'd do for a PA cab, like the 2x12" plus large horn tweeter I'm planning. But if you want that kind of response in a bass cab then that's what the Big One is for.

When I referred to a bump from the lower midrange downwards, I wasn't referring to it as a problem - it's a benefit! That's once reason why big rigs sound big - lots of coupling in the lower frequencies increases fatness.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='569120' date='Aug 14 2009, 03:10 PM']And regarding frequency response, on-axis it's pretty damn flat up to 4kHz. There's a bit of a bump from the lower midrange downwards where the speakers couple and then there'll be some wiggles due to the baffle size as you go lower. But all in all its pretty good and even across the whole 50-4000Hz passband.[/quote]
Hmmm. Interesting. So is the bump that I've heard somewhere around 1-2kHz part of the speaker coupling bump? If so, it's a good, good thing.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='569213' date='Aug 14 2009, 04:48 PM']Hmmm. Interesting. So is the bump that I've heard somewhere around 1-2kHz part of the speaker coupling bump? If so, it's a good, good thing.[/quote]

No, the bump around there is part of the natural response, the coupling is lower down. I think what's most notable with these woofers is they don't have any dips in their response, whilst cheaper drivers tend to have gaps in the midrange, plus the break-up nodes are very controlled so they don't get all peaky in the top-end.

Alex

[quote name='Raggy' post='569920' date='Aug 15 2009, 02:00 PM']Out of interest, could these ever come with black cloth instead of silver?[/quote]

I've been thinking about that and it makes sense to offer such options. So going forward you'll be able to have black with silver cloth grill as standard, or specially order:

Black metal grill (no cost)
Custom cloth (+£25)
Custom colour metal grill (+£50)

White finish (+£25)
Custom colour finish (+£50)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='569930' date='Aug 15 2009, 02:12 PM']I've been thinking about that and it makes sense to offer such options. So going forward you'll be able to have black with silver cloth grill as standard, or specially order:

Black metal grill (no cost)
Custom cloth (+£25)
Custom colour metal grill (+£50)

White finish (+£25)
Custom colour finish (+£50)

Alex[/quote]
Bollocks. An all white one would have been awesome :)

Gigged it twice this weekend people, and it has very quickly become my favourite bass sound ever. I finally hear only the bass and amp, no speaker distortion. The cab will do deep or bright, middy or smiley, and it will do all without breaking a sweat. And my god is it loud. And light. Lovely!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='566665' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:10 PM']It would just be SO big! And total overkill for almost anyone. However I have considered a cab with 2 x 3012LFs plus mid and optional tweeter in a Vintage sized/shape box - the size is just right. I really need to find someone who actually reaches the limit of the Big One on a gig though, it seems we're a long way from that happening with current users. Looking forward to Dood's test-run!

Alex[/quote]

Errr... hello. :) I would be extremely interested in trying some monster Barefaced cabs and very much suspect that at my gig volumes I would need something bigger than a Big One.

Having just tried the Compact briefly I'd be potentially interested in a pair of something pure evil and ridiculous at some point.

Edited by joegarcia

Gigged the Vintage twice this weekend, yesterday was a sh*tty pub gig with lots of emo haircuts using my rig. One guy, with a really cool mullet, thought the best thing to do was use his Hartke HA3500 head, boost all the lows and turn the wick up to 10. Honestly, the bass sounded like it was going through my function band's 6kW PA subs but was only going through the Vintage. Awesome power! Seems to have survived the haircuts too :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='566665' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:10 PM']I really need to find someone who actually reaches the limit of the Big One on a gig though, it seems we're a long way from that happening with current users.[/quote]

Working on it.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='576829' date='Aug 21 2009, 04:17 PM']Errr... hello. :) I would be extremely interested in trying some monster Barefaced cabs and very much suspect that at my gig volumes I would need something bigger than a Big One.[/quote]

I've had the LH-1000 above 6 [where it really gets loud] a couple of times with me Big Juan, but I haven't as yet found a suitable venue for an extended play at these levels and the other bands tend to complain in the rehearsal studio. Quite fancy 2 Big Juans X-fired though.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='579888' date='Aug 25 2009, 09:48 AM']Working on it.

I've had the LH-1000 above 6 [where it really gets loud] a couple of times with me Big Juan, but I haven't as yet found a suitable venue for an extended play at these levels and the other bands tend to complain in the rehearsal studio. Quite fancy 2 Big Juans X-fired though.[/quote]

Joe thinks the living room is a suitable venue to see how loud a 2x15 will go without farting at 2am.

What would be the guess for a side by side comparison between a Big one and a GS412 or a Vintage and the same? Thats what he really wants to know.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='580620' date='Aug 25 2009, 07:47 PM']What would be the guess for a side by side comparison between a Big one and a GS412 or a Vintage and the same? Thats what he really wants to know.[/quote]

Based on what I've picked up about the GS 12" driver, I'd bet on the Big One being about as loud as the GS412 but needing more power to reach that SPL, whilst the Vintage will go louder and be just as sensitive.

Alex

The first of the new generation of Vintage cabs has just been collected by its owner. I weighed the empty cab last night but appear to have mislaid my scales since then. I can tell you that unloaded it was about 29lbs, so you need to add the weight of wheels, handles, bolts, grill and speakers to that. At just under 16lbs for both speakers I think we're probably looking at ~48lb (22kg) complete.

Looking forward to hearing how this one compares to the Ampeg 8x10" it's supplementing/replacing!

Alex

[quote name='doctorbass' post='587802' date='Sep 2 2009, 06:43 PM']Any Vintage pics?[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=46789&view=findpost&p=535151"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=535151[/url]

(I will get some official ones onto the website shortly!)

Alex

• 3 weeks later...